Delayed/luggage. Odds?

Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:18 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by davetravels
I was caught up in the weather in Europe. My bags are S T I L L in Paris - somewhere!!! (I checked them on Dec 21!) They said that 30,000 bags were stuck there. When I inquired last night at the DL baggage office, they told me that 14,000 bags were still there, and as I was standing there, about 15 bags from Paris popped onto the belt from my ATL/PIT flight that all had bag tags dated a week ago, + / -. So, the snow has caused MAJOR havoc on the baggage system, and it's going to take time to clear it all up!
So what happens in a situation like that? I know after 5 days you can submit for the entire bag as being lost, will they deny that saying it is still backlogged?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:36 am
BLV
Original Poster

I was encouraged to fill out the loss/theft form after 5 days, since, according to Delta reps (more than one!) "It makes the claim more serious and they work harder". Why it has to come down to it, I don't know. And from now on, must avoid T4
Old Feb 16, 2011, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott PPE,
I've told you so about thefts at JFK

"Two TSA agents were busted today at Kennedy Airport for stealing $160,000 in cash from bags, authorities said.

Perad and Webb would screen bags looking for loot, then swipe the cash once the luggage was opened in a private screening room, sources said."

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/b...3wcuV1xwkEwUJK
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott PPE,
JFK, watch your checked luggage for thieves

Because I was told by other flyertalkers that it was my imagination that luggage was frequently stolen at JFK:

"The Stunning JFK Airport Baggage Scandal; 200 Thefts Per Day
Sources: Baggage Handlers, Jetway Workers, Security All In On Ongoing Scam

Law enforcement sources told Kramer that thefts at the airport have increased at a staggering and alarming rate. There are now more that 200 a day — and that’s every day... thieves steal your bags, but as a passenger you never find that out. The airlines say they are lost in transit.

“The airlines don’t want to report these thefts because it’s bad for business,”

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03/...hefts-per-day/
Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
I've checked luggage with valuables hundreds of times at JFK and never had a problem, but you are making me think twice about checking a bag on my next trip!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.