Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Longest upgrade list you've experienced?

Longest upgrade list you've experienced?

Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MarkP24
It's also possible that not everyone checked in. I find that people with higher status, possibly looking to change their flights same day, will avoid checking in until later. I'm sure there was also some FCM that contributed to it though. Sorry it didn't work out.
The number of people on the list increasing is certainly due to not everyone being checked-in. I think the question was maybe more about going from 5 seats available to 0 (although OP did not make clear when those final seats went away -- if it was at the gate, then presumably they were just upgrades). Seat count going down could also be due to SDC to FC from other flights and not all FCM. I usually stop seeing FCM offers when a flight gets down to around F4 or F3. It could be that DL is just picking on me, but I'm not convinced the algorithms are as sophisticated as some here believe. I typically buy cheap X/V fares and used to rarely see FCM offers on those fares prior to May 2017. It's seems pretty clear they tweaked things back then and original booking class doesn't seem to be a factor in when you get them or how much they are charging.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles DM, Hertz President Circle, Enterprise Platinum, IHG, BW Diamond Select, AA EXP
I can speak for a fact FCM offers vary between customers. In my experience I booked two trips in exactly the same class and fare bucket, but on separate PNR. I was flying ATW-DTW-PHX a couple moths ago my FCM for DTW-PHX was $324 and my traveling companion was $189. I was GM at the time and companion was general Skymiles member. We were both on K fares if memory serves me right.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by hotshot265
I can speak for a fact FCM offers vary between customers. In my experience I booked two trips in exactly the same class and fare bucket, but on separate PNR. I was flying ATW-DTW-PHX a couple moths ago my FCM for DTW-PHX was $324 and my traveling companion was $189. I was GM at the time and companion was general Skymiles member. We were both on K fares if memory serves me right.
That's my concern. Those who with lower or no status, including diamonds dropping to platinum in 2019 because of the Delta-branded American Express Reserve credit card MQD waiver changes, will be more likely to pay for an upgrade than a diamond who may still get an upgrade or doesn't consider first-class a value -- especially on shorter flights. I would never pay $75 for Detroit–Chicago, but someone who doesn't know better might.
KenTarmac, MarkP24 and dmarge18 like this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer

Why is DL using a RJ on a hub-to-hub route like SLC-SEA?
Perhaps because SLC is a hub for OO? Now that I think of it, those flights have the most random A/C - everything from CRJ900 to A321s
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by The Situation
Perhaps because SLC is a hub for OO? Now that I think of it, those flights have the most random A/C - everything from CRJ900 to A321s
I imagine that if you look at SEA's big blocks of international departures/arrivals you'd see a correlation between the size of the metal being used (E-175 vs A321) for flights that work nicely with those departures.

Given that SLC is already a West Coast hub (in fact, moreso than SEA in terms of routes), most traffic going SLC<->SEA is going to further connect to a select set of destinations - mostly further East destinations or international destinations. Those tend to have certain time of days that those work - hence the change in metal.

Compare LAX<->SLC where there are many, many destinations not served in common - those will have a more balanced supply/demand profile for connections (less dependent on, e.g., TPAC departure windows).
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:36 pm

DL 1049 JFK-LAX on an A333 on 12/10

Last I saw before boarding was 126 people on the list with one seat in Delta One available. (Don't want to rub it in that I got that one seat.)
AntonS and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by UpUpIntoTheAir
DL 1049 JFK-LAX on an A333 on 12/10

Last I saw before boarding was 126 people on the list with one seat in Delta One available. (Don't want to rub it in that I got that one seat.)
Wow! That's like half the plane!!!
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:14 am

random tuesday evening flight FLL-ATL (I try to use FLL, because PBI seems to be even worse), platinum, 23 of 53 for 3 seats..
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum
IAH-DTW-BWI on a Monday afternoon:

IAH-DTW, CRJ-900, FC full, waiting list cleared, and only one passenger in C+

DTW-BWI, A320, I was 13/40 for three seats---thankfully the one empty C+ seat was next to me.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Wow! That's like half the plane!!!
And presumably, 125 (okay, a few silvers notwithstanding) boarded during the now-former premium and Sky Priority boarding zones. Crazy.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dalewood
IAH-DTW-BWI on a Monday afternoon:

IAH-DTW, CRJ-900, FC full, waiting list cleared, and only one passenger in C+

DTW-BWI, A320, I was 13/40 for three seats---thankfully the one empty C+ seat was next to me.
Maybe because of the weather people changed their Detroit-Baltimore flights to a day early, but 13/40 on the upgrade list for Baltimore is pretty bad. If Baltimore consistently has this many origin-and-destination Delta elites on flights then it should have a Sky Club lounge.

Back in 2013 and 2014 when I used to fly to/from Washington every week, Baltimore was always an easy upgrade. With no lounge, I always enjoyed getting the upgrade and then having lunch or dinner on the Balitmore–Minneapolis flight.

Dulles continues to be easy.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Feb 13, 2019 at 5:55 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Maybe because of the weather people changed their Detroit-Baltimore flights to a day early, but 13/40 on the upgrade list for Baltimore is pretty bad. If Baltimore consistently has this many origin-and-destination Delta elites on flights then it should have a Sky Club lounge.

Back in 2013 and 2014 when I used to fly to/from Washington every week, Baltimore was always an easy upgrade. With no lounge, I was enjoyed getting the upgrade and having lunch or dinner on the BalitmoreMinneapolis flight.

Dulles continues to be easy.
My BWI/ATL routes are about 50/50 the past year or two, but the IAD/ATL routes are just getting harder and harder, which is surprising. I was 20th on the list at one point last year.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dmarge18
My BWI/ATL routes are about 50/50 the past year or two, but the IAD/ATL routes are just getting harder and harder, which is surprising. I was 20th on the list at one point last year.
Everything in and out of Atlanta is difficult.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Everything in and out of Atlanta is difficult.
I think those are the toughest upgrades to clear
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:43 am

Programs: Delta PM
I think those are the toughest upgrades to clear
Tend to agree here, unless you fly off-peak days/times. That's certainly when I have the best success.
MarkP24 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.