Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Horrifying experience in SLC today

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
i did not believe it was policy to return bags to pax during irrops as such. It has been my experience that the bags meet you at the destination.
There would have been many people on that flight whose final destination was not EWR and could have been rerouted on that same day. I would not expect the bags to be returned except perhaps on request.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:45 am
Suspended

Baggage Folks

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
Those are some touchy baggage agents!

Then again, where have you ever met a nice baggage agent? They're all pretty much the same foul and grumpy employees you'll ever meet
Wonder if the baggage folks were demoted from previous GA jobs?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
I would WRITE a snail letter to DL, not just an email, explaining the situation.

I would also write to the DL station manager at SLC. The baggage agent was WAY out of line.

DL always has baggage issues when a flight is cancelled. Why can they not simply send the baggage up like any flight is beyond me.

As to DL and treatment of elites, I agree...usually they do a great job.

Dave
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: Delta Ham Sammich, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold, Chalet Suites Matterhorn
Originally Posted by Davescj
DL always has baggage issues when a flight is cancelled. Why can they not simply send the baggage up like any flight is beyond me.
I can only imagine the outcry that would result if they *did* do a general baggage dump on every irop. I think many passengers prefer to have bags "automatically" follow them on whatever rebooking they get.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:19 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Frozentech
I can only imagine the outcry that would result if they *did* do a general baggage dump on every irop. I think many passengers prefer to have bags "automatically" follow them on whatever rebooking they get.
agreed. Granted, it should be easier to get your bag uf you requesr it, but that coild be a logistical nightmare...
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
I would expect them to not return all bags off a WX'ed flight. Not everyone is going to co get their bag. Some people may choose to stay airside and sleep in the terminal. If they did not go get their bag and re-check it, what would happen to it?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Frozentech
What is the policy for international travel?

I was attempting to fly EWR-AMS during the post-Christmas blizzard in NYC. The flight was eventually cancelled, and I was rebooked on the next night's flight. Recalling past IROPS experiences, I assumed Delta would keep my checked bag and reroute it as appropriate. When I returned to EWR the next day, however, the check-in agent informed me that I needed to retrieve my bag from the baggage office and re-check it.

Luckily (?) my bag was just sitting around outside the office among hundreds of others, so I didn't have to wait to reclaim it.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:40 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Kind of a different scenario, but baggage related. On a recent flight my bag was mis-loaded and sent to another city.

Long story short, even as a medallion there is little help from the DL baggage department. I also tried getting somewhere with the medallion line and they basically wash their hands of it and tell you to call baggage. While the phone agents were friendly, the baggage office staff were less than helpful.

I find it best to get through the situation as best as possible and then send DL a letter or email after the fact. That's what I did and I received an apology within a few days. Yes, it's not the perfect situation, but you do what you can. I always try to be understanding, but also explain the importance of them not giving me a boilerplate response.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:42 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Delta and bad weather do not mix, not the least of which is due to Delta short-staffing. While the OP has many legitimate complaints, for future reference If the weather is bad just reschedule your meeting.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nordstrom Fashion Rewards Super Elite
Fascinating that so many missed the point and/or totally misread my post: I was not complaining about the flight cancellation or missing a meeting. Clearly such things happen. I did not have three agents yell at me; one did. Another simply refused to assist in any way.

I can't imagine that more people than not prefer to spend the night without a toothbrush or clean underwear and, given that the bags all eventually appeared on the carosel I imagine such was the case.

Finally, yes, I am a plat and no, I dont know what a red coat is, likely because I manage to go about my travels without the need for hand-holding.

Thanks for making posting on this forum such an unpleasant experience, by assuming that it was my fault for, basically, refusing to be a sheep and bow down to the demands of people employed to service my needs. If you believe I have a sense of entitlement that customer service personell actually service customers, and that such is a bad thing, well then I do.

For the few that were supportive and/or offered helpful suggestions: thanks, it was appreciated.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: DL Diamond, United GS, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by elvessa
Fascinating that so many missed the point and/or totally misread my post: I was not complaining about the flight cancellation or missing a meeting. Clearly such things happen. I did not have three agents yell at me; one did. Another simply refused to assist in any way.

I can't imagine that more people than not prefer to spend the night without a toothbrush or clean underwear and, given that the bags all eventually appeared on the carosel I imagine such was the case.

Finally, yes, I am a plat and no, I dont know what a red coat is, likely because I manage to go about my travels without the need for hand-holding.

Thanks for making posting on this forum such an unpleasant experience, by assuming that it was my fault for, basically, refusing to be a sheep and bow down to the demands of people employed to service my needs. If you believe I have a sense of entitlement that customer service personell actually service customers, and that such is a bad thing, well then I do.

For the few that were supportive and/or offered helpful suggestions: thanks, it was appreciated.
I think we've found the problem.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:08 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one who packs their toothbrush and most toiletries WITH us in our carry-on or personal bag... as well as a fresh pair of huggies in case something like this happens.

horrifying might be an incident like Moscow the other day. or, more mildly, when you crap your pants and didn't pack that extra change of undies in your carry-on
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:19 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Fascinating that so many missed the point and/or totally misread my post...

"Fascinating" indeed.

So basically it is "thanks to those who agree with me and go screw to those who don't."

As an aside, I find it odd that a west coast multi-year PM could be that unfamiliar with SLC.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:23 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
I am not big on declaring "rights" where no true right exists, but count me as one who thinks that any customer affected by a cancellation -- weather or otherwise -- should have the "right" to get his bag back if an overnight stay will be involved. I am not saying that all bags should be dumped on the carousel, but certainly those who want the bag should get it with no questions asked and without an excessive delay.

I once went through a nightmare scenario because of a refusal of the ATL bag office to return bags from a canceled flight (I was rebooked into a different city the following day and the bag agent had the gall to tell me that the bag would somehow magically get retagged to the other city, as she refused to have it brought back up).

The bag is mine, not the airline's. If the flight is not operating and I'm going to be stuck overnight, then give me back my bag.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:26 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Sky Club

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.