Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Horrifying experience in SLC today

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:37 am

Programs: BMI DC Gold, BA Gold, LH SEN, Priority Club Platinum, Nectar purple
I love it when there's a post, particularly from a relatively new member, with any of the following words in its title:

terrible, horrifying, appalling, horrendous, shocking, harrowing, unspeakable, atrocious etc etc

I then read through the post anticipating a tale involving at least a major injury, but instead find time and time again, a tale detailing a minor inconvenience.

Having said that, if it had been me I would have quite liked my bag back too, and I don't know what a red coat is either. However, I would have probably written 'annoying experience in SLC today'.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:41 am

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by Doug_1970
I love it when there's a post, particularly from a relatively new member, with any of the following words in its title:

terrible, horrifying, appalling, horrendous, shocking, harrowing, unspeakable, atrocious etc etc

I then read through the post anticipating a tale involving at least a major injury, but instead find time and time again, a tale detailing a minor inconvenience.

Having said that, if it had been me I would have quite liked my bag back too, and I don't know what a red coat is either. However, I would have probably written 'annoying experience in SLC today'.
I was thinking the same thing. I opened the thread expecting too read about someone getting their leg torn off in the escalator or something similar. I won't lie, I was kind of disappointed.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by Doug_1970

To an honest citizen, having the police called is a horrifying experience.

Very shabby treatment by Delta of a PM. I learned my lesson years ago - Delta is terrible with service recovery and the weather. If a meeting is critical, fly out in advance, if not, reschedule after the weather.

Delta and bad weather do not mix.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
I have said it many times on here and I guess it is unpopulor to some at least, but your attitude goes a long way towards getting your situation handled.

If this happens to you again, I would grab a Red Coat and stay with him or her until you get what you need. If they called the police, I have to assume there was some heated conversation to the point that they feel like they can justify it.... that would be a real bad deal for an employee to justify without good cause.

FWIW, knowing the WX to your destination and any hubs is a very smart thing to do and prepare accordingly. Having necessities on your person is typically a good way to travel, but especially if you are flying into an epic blizzard.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:00 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by elvessa
I can't imagine that more people than not prefer to spend the night without a toothbrush or clean underwear and, given that the bags all eventually appeared on the carosel I imagine such was the case.
That's your own fault. If you cannot properly pack for when .... happens, so be it. Put 1 change of clothes and your necessities (tooth brush, deodorant, prescriptions) into your CARRY ON BAG so you ensure you don't have to spend the night without underwear or a tooth brush.

Hell, any halfway decent hotel WILL HAVE A TOOTHBRUSH so all you needed was a pair of underwear in your bag.

Thanks for making posting on this forum such an unpleasant experience, by assuming that it was my fault for, basically, refusing to be a sheep and bow down to the demands of people employed to service my needs.
Pretty sure this attitude explains why you had the cops called on you.

And yes, they know who you are.

If you believe I have a sense of entitlement that customer service personell actually service customers, and that such is a bad thing, well then I do.

For the few that were supportive and/or offered helpful suggestions: thanks, it was appreciated.
You have an inflated ego that's pretty apparent in your posts. If you were a once a year traveler who didn't know what to expect traveling during nasty IROPS, then I'd understand but to get bent out of shape because you didn't take appropriate precautions, that's just your own fault.

Next time, prepare better and have a better attitude.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:03 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by hazelrah
To an honest citizen, having the police called is a horrifying experience.

Very shabby treatment by Delta of a PM. I learned my lesson years ago - Delta is terrible with service recovery and the weather. If a meeting is critical, fly out in advance, if not, reschedule after the weather.
From the OP's attitude on here, it doesn't surprise me. Then again, I'm the type that takes ownership of my shortcomings and remembers that the employees are people too. Though blaming them versus taking responsibility for your own mistakes is far simpler.

Originally Posted by Robert Leach
I... any customer affected by a cancellation -- weather or otherwise -- should have the "right" to get his bag back if an overnight stay will be involved....
At an outstation, yes that's much more doable. At a hub like SLC or ATL or JFK, how do you expect for that to happen? Sometimes what is "easy" to do is far from it.

Originally Posted by Robert Leach
I am not saying that all bags should be dumped on the carousel, but certainly those who want the bag should get it with no questions asked and without an excessive delay.

I once went through a nightmare scenario because of a refusal of the ATL bag office to return bags from a canceled flight (I was rebooked into a different city the following day and the bag agent had the gall to tell me that the bag would somehow magically get retagged to the other city, as she refused to have it brought back up).
That's basically the only way for one to ensure bags get to pax. then again, what about the pax who may be rebooked? Now their bag is stuck in the hub and, for all you know, it got picked up by some thief. There's a reason they don't dump bags on the carousel during IROPS. Plus describing a bag is only so easy when there are thousands waiting in the back room....
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, HH Diamond, MR Lifetime Plat/Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Vuelos

At an outstation, yes that's much more doable. At a hub like SLC or ATL or JFK, how do you expect for that to happen? Sometimes what is "easy" to do is far from it.
Couple of months ago i flew through SLC and also ended up with an IRROP, in this case, the A320 pilot did not show and they could not find another so the flight eventually cxld.

I found that the gate and baggage agents were extremely helpful and friendly when i spoke with them in a friendly tone and empathized that they were having to deal with 150+ passengers that were not happy.

I was re-booked to a red-eye to ATL and then a connection to my final destination to get me there in the morning before my meeting. I requested that they return my bag to me so that i could change into my suit in ATL before boarding my final flight.

"no problem Mr. b0nd0, it will be on the baggage carousel in about 20 minutes."

Speak to those in service positions the way you would like to be spoken to and the entire conversation can be considered pleasant.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: United 1k ; SW A+ Preferred; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Proof once again that irrops, stressed-out employees, and high-strung, egomaniacal passengers always make for a bad travel experience. What a NIGHTMARE!!
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:24 am

Programs: Delta FO
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
Kind of a different scenario, but baggage related. On a recent flight my bag was mis-loaded and sent to another city.

Long story short, even as a medallion there is little help from the DL baggage department. I also tried getting somewhere with the medallion line and they basically wash their hands of it and tell you to call baggage. While the phone agents were friendly, the baggage office staff were less than helpful.
I partly agree/disagree. Phone reps aren't helpful, but baggage office employees can be great.

After a weather cancellation in ATL my bag was sent to the destination (DCA) even though I had decided to just cancel the trip.

Next day I called the plat line and baggage service 1-800 number to specifically ask for the phone number of the baggage office at DCA. Both refused to give it out. Called the DCA airport, they refused to give it out.

3 or 4 days later, a fantastic delta employee in the DCA baggage office called me about the bag and arranged for it to be forwarded to a different destination. We discussed options for my bags itinerary, she gave me phone numbers for the baggage office at the destination and stopover airports.

I flight tracked my bag, called another fantastic baggage office employee, who hand picked it off the carousel and had a van waiting for delivery.

All the while the DCA agent told me to call her directly if there were any problems along the way. She'd take care of it.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DDCT
I think we've found the problem.
+1. If you don't need hand holding, OP, pack what you need in a carry on in the future.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
Agents in SLC do not call the police for just any reason. There is a significant internal review that occurs when the police are called to any situation inside the airport property by an airline employee.

Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
Wonder if the baggage folks were demoted from previous GA jobs?
Actually its usually the opposite that occurs (at least in SLC) since the lost baggage office is usually one of the most stressful places for a PAX.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: DL DM; Hertz Gold PC
I believe this could solve 99% of problems:
Originally Posted by b0nd0
Speak to those in service positions the way you would like to be spoken to and the entire conversation can be considered pleasant.
^
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
The point that should be made here is that DL employees need to better watch what they say and how they say it! My wife, a PM for several years, was traveling with a daughter and they were on the list for a companion upgrade. They cleared my wife but not my daughter. When my wife said that she would prefer to sit in coach with her daughter, the ATL gate agent said: "You are all alike! I already gave away your coach seat." My wife was so insulted and when she related the story several days later to me, she was still quite angry.
Now I understand the GA was busy trying to close out a flight, but nonetheless, DL employees (or any employees, for that matter) need to watch what they say!
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:12 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Deleted
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by Vuelos
That's your own fault. If you cannot properly pack for when .... happens, so be it. Put 1 change of clothes and your necessities (tooth brush, deodorant, prescriptions) into your CARRY ON BAG so you ensure you don't have to spend the night without underwear or a tooth brush.
No, it is not the OP's fault. Delta charges extra for a specific service (checked baggage) that they did not provide to the OP.

Last edited by RatherBeOnATrain; Jan 27, 2011 at 12:19 pm Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.