Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Did LAX and ATL airports move 5 miles closer?

Did LAX and ATL airports move 5 miles closer?

Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:48 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by lrac
Just another form of SM devaluation. Kinda like Haagen Dazs taking two oz. out of their packaging and charging the same price
Andy Rooney has been doing 60 Minutes segments on "a pound of coffee" for 20 years. When I was a kid Wrigley's chewing gum came in 7-stick packs. In the 80s the packs changed to 5 sticks... same price (or higher).

It's the free market baby!
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by srilm
As a pilot, I always assumed mileage was based on the filed flight plan (which is canned and the same every day, unless changed due to weather, etc.).

So if they changed the routing on the canned flight plan, the mileage would change. ... SR
actually the filed flight plan regularly varies ... look at any random flight (esp a long-haul) on flightaware.com for a period of several days ... there are several "canned" plans for any given origin and destination, but I'd guess the dispatchers decide (probably based on enroute winds and weather, among other factors) what is filed on any particular day ... here's my wife's flight last month

filed: MICAH J220 BUF J531 SSM YQT J500 YYN J530 GTF J36 MLP GLASR7
track: Flown: 2569 sm
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...215Z/KIAD/KSEA

compared to the past several days
filed: BUFFR J518 IHD J518 DJB CRL J34 RWF J90 ABR J70 DIK J36 MLP GLASR7

yesterday's track: Planned: 2,344 sm Flown: 2,408 sm
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...215Z/KIAD/KSEA

but the airline only gives credit for Great Circle distance (2302 sm)

Last edited by jrl767; Jan 11, 2011 at 8:42 am Reason: add distances
Old Jan 11, 2011, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Brick
How can you claim this even though several city pairs have had an increase in EQM's?
EQMs no longer have value on DL

Really, you former NW fliers need to bite the bullet and integrate with the DL community. Give up your EQM, Elite Status, and WBC. They're gone. They aren't coming back.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash

Really, you former NW fliers need to bite the bullet and integrate with the DL community. Give up your EQM, Elite Status, and WBC. They're gone. They aren't coming back.
I don't think Brick was a NW flyer. Why the hell would you say that..I don't even see the relevance?

Oh I See "EQM". You do realize that MQM's are also called EQM's "ELITE qualifying miles" by many. They are the miles you fly to qualify for elite status. I think someone needs an anger management class.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by avidflyer
I don't think Brick was a NW flyer. Why the hell would you say that..I don't even see the relevance?

Oh I See "EQM". You do realize that MQM's are also called EQM's "ELITE qualifying miles" by many. They are the miles you fly to qualify for elite status. I think someone needs an anger management class.
It isn't DL terminology and "the many" are mainly PMNW fliers. It isn't anger actually...I'd just like to see a more integrated community of DL fliers rather than PMNW and PMDL folks who just can't move on beyond the merger.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It isn't DL terminology and "the many" are mainly PMNW fliers

I beg to differ. I believe UA uses the "Elite" term as do many other airlines. So what do you call miles that enable you to attain Elite status? You are the one with an issue...that is clear.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It isn't DL terminology and "the many" are mainly PMNW fliers. It isn't anger actually...I'd just like to see a more integrated community of DL fliers rather than PMNW and PMDL folks who just can't move on beyond the merger.
Where in this thread do you see PMNW posters keeping NW alive? Again, it is people like you who manufacture these issues who were/are perpetuating this "merger" crap. There was no need whatsoever for that comment.

The merger is wayyy over. Don't be upset that I am taking all your upgrades...I fly Delta.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 8:56 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by avidflyer

While Brick might have presented his point a bit brusquely I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that he was just trying to say "let's be consistent and use a common language".

Over in the US forum it is by far more common for status to be referred to as "preferred" not "elite". And they use PQMs not EQMs.

US
"PQMs?...They are miles you fly to qualify for preferred status"
CO, AA, UA
"EQMs?...They are miles you fly to qualify for elite status"
AS
"EQMs?...They are miles you fly to qualify for MVP status"
DL
"MQMs?....They are miles you fly to qualify for medallion status"

I know people that refuse (and I mean refuse) to refer to DCA as "Reagan National" and simply call it "National". Their reasons aren't worth discussing. They just won't to adapt for whatever reasons. Others use "National" out of habit.

I think it is sometimes assumed here on the DL forum that anyone using "EQM" is simply living in the NWA world and refusing to evolve/adapt. This is a gross generalization IMHO. It could be just force of habit.

It's not nearly as big of a deal to me as people who use the word "loose" when they obviously meant to type "lose". (it's an adjective not a verb!)
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Evan!
While Brick might have presented his point a bit brusquely I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that he was just trying to say "let's be consistent and use a common language".

Over in the US forum it is by far more common for status to be referred to as "preferred" not "elite". And they use PQMs not EQMs.

US
"PQMs?...They are miles you fly to qualify for preferred status"
CO, AA, UA
"EQMs?...They are miles you fly to qualify for elite status"
AS
"EQMs?...They are miles you fly to qualify for MVP status"
DL
"MQMs?....They are miles you fly to qualify for medallion status"

I know people that refuse (and I mean refuse) to refer to DCA as "Reagan National" and simply call it "National". Their reasons aren't worth discussing. They just won't to adapt for whatever reasons. Others use "National" out of habit.

I think it is sometimes assumed here on the DL forum that anyone using "EQM" is simply living in the NWA world and refusing to evolve/adapt. This is a gross generalization IMHO. It could be just force of habit.

It's not nearly as big of a deal to me as people who use the word "loose" when they obviously meant to type "lose". (it's an adjective not a verb!)
Exactly. I have been using EQM since well before my Northwest days (UA) and continue to sometimes. The inference that somebody using EQM instead of MQM means they are a NW cry baby is crazy. I moved on to Delta pretty quickly and while there are things I like liked about NW I also like a lot about DL. Regardless, to fan the flames of PMNW/PMDL because of this is ridiculous.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by DaDaDan
How about actual distance travelled through the air, i.e. including diagonally.
Um, would you please draw a diagonal line on a sphere for me?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by strawbob
Um, would you please draw a diagonal line on a sphere for me?
LOL
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
unrelated to the topic, but responding nonetheless

... I know people that refuse (and I mean refuse) to refer to DCA as "Reagan National" and simply call it "National". Their reasons aren't worth discussing. They just won't to adapt for whatever reasons. Others use "National" out of habit.
I've been a DCA denizen since about 1966; my first flight out of there was in Aug 69 (137 other departures and 132 arrivals since)

I suspect the old building between the A (south) terminal and the B/C (new main) terminals may have historical landmark status, which means the facade that prominently displays "Washington National Airport" can't be altered

regardless of why the airport now has an extended "first name," I've always thought it's just quicker and easier to say one word than two
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
A lot of us use the term EQM, especially when we venture out of the DL forum, so as to use a more universally understood generic terminology. No, I'm not a PMNW flier, but I use "EQM" frequently.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
More than likely for the same reason many refuse to call Idlewild by it's new name JFK.

Last edited by turkeyRIOO; Jan 11, 2011 at 12:17 pm Reason: wrong quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 1:38 pm

Thank you! I have never had membership in Northwest Worldperks. I'm a UA guy first and a DL guy second. I have never flown NW significantly in the past, so I don't give a crap about the merger. I'm not sure why I got the label as being a sore loser NW guy because I used the term "EQM" which is what we use for UA. I guess I forget other programs have different terminology.

My point I was trying to make was some city pairs lost mileage, but other city pairs gained mileage. I don't know how one could claim this is all a conspiracy to further "dilute" benefits.

There are a lot of overly sensitive people in the DL forum.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.