Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Skyteam Award Blocking?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2011, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Delta Skyteam Award Blocking?

Trying to book an award ATL-AMS on Oct 19, 2 people in business class
Airfrance.us shows KLM flight 622 with availability in Classic (low level, 50k mile one way business class) awards. KVS also confirms this. However, when I call the Diamond line (several times now), Delta only shows coach availability.

This is extremely frustrating and has never happened to me before. Classic Flying Blue awards have always been bookable with Delta miles,

Has something changed? I don´t want to overreact, but is Delta starting their own version of Starnet blocking?
Old Jan 2, 2011, 8:28 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond & 1MM; HH-Diamond; Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by thepointsguy

This is extremely frustrating and has never happened to me before. Classic Flying Blue awards have always been bookable with Delta miles,

Has something changed? I don´t want to overreact, but is Delta starting their own version of Starnet blocking?
I had similar issue today - saw Classic FlyingBlue award available on both AF and KLM website, but Delta told me there's no availability. Delta CSR even told me that DL has different award inventory than KLM which I am still questioning...
Old Jan 2, 2011, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by thepointsguy
Trying to book an award ATL-AMS on Oct 19, 2 people in business class
Airfrance.us shows KLM flight 622 with availability in Classic (low level, 50k mile one way business class) awards. KVS also confirms this. However, when I call the Diamond line (several times now), Delta only shows coach availability.

God I hope not, they don't need another WSJ article bemoaning the lack of award avail. (That article was mentioned a good 20x by execs at the ATL DO, so I know it touched a nerve).
Old Jan 2, 2011, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I had this issue last month. The agent told me she did not see any open seats on KL. I called back 10 min later, spoke with another agent and was able to book my tickets. Not sure whats going on in your case but I'd call again.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
This behavior really frustrates people - and with good reason.

DL has no published excuse for failing to honor available seats. But their duplicity been going on for some time now.

There's no acceptable reason to promote this behavior on the part of CSRs, to reward them for lying to customers. There's no acceptable reason for management to promote this behavior from CSRs by misaligned metrics - such as, number of SM redeemed per agent.day.

When enough people have been through this, and enough publicity has been raised and formal complaints have been filed, DL will be compelled to change its ways. It doesn't have to be best in class, it just has to honor its own published T&C. Which don't include a version of SkyTeam Award blocking, yet.

If DL don't want much worse WSJ headlines that reflect customers being dealt with dishonestly, then they need to take action on this. They are responsible, not the customers, nor even the CSRs individually.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 8:59 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by redtailshark
There's no acceptable reason to promote this behavior on the part of CSRs, to reward them for lying to customers. There's no acceptable reason for management to promote this behavior from CSRs by misaligned metrics - such as, number of SM redeemed per agent.day.
I think you need to give a pep talk to your employees!
Old Jan 2, 2011, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
God I hope not, they don't need another WSJ article bemoaning the lack of award avail. (That article was mentioned a good 20x by execs at the ATL DO, so I know it touched a nerve).
Oh, yes they do. They need about one article per week until integrity is returned to the program.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Denolloyd
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I had this issue last month. The agent told me she did not see any open seats on KL. I called back 10 min later, spoke with another agent and was able to book my tickets. Not sure whats going on in your case but I'd call again.
I had the issue last month too. EF showed partner availability, calling DL to book did not. Called back the next day and DL could book it. Why this happens I have no idea, all I know is it is really annoying and yet another poor feature of the DL FFP. Another thing, why is it on partners EF can find availability better and faster than DL agents, yet I have to book with a DL agent?
Old Jan 2, 2011, 9:35 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by mnredfox
I had the issue last month too. EF showed partner availability, calling DL to book did not. Called back the next day and DL could book it. Why this happens I have no idea, all I know is it is really annoying and yet another poor feature of the DL FFP. Another thing, why is it on partners EF can find availability better and faster than DL agents, yet I have to book with a DL agent?
This isn't an issue with the FFP at all. It's an issue with the AF computer systems. The DL system & the AF system don't always play nice (especially given that AF is now electronic ticket only) and, IIRC, AF is changing their GDS booking engine soon... that'll cause more issues.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by Vuelos
This isn't an issue with the FFP at all. It's an issue with the AF computer systems. The DL system & the AF system don't always play nice (especially given that AF is now electronic ticket only) and, IIRC, AF is changing their GDS booking engine soon... that'll cause more issues.
I am pretty sure that if the agent actually tries to sell the flight that has award space available, although not "visible" when doing a search, it will come back as HK (confirmed).
Old Jan 2, 2011, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by holtju2
I am pretty sure that if the agent actually tries to sell the flight that has award space available, although not "visible" when doing a search, it will come back as HK (confirmed).
Agreed. That's my experience but you have to cajole them a little...
Old Jan 2, 2011, 10:37 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by holtju2
That is exactly what has happened with me even with DL domestic award seats. I find availability online, the agent says, "not available." She actually tried to sell it and it came back as HK. I asked her what she did and then she explained it.

So now, whenever I have a similar problem I politely ask them to please try and sell the specific flight anyway and see what happens. Has worked more than once.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
do you get availability info with KVS for DL domestic flights?
I looove expertflyer's 'o' alerts for AF
Old Jan 3, 2011, 5:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by fti
That is exactly what has happened with me even with DL domestic award seats. I find availability online, the agent says, "not available." She actually tried to sell it and it came back as HK. I asked her what she did and then she explained it.

So now, whenever I have a similar problem I politely ask them to please try and sell the specific flight anyway and see what happens. Has worked more than once.
Requesting a "long sell" or something close to that has worked in some instances of dealing with such blocking when it comes to UA. So same thing here, too?
Old Jan 3, 2011, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Its because the systems don't update from AF to DL inventory in real time... so while AF may open some seats, it will take a bit for the DL system to either be told and/or recognize and update its own inventory to reflect the AF one. Good to know that the booking will get confirmed if its there and the DL system can't "see" it at first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.