Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Longest upgrade list you've experienced?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longest upgrade list you've experienced?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:45 pm

Programs: Long Live NWA Silver Elite,Delta Silver Medallion
Smile LAS >>MSP @ CES Time

Flew back from CES earlier this month. Can't remember if it was a MD88/90 or A320 but the 7AM flight had well over half the plane filled with Elites trying to escape.

I was shooting the breeze with one guy who was a Plat or Diamond and he sat in the back with the rest of us.

I took the bump on the outbound but I'd guess it was similar in term of percentages. I got to Vegas 5 hours later with a lot more miles and a voucher, plus a battle field upgrade on one leg, which is one more upgrade then I would have otherwise have received.

But, I didn't miss dinner

TBF
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL PM(sigh)/2.3MM & a bunch of other programs...
The most I've ever seen personally was almost three full GIDS screens (whatever that number is) on the upgrade list. I don't remember whether or not I was upgraded prior or if I was on the list somewhere. The worst I can remember being was around #11 as a PM and #5 as a DM.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SeaClay007
The worst I can remember being was around #11 as a PM and #5 as a DM.
That's impressive. I certainly have had several instances of being 20+ as a PM.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 1:26 pm

Programs: DELTA
Originally Posted by Frozentech
Last fall as a PM I was #12 of 64 as I recall, on an ATL-MSP flight. No, I didn't get that one !
I think any Hub to Hub flight where ATL is one of the hubs is going to be a nightmare to score an UG reliably on. In MSP, the MSP-ATL direct flight is known as the "Non-Rev Express", which may compound the UG situation even for paying PAX.

-A
Old Jan 22, 2011, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Sez_Who
I have had a couple flts this year where the GA announced that they cut off the UG list at 48. GA said if you weren't already on the list, don't bother asking about it.

Not sure why the magical number of 48.
Worst I've seen was two weeks ago. Had 78 people on the UG list for DCA to ATL (an MD-88). I made the UG on booking, but my colleague (also a DM), wasn't even close. When I asked, the GA said he wasn't in the top 36.

I have no idea how it works, but DL apparently has so many elites that it has to bin them in groups. Given your post, it seems the group size is 12.

Still... hard to believe a DM isn't in the top 36 on any flight.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ScatterX
Still... hard to believe a DM isn't in the top 36 on any flight.
You can likely thank IROPS booking into Y for that one.

But believe me, the FO traveling to STL on a T fare whose DCA-MSP flight got cancelled and instead got rerouted via ATL is much more deserving of the upgrade than the DM :sarcasm:.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, car rental, hotel, etc.
Beat this:

I was 78/126 on a Mon AM ATL-SFO last August as a GM on a LUT.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 2:42 pm

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
IIRC, a few years ago before there were DM's I was on a flight LAX-ATL where I was PM on a full Y (thanx to a meeting being extended and missing the previous day's flights and having to buy up from a mid-level fare), where I was #1 of 74. There were no available seats upfront on the flight but there ended up being 2 no shows. One of the seats went to somebody who walked up and purchased a full fare F just minutes before the flight closed out. I lucked out and ended up with the last seat up-front as I hung out to the very end and was rewarded with the upgrade, getting on the plane and having the door close seconds after I boarded.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
The list was somewhere in the 60's and that's where I was on the UG list. LAX-ATL. Silver traveling on a T fare.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Saw 90+ on a Monday morning ATL-MSP a year or so ago on a 737-800. Fortunately, I was in paid F and didn't have to worry about competing for that last seat in F
Old Jan 22, 2011, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
19 out 75 one Monday morning from ATL to SEA, and on a Y fare. At the time, I was an FO.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 2P DL Gold BMI Gold
ATL-SFO Yesterday was 38 People for 2 seats.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by mersk862
Saw 90+ on a Monday morning ATL-MSP a year or so ago on a 737-800. Fortunately, I was in paid F and didn't have to worry about competing for that last seat in F
Paid F? Were u on an expense account for that trip J?
Old Jan 22, 2011, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by PepeBorja
Originally Posted by skoenig
I've heard they don't want to get into arguments with the passengers with the big bags, figuring those who play by the "rules" (out of consideration for others) will just suffer in silence.
The airlines should work with TSA to keep bags that exceed the size from going through security. In many airports, like PHL, for example, they already have contractors herding people to the proper queue. These folks could "police" the bag size before people queue up. The added revenue captured by the people rejected would be used to pay for more contractors.

Carry on lugagge makes flying an uncivilized nightmare. Last Thursday from CLT-MSP I had two GMs cut into the SkyPriority line and board when the call for children and disabled was made. They cut in front of us, boarding first, and taking the first two bins in the CRJ900 FC section as they refused to valet check their rollerbags, which must be placed sideways.

I hope the SPIRIT airlines experiment works and is adopted by all airlines. When the cost of luggage becomes the same for carry on or checked in, more folks will choose to check in their bags as they can bring more and have no need to rush to board.
Extra-topical - see the first post please.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by FlyDL757
Beat this:

I was 78/126 on a Mon AM ATL-SFO last August as a GM on a LUT.
Winner winner, chicken dinner!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.