Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

TATL Upgrades using Skymiles and SWUs on Air France/KLM

TATL Upgrades using Skymiles and SWUs on Air France/KLM

Old May 1, 2012, 10:22 am

Programs: Hub Captive Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You cannot upgrade an award ticket with miles, nor can you use DL miles to upgrade by dealing with AF. You might be able to cancel your current award ticket and have it reissued for more miles as a business class award ticket if the correct inventory is available.
I don't believe the question is regarding award travel but rather a paid "A" Fare ticket on Air France. I'm curious as to the answer as well.
Old May 1, 2012, 10:40 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by seminole_kev
Reading through the thread, there seems to be a little bit of conflicting info on being able to buy up depending on class (or just my interpretation of it perhaps) but has anyone been able to buy (say, day off, with either cash or miles) into Affairs (business) from Premium Voyageur (premium economy) on an A fair? I know that one is the one Premium Voyageur fair that is excluded from miles upgrade, but curious if they ever offer say, day off cash upgrades from that fair into business?
Paid PV->J upgrades on AF seem to be something that's done in advance, not day of. There's a thread on it in the FB forum. Basically, you get an email with an offer in it a few days before the flight, telling you how much it will be and asking you to call in if you want the upgrade. I've only done one long-haul AF sector in Y and did not get the solicitation, so I can't say how it works beyond that. rwoman has experience with it, iirc. However, the key is that you have to get the offer, as asking about upgrades will basically just get you quoted the fare difference. I don't think that AF offers kiosk/OLCI upgrades like KL does.
Old May 2, 2012, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Paid PV->J upgrades on AF seem to be something that's done in advance, not day of. There's a thread on it in the FB forum. Basically, you get an email with an offer in it a few days before the flight, telling you how much it will be and asking you to call in if you want the upgrade. I've only done one long-haul AF sector in Y and did not get the solicitation, so I can't say how it works beyond that. rwoman has experience with it, iirc. However, the key is that you have to get the offer, as asking about upgrades will basically just get you quoted the fare difference. I don't think that AF offers kiosk/OLCI upgrades like KL does.
I can confirm that if DL issued the ticket, they will not do reissues day of travel for UG's.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton, Marriott & SPG Platinum & a whole lot of other programs...
Question Does 'O' ever open up?

I'm booked on Air France flights JFK-CDG and back CDG-JFK in late June on DL 006 stock booked in 'W' Premium Economy. There isn't an 'O' availability pretty much for a month around my dates of travel and was wondering if things open up closer to departure, or even potentially at the gate (I know the gate is incredibly unlikely) I've set an ExpertFlyer alter for 'O', but I suppose I'm just curious as to how hopeful I should be. Thanks for the advice.
Old May 3, 2012, 11:00 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by milesandpoints
I'm booked on Air France flights JFK-CDG and back CDG-JFK in late June on DL 006 stock booked in 'W' Premium Economy. There isn't an 'O' availability pretty much for a month around my dates of travel and was wondering if things open up closer to departure, or even potentially at the gate (I know the gate is incredibly unlikely) I've set an ExpertFlyer alter for 'O', but I suppose I'm just curious as to how hopeful I should be. Thanks for the advice.
Yes, AF notoriously opens up O 24 hours out if there is space available to help fill up seats.
Old May 3, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton, Marriott & SPG Platinum & a whole lot of other programs...
Originally Posted by jmertic
Yes, AF notoriously opens up O 24 hours out if there is space available to help fill up seats.
OK - Here's hoping I get Lucky. Is that still far enough in advance for DL to book into 'O' from 'W'? Is there any minimum?

Also, anyone have luck at the airport?

Last edited by milesandpoints; May 4, 2012 at 4:54 pm
Old May 3, 2012, 12:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Gold
OK - Here's hoping I get Lucky. Is that still far enough in advance for DL to book into ')' from 'W'? Is there any minimum?

I did last fall, had a GA in CLE process the upgrade for me over the phone before my flight CLE-JFK for my connecting JFK-CDG flight.
Old May 3, 2012, 11:33 pm

OK - Here's hoping I get Lucky. Is that still far enough in advance for DL to book into ')' from 'W'? Is there any minimum?

I think the terms say AF upgrades are supposed to be done the day before, but it's worth trying your luck. O inventory has been pretty stingy late in lately. I saw some open up about a week out on CDG-LAX, but was waiting for anything longer than YUL-CDG to open for the return before I departed and nothing, so I flew CDG-ORD. If you're willing to pay the change fee, set an EF alert for any viable flights/routings in case the inventory comes up on a different route.
Old May 4, 2012, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond

I never knew ) was a fare bucket
Old May 4, 2012, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I never knew ) was a fare bucket
It was intended to be O but was a typo. Sorry it wasn't clear to you, but the thread context should have helped.
Old May 4, 2012, 10:37 am

I think the terms say AF upgrades are supposed to be done the day before, but it's worth trying your luck. O inventory has been pretty stingy late in lately. I saw some open up about a week out on CDG-LAX, but was waiting for anything longer than YUL-CDG to open for the return before I departed and nothing, so I flew CDG-ORD. If you're willing to pay the change fee, set an EF alert for any viable flights/routings in case the inventory comes up on a different route.
Thanks, that's exactly what I did!
Old May 4, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
As I have mentionned previously in this thread, I had a W->O confirmed on CDG-IAD en route to SAN; 20 hours before departure, O opened on CDG->LAX. I called Delta and had my flight changed, and upgrade was processed for the new segment CDG->LAX without issues. So I believe O can be processed <24hr.
Old May 4, 2012, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by spin2nd
I don't believe the question is regarding award travel but rather a paid "A" Fare ticket on Air France...
Correct.
Old May 4, 2012, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
OK - Here's hoping I get Lucky. Is that still far enough in advance for DL to book into 'O' from 'W'? Is there any minimum?

Actually, IME AF is good about opening O up about 2-3 weeks before the flight. And it must be booked day before, not day of.
Old May 4, 2012, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Actually, IME AF is good about opening O up about 2-3 weeks before the flight. And it must be booked day before, not day of.
I've been watching a couple of dates for several weeks now (in the middle of the trip), and there's been almost zip for late O inventory opening. Seems they're being stingier about it lately than they used to be. I confirmed upgrades at booking, but the routings are unpleasant.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.