Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

TATL Upgrades using Skymiles and SWUs on Air France/KLM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TATL Upgrades using Skymiles and SWUs on Air France/KLM

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2012, 7:41 am

Programs: DL DM
I just flew ATL-CDG on 10/18 on an AF operated Delta coded flight and called 3, 2, and 1 day before departure to try to upgrade from w to O without any luck. I called DL to upgrade my way back and they said there is availability in O but since my return segment is booked in AF as A, they said its not upgradable. I guess I should have read the fine print...

Thankfully I got a good deal on the ticket to begin with ~$1500 SAT-ATL-CDG-BOD-CDG-DTW-SAT
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Hi all,

I'm curious what the current state of things with DL SWUs on AF is? My main question is whether a "W" fare booked on DL.com that involves an AF TATL segment with "O" availability on ExpertFlyer is upgradeable with SWUs?

Thanks.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 1:29 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
Hi all,

I'm curious what the current state of things with DL SWUs on AF is? My main question is whether a "W" fare booked on DL.com that involves an AF TATL segment with "O" availability on ExpertFlyer is upgradeable with SWUs?

Thanks.
Paging Delta Social Ambassadors: Call for you on Line One.

(Insert crickets here________________)
Old Dec 6, 2012, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond & 1MM; HH-Diamond; Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
Hi all,

Thanks.
For my last trip in September this year, it was fine - Delta W fare in AF PE upgraded to business. I used miles and not SWU because of the low (15k) miles required - I use SWU on fares which require more miles to upgrade.

I had to phone twice - the first agent was very confused and didn't know about DL W fares to begin with. The second time I phoned, it was very easy and straightforward - tickets purchased over phone and upgraded in the same call.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I, as well, flew one of the W fares in early Nov (GVA) but have not been able to book anything like that since the announcement upthread.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 5:56 pm

Angry

Originally Posted by standardgirl
For my last trip in September this year, it was fine - Delta W fare in AF PE upgraded to business. I used miles and not SWU because of the low (15k) miles required - I use SWU on fares which require more miles to upgrade.

I had to phone twice - the first agent was very confused and didn't know about DL W fares to begin with. The second time I phoned, it was very easy and straightforward - tickets purchased over phone and upgraded in the same call.
I had booked a ticket coming back from CDG on DL "W" class and when I called to upgrade, even though there was availability in "O" the agent said they had to change me to the AF Coded flight and then process the upgrade.

When they transferred me to the international reissue desk they said that changing me to the AF code would get me into "A" class which is not upgradable and that if I wanted to be in "S" class I would have to pay 400 dollars more.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Looking to fly from LAX to TXL this summer. Don't want to spend on the upgradable DL fares but was wondering if booking Prem. Voy. on AF would be a good option. The DL website indicates that certain lower fares are eligible for a 20,000 mile upgrade. What fares are these? Are they cheaper than the fares required for an upgrade to biz? Anyone done this?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:10 pm

currently booked on a W fare with AF, which is upgradable IF there is inventory to upgrade into. There is no wait list. You have to call daily/hourly. Expertflyer shows upgrade inventory on AF, but that doesn't mean a thing for Delta. I did find the fare via Delta.com by searching for "M and higher" fare classes. It was a $2k ticket, which I consider "ok" if I end up in Premium Economy on AF (it is a step up from Economy Comfort) Cheapest coach was closer to $1k for the same flight.

(edit: I think there was also an S fare available for $4k)

Last edited by underattack; Dec 10, 2012 at 1:16 pm
Old Dec 10, 2012, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 2 Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Starwood
AF upgrade

Originally Posted by underattack
currently booked on a W fare with AF, which is upgradable IF there is inventory to upgrade into. There is no wait list. You have to call daily/hourly. Expertflyer shows upgrade inventory on AF, but that doesn't mean a thing for Delta. I did find the fare via Delta.com by searching for "M and higher" fare classes. It was a $2k ticket, which I consider "ok" if I end up in Premium Economy on AF (it is a step up from Economy Comfort) Cheapest coach was closer to $1k for the same flight.

(edit: I think there was also an S fare available for $4k)
I too recently booked Premium Economy DTW-LHR via CDG for next June. The fares were only a few hundred dollars per ticket more than Delta coach class. Being PE we could have chosen Economy Plus seats but a Delta rep had told me she heard the AF PE was superior to Delta PE. I had discovered the pricing on Delta.com but could not find a return leg in the price range on Delta so I booked the entire trip through AF's website. It seemed easy enough to use and was straightforward. The downside is we could not select seats for the intra-Europe portion of the trip.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Michiganmiler
The downside is we could not select seats for the intra-Europe portion of the trip.
You can, a few months out.
Also, try "pulling" the itinerary into your skymiles account using the ticket number. Then try to select seats.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Also, try "pulling" the itinerary into your skymiles account using the ticket number. Then try to select seats.
You can select PE seats on intra-Europe flights more than 30 hours out? I thought that was only for Business. Learn something new every day...
Old Dec 10, 2012, 2:33 pm

May I ask how I might 'pull' the itinerary into my skymiles account? I am not familiar with that function.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Michiganmiler
May I ask how I might 'pull' the itinerary into my skymiles account? I am not familiar with that function.
On the homepage of delta.com :
My Trips > Dropdown box > Ticket number...
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:14 am

Pulling down tickets

On the homepage of delta.com :
My Trips > Dropdown box > Ticket number...

I tried using the ticket numbers and PNR but that did not work. I suppose it is because it is AF ticket stock issue, not Delta?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Anyone have recent experience upgrading an AF flight booked in W using SkyMiles? I know that O must be available and visible to Delta (no easy task), but I have a friend looking to go to Spain from ATL next year and (shockingly enough) can't get really excited about paying the exorbitant YBM fares on DL.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.