FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Horrifying experience in SLC today (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1177240-horrifying-experience-slc-today.html)

tvnwz Jan 28, 2011 7:11 am

I am sorry the OP had such a miserable experience. and I am sorry everyone here is dumping on him.

And this is another reminder why you should never pack anymore than what you can take in a rollaboard and a small personal bag. Never check any luggage. Never. Never. Never.

majorwibi Jan 28, 2011 7:44 am

Originally Posted by tvnwz (Post 15753335)
I am sorry the OP had such a miserable experience. and I am sorry everyone here is dumping on him.

I'm sorry the OP FELT they had such a miserable experience but I go back to the fact that airline employees dont just call the police for minor issues. To get the police called (especially in SLC) is not something that just happens frequently.

I'm sorry the OP feels like we are picking on them but there is much more to this story than what is being told here and most FTers know that having the cops called on you is not something that "just happens"

TheMadBrewer Jan 28, 2011 8:00 am

Originally Posted by andymo99 (Post 15746855)
As an aside, I find it odd that a west coast multi-year PM could be that unfamiliar with SLC.

I've never flown thru SLC -- granted I've only flown DL since the merger but that is basically two years. Depends on your travel patterns. Never flown thru CVG either.

Crazyhotelguy Jan 28, 2011 8:10 am

Originally Posted by majorwibi (Post 15753544)
I'm sorry the OP FELT they had such a miserable experience but I go back to the fact that airline employees dont just call the police for minor issues. To get the police called (especially in SLC) is not something that just happens frequently.

I'm sorry the OP feels like we are picking on them but there is much more to this story than what is being told here and most FTers know that having the cops called on you is not something that "just happens"

+1.

spc354 Jan 28, 2011 8:24 am

Peace...

Originally Posted by Vuelos (Post 15748354)
DL charges a Platinum Medallion for bags? Must be news to me.

[/B] in the inconvenienced pax kit.

By that logic, a person traveling on a reward ticket has no rights! Wasn't the status "earned?"

I have close to 2M butt-in-seat miles on NW/DL and cannot remember when I have last seen the "inconvenienced pax" kit.

Vuelos Jan 28, 2011 9:16 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain (Post 15749224)
This is a great, argument, Vuelos! As the OP did not get charged for a specific service (checked baggage), he is not entitled to that service. ^

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain (Post 15747829)
No, it is not the OP's fault. Delta charges extra for a specific service (checked baggage) that they did not provide to the OP.

Which point are you making? The OP didn't pay for an extra service... I was simply responding to your misinformation.

Originally Posted by spc354 (Post 15753785)
By that logic, a person traveling on a reward ticket has no rights! Wasn't the status "earned?"

I have close to 2M butt-in-seat miles on NW/DL and cannot remember when I have last seen the "inconvenienced pax" kit.

No, I was simply correcting an error... As for the inconvenienced kit, they are given out @ Baggage Services and contain a toothbrush (and in ATL a Skyteam t-shirt) amongst other things.

Vuelos Jan 28, 2011 9:22 am

Originally Posted by fti (Post 15749335)
I *always* carry a change of clothes and my toiletries in my carry on. Surprised that as a PM with the amount of flying you do that you didn't think of that.

Sorry that you feel posting was an unpleasant experience. Sometimes the truth hurts, sometimes it is easier for people to be harsh on an anonymous forum, sometimes a combination of those two and others.

Just wanted to add a hearty +1 onto your thoughts. Taking responsibility for yourself is always a good thing and the OP could learn to take that to heart that way next time an IROPS happens, (s)he is better prepared.

andymo99 Jan 28, 2011 9:43 am

Originally Posted by SkiUtah (Post 15750792)
Get off your high horse. I grew up in NYC and my whole family lives there so you can take a guess as to how familiar i am with Harlem. You wrongfully assumed things about me based on my screen name also! I said i COULD make probably wrongful assumptions about him but i chose not too maybe you need to reread what i wrote. " Its changed alot" "In Harlem, 61 percent of all children live below the poverty line" yeah its really an amazing place isn't it (hungerreport 2010)

If the poster lives in Harlem (an enormous assumption), I doubt they live below the poverty line.

I also never claimed Harlem is "really an amazing place."

So get off your high horse.

RatherBeOnATrain Jan 28, 2011 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Vuelos (Post 15754140)
Which point are you making? The OP didn't pay for an extra service... I was simply responding to your misinformation.

AFAIK, at no point on Delta's website does Delta advise passengers about the need to carry toiletries and a change of clothing onboard. Rather, the "Baggage Tips" and "Travel Tips" section of Delta's website do everything possible to convince passengers not to carry on items. For example, the Baggage Trips page suggests that the passenger "Check as many bags as possible to make clearing Security Checkpoints smooth and fast."

On another Baggage Trips page, it says "Carry valuables, medication, and travel documents in your carry-on luggage." Clothing and toiletries are not listed in that list.

Here's another link to a Delta page that advises "Travel light when you can. Try bringing one carry-on bag that will fit underneath the seat in front of you."

Multiple posters in this thread have bashed the OP for merely following the advice that Delta posts on its own website.

Given what Delta's posting on their website, I think that Delta (1) darn-well better be able to return baggage to passengers during IROPs and (2) the OP had excellent reason to be angry at Delta for how he/she was treated.

Harlem Jan 28, 2011 10:25 am

We are not getting the true/whole story here. The cops were called for a reason. First you threaten to call the cops, then if things don't change you call the cops. So even after a warning the OP was still so out of control that a phone call was made. I've never called the cops on someone -have you? Imagine how out of line the person must be for you to do so.

Further, the cops were called on one of the (let's assume) 100 people who were in a similar situation. My suggestion is that this one needs to examine how the others on that flight handled the same situation and why her/his reaction was so different.

Harlem Jan 28, 2011 10:26 am

The following clip should be a must watch before Flyertalk let's anyone post on this forum. Starting at 2 minutes in (clip is a total of 4 minutes) Louis speaks of the worst, most complaining generation and specifically about people complaining about air travel - check it out it's very funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk

PS I don't want my bags back during IROPs. What a pain to lug them around.

DL2SXM Jan 28, 2011 10:44 am

Originally Posted by DDCT (Post 15746316)
I think we've found the problem.

+1

its to bad there was no birdie in the sky. Would love to hear some of the back and forth the OP had with these retched employees.

DL2SXM Jan 28, 2011 10:45 am

Originally Posted by nogophers (Post 15746902)

LOL, I nearly pissed my pants. Fortunately I am home and have a fresh change of underwear. This is my new screen saver btw, LOVE IT!!!

DL2SXM Jan 28, 2011 10:56 am

Originally Posted by andymo99 (Post 15750678)
You didn't generalize about the poster, but you sure did generalize about the neighborhood without thinking twice! (And I'm curious when you were last in Harlem, anyway... it's changed a lot in the past decade or so.)

Did i make the lock? :D

I have been a cop in Harlem since 1993. Some parts of it have changed for the better, some are the same whereas some parts are for the worse (not many). However, Harlem is NOT a shythole. You have starbucks all over the place, NY Sports clubs, hi priced condos, even an Applebees on W125th street.

There are A LOT of nice things about Harlem. There are some streets to avoid and some streets that are a must to visit. I can go on but its getting way off topic.

check out Harlem, NY

http://harlemcondolife.com/2010/04/1...new-york-city/

tvnwz Jan 28, 2011 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Harlem (Post 15754630)
We are not getting the true/whole story here. The cops were called for a reason. First you threaten to call the cops, then if things don't change you call the cops. So even after a warning the OP was still so out of control that a phone call was made. I've never called the cops on someone -have you? Imagine how out of line the person must be for you to do so.

Further, the cops were called on one of the (let's assume) 100 people who were in a similar situation. My suggestion is that this one needs to examine how the others on that flight handled the same situation and why her/his reaction was so different.

I have seen several occasions when cops have been called to the gate area for no reason. But only once in baggage claim. In my experience, this could be true. While rare, it does happen. And it can happen quickly without warning or provocation.