Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What is the Shortest Flight on Delta Air Lines?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2005, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone know what the shortest DL flight is? Also how about the shortest DL Connection flight. If this has already been talked about could someone please direct me to the location.
Old May 9, 2005, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Explorer card, AA Plat, Copa Plat, IHG Plat,
Day to CVG

Not sure if this is shortest or not but DAY TO CVG is 63 miles
Old May 9, 2005, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rrohio
Not sure if this is shortest or not but DAY TO CVG is 63 miles
That's what I was thinking. I've been on this before and it's like you go up and come right back down.
Old May 9, 2005, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL DM
My thoughts:
Shortest Connection: CVG-DAY (63mi as stated above)
Shortest Mainline: CVG-LEX (70mi)
Old May 9, 2005, 2:49 pm

Programs: Skyteam Elite, Starwood Gold, Kmart ShopYourWay Rewards
What's the shortest scheduled DL "heavy" flight?
ATL-MCO (around 450 miles) comes to mind.
Old May 9, 2005, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NHFL9
My thoughts:
Shortest Connection: CVG-DAY (63mi as stated above)
Shortest Mainline: CVG-LEX (70mi)
I've always wondered why they have mainline LEX-CVG and not DAY-CVG.
Old May 9, 2005, 3:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by bursa
DL used to have a scheduled flight from Honolulu, Oahu to Kahului, Maui.
It was on an L-1011 and was a grand total of 92 miles. I flew it on a number of occasions when connecting to/from the islands.
But since this flight no longer exists, I guess it doesn't qualify....
Old May 9, 2005, 4:48 pm

Programs: DL 1 MM/DM; HH Lifetime Diamond; Hertz Presidents Circle
This flight is all but 14 minutes or so. I took this flight last October or something like that. At least it's jet service (FRJ). If it were NW, this flight would be on a prop plane.

Originally Posted by UAL123
That's what I was thinking. I've been on this before and it's like you go up and come right back down.
Old May 9, 2005, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NOLA Flyer
This flight is all but 14 minutes or so. I took this flight last October or something like that. At least it's jet service (FRJ). If it were NW, this flight would be on a prop plane.
Actually, Delta changed the DAY-CVG flights from FRJ's to 5 CRJ's and 2 CRJ 700's. Also, now that I'm thinking about it on United I flew a prop from SNA-LAX. That has to be the shortest commercial flight on any airline.
Old May 9, 2005, 5:14 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally Posted by NOLA Flyer
Why is a jet on a 14 minute flight a good thing?

Do you enjoy wasting fuel?
Old May 9, 2005, 5:33 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I've always wondered why they have mainline LEX-CVG and not DAY-CVG.
That is because it is a “continuation” of a flight from Atlanta to Lexington.

I recently flew from Atlanta to Cincinnati via Lexington. Both flights had completely different flight numbers, but use the same crew and aircraft, which is one of the MD-88 aircraft with the refurbished interior. It is approximately a one-hour wait between flights, and passengers must deplane in Lexington.

I went upstairs to the deserted “observation deck” (where there is not much of a view) to pass the time.

I was upgraded to the first class cabin on both flights. On the first flight, the first class cabin was full, but the flight was not. On the second flight, even the first class cabin was half-empty, and there were only about a dozen or so passengers in the coach cabin. Because there would have been no time to serve anything during the flight from Lexington to Cincinnati, the flight attendant served drinks and snacks in the first class cabin before the aircraft pushed back from the gate.

The maximum altitude for the 16-minute flight from Lexington to Cincinnati is 10,000 feet.

Last edited by Canarsie; May 9, 2005 at 5:37 pm
Old May 9, 2005, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Canarsie
That is because it is a “continuation” of a flight from Atlanta to Lexington.

I recently flew from Atlanta to Cincinnati via Lexington. Both flights had completely different flight numbers, but use the same crew and aircraft, which is one of the MD-88 aircraft with the refurbished interior. It is approximately a one-hour wait between flights, and passengers must deplane in Lexington.

I went upstairs to the deserted “observation deck” (where there is not much of a view) to pass the time.

I was upgraded to the first class cabin on both flights. On the first flight, the first class cabin was full, but the flight was not. On the second flight, even the first class cabin was half-empty, and there were only about a dozen or so passengers in the coach cabin. Because there would have been no time to serve anything during the flight from Lexington to Cincinnati, the flight attendant served drinks and snacks in the first class cabin before the aircraft pushed back from the gate.

The maximum altitude for the flight from Lexington to Cincinnati is 10,000 feet.
Thanks for clearing my question up. I find it interesting that you flew ATL-LEX-CVG. Not to be nosy but did you do that just to get extra miles or was the fare cheaper.
Old May 9, 2005, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM+
Originally Posted by bursa

There was the DUB-SNN flight that seemed about 20 minutes or so... Not sure if it still exists or the rotate snn-atl and dub-atl now days
Old May 9, 2005, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
That has to be the shortest commercial flight on any airline.
Not even close, about 5 years ago I was on a UAX flight from GRB-ATW, a full 11 miles shorter than SNA-LAX.
Old May 9, 2005, 7:24 pm

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Aug 9, 2007 at 9:17 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.