Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade to Hawaii using miles

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2002, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Upgrade to Hawaii using miles

I have a reservation for a DL flight from LAX to HNL in Q class. When I tried to use miles to upgrade, I was told that as a general member of SkyMiles, Q class fare is not upgradable with miles. As I expect to become either a SM or GM prior to the trip, what are the upgrade options for this particular flight as a SM or GM? I guess I could use the 800-mile upgrades that would be coming along with SM or GM. Can I use miles to upgrade a Q-class ticket as a SM/GM? Thanks.
Old Feb 14, 2002, 10:16 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Nope, you need an M or higher fare to upgrade with miles. The only other way is to use old FF miles if you have any. Otherwise, you'll need to use segments as a FO (Silver) or segments or a NAMU (North American Medallion Upgrade, 2 earned @40k base miles + 2 more each subsequent 20k base miles) as a GM.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 9:44 am

Programs: Sadly no longer platinum with anyone. Plain old Delta Skymiles member and Marriott Rewards member
Question about upgrading with miles

If my wife and I are flying first class, and our friends are going to be on our flight. If they book a certain fare class, can i upgrade them with my miles?

What fare class must they book, and how many miles would it be? It will be a SLC - OGG flight.

Thanks.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by jasonpbyu
If my wife and I are flying first class, and our friends are going to be on our flight. If they book a certain fare class, can i upgrade them with my miles?

What fare class must they book, and how many miles would it be? It will be a SLC - OGG flight.

Thanks.
Yes.

K+. 15K miles OW (7.5K if Y fare).
Old Apr 4, 2009, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond; UA-Silver (moan); Hilton-DIA; Marriott-PPE; IHG-Plat; NC-Exec Elite
Upgrade with miles to HNL during booking online

Searched forum, but can't find an answer.

Flying to/from HNL on a 'select fare' - M class.

Want to upgrade mainland/HNL segments using miles but can;t seem to figure out how to do this during purchase of fare online.

Can this be done online or do I need to call in to customer service?

Thanks

Mdaecher
Old Apr 4, 2009, 9:34 pm

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
M fares usually aren't much lower than A fares....
Old Apr 4, 2009, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by mdaecher
Can this be done online or do I need to call in to customer service?
Have to call Customer Service - I get them on the phone and ask them to search through itineraries for flights have positive upgrade space, then book the flight online (to avoid the phone fee) and have the agent I have on the line upgrade immediately.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 9:11 pm

Upgrading one coach segment with miles

We booked a round trip flight for my daughter. All the segments are first or business except one which only had coach seats available. At the time we booked it, we were told that if a first class seat became available, that segment could be upgraded by paying the difference in points. I checked tonight and was told that it would completely require re-doing the itinerary. I didn't have much confidence in the agent.
She thought that OGG was Spokane even when I repeatedly corrected her and couldn't understand what I was asking when I asked to verify my daughter's seat assignment on a flight that has a change of equipment. She kept telling me that it had a change of equipment and at one point told me that there were no open seats. I've checked and there are.
Can anyone tell me if I can upgrade by paying the difference? Different people previously gave me different information about whether the change fee of $100 would be required. I'd rather not have to pay it but would if really necessary. The flight in question is 1212 from OGG to LAX on Oct. 13. We are eventually going to BWI but there is no problem with those flights.
Thanks and also to all who helped with a previous problem.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I don't see why they can't upgrade a segment with miles especially when the others are already in first... assuming that upgrade inventory is available.
Its also been my experience that if you are paying to upgrade a ticket from coach to first they waive the change fee. I'd call again and see if you get a more helpful and knowledgable agent.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 6:56 am

Programs: DL DM
There are no seats available for upgrade on 10/13/09 between OGG and LAX. Just because seats are for sale in first class does not mean Delta is willing to release those seats for upgrades. Only 5 seats remain for sale on DL1212 that day; it is very unlikely that any will be released for upgrade. In fact, Delta is only right now willing to sell these seats as full fare first.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 5:53 pm

Upgrading a Q fare to Hawaii with miles

Do Q fares to Hawaii (HNL -> SEA) qualify for the 15k mileage upgrade? I'm not sure if, since Hawaii isn't in the continental U.S., the mileage upgrade is available. Thanks!
Old Feb 8, 2010, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL PM,1MM
Originally Posted by whodat2010
Do Q fares to Hawaii (HNL -> SEA) qualify for the 15k mileage upgrade? I'm not sure if, since Hawaii isn't in the continental U.S., the mileage upgrade is available. Thanks!
For Hawaii, K class fares and higher qualify for mileage upgrade provided it is available (G inventory). There are numerous threads on this that provide more detail. Don't book a higher fare class ticket until you are sure the upgradeable inventory is available.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:35 am
FOH

Programs: DL GM, UA nobody, Marriott Gold
The HNL to SEA upgrade will cost you 15k miles per ticket on top of the upgradeable fare (K+). I booked a couple of those seats (well in the equivalent NWA fare bucket back when nwa.com existed) and there was plenty of availability. nwa.com used to let you search by mileage upgrade availability but I agree that you should use expertflyer.com and/or call to make sure that inventory is available before paying extra for an upgradeable fare.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 2:13 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion & Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Hertz President's Club
MSP-HNL: Redeposit Miles used for Upgrade, then use SWUs

My fiance and I are booked MSP-HNL (unfortunately now through ATL since they cancelled the direct MSP-HNL) next May for our honeymoon. I booked in K class and used 60,000 miles to upgrade.

I was expecting to be only be GM for 2011, but as it turns out I will be PM. I know I can get 4 SWUs as a Choice Benefit and that as a PM, I can also redeposit award miles for free.

I'm wondering if its possible for me to redeposit the 60,000 miles and then use the 4 SWUs in its place. Theoretically, once I redeposit the miles that should open up 2 spots in G, which I could then use the SWUs to re-upgrade.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

Appreciate the help.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I would think the redeposit wouldn't be an issue, but the G inventory might not reappear like one might believe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.