Wiki Posts
Search

A little bit confused

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:24 am
BLV
Original Poster

A little bit confused

So if my flight is scheduled to fly out of JFK into BCN on 12/29 and Delta.com is currently showing that dates of travel impacted are: December 26 through December 29 with Ticket Reissue Date on/before January 1st. Does that already mean that my Wednesday flight will be cancelled and I must rebook now?

Last edited by BLV; Dec 27, 2010 at 10:39 am
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:31 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
If you are affected by the storm, you can reschedule.
If you wish to change your itinerary for what ever reason and your trip fall within the window, you can change without a fee.

If your trip is still swowing on time you are all set.

You should be fine. Enjoy Barcelona!
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:41 am
BLV
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fromYXU
If you are affected by the storm, you can reschedule.
If you wish to change your itinerary for what ever reason and your trip fall within the window, you can change without a fee.

If your trip is still swowing on time you are all set.

You should be fine. Enjoy Barcelona!
If I could only get Delta.com to bring up the itinerary

Thanks, I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but that information confused me. Even if I wanted to reschedule, the website is useless at the moment and calling Delta is also isn't an option since they aren't picking up.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:31 am

Programs: DL GM
Think of it this way... While your flight on Wednesday probably won't be cancelled, the flights yesterday and today were impacted. What they are hoping people (like you, who are traveling in a couple days) will do is change their plans so that they can accommodate those passengers whose flights were cancelled. It's sort of "volunteering" without compensation. If you change your flight to Thursday, then they can put someone who was traveling yesterday (and is stuck now) into your currently booked seat.

What ends up happening is that someone who was supposed to travel Sunday travels Tuesday, someone who was supposed to travel Tuesday travels Wednesday, and someone who was supposed to travel Wednesday travels Thursday. It's kind of like Pay It Forward. You can voluntarily change your plans so that everyone ends up getting home a little sooner.

Or... you can show up at the airport and hope for an oversell and take the compensation and run.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fromYXU
That's what I thought too, but when I called in on Saturday to change a flight scheduled for yesterday afternoon, I was told that because my flight was still showing as "On Time" that I would have to pay the fare difference between my paid fare and the fares available on the alternative flights. My flight ended up getting cancelled (as did the one that I was rebooked to for today), and now I'm flying out on Wednesday instead.

In theory this was a DM line agent, but I'm thinking that due to higher call volume and it being Christmas, I got another call center.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:44 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
deleted - misread quoted material

Last edited by mnbp; Dec 27, 2010 at 11:47 am Reason: deleted
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:59 am
BLV
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfwolfs
Think of it this way... While your flight on Wednesday probably won't be cancelled, the flights yesterday and today were impacted. What they are hoping people (like you, who are traveling in a couple days) will do is change their plans so that they can accommodate those passengers whose flights were cancelled. It's sort of "volunteering" without compensation. If you change your flight to Thursday, then they can put someone who was traveling yesterday (and is stuck now) into your currently booked seat.

What ends up happening is that someone who was supposed to travel Sunday travels Tuesday, someone who was supposed to travel Tuesday travels Wednesday, and someone who was supposed to travel Wednesday travels Thursday. It's kind of like Pay It Forward. You can voluntarily change your plans so that everyone ends up getting home a little sooner.

Or... you can show up at the airport and hope for an oversell and take the compensation and run.
I would volunteer to fly out on 30th instead of 29th since my preference is to be there for NYE. But like many others, I'm unable to get to my itineraries online
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by GBadger
That's what I thought too, but when I called in on Saturday to change a flight scheduled for yesterday afternoon, I was told that because my flight was still showing as "On Time" that I would have to pay the fare difference between my paid fare and the fares available on the alternative flights. My flight ended up getting cancelled (as did the one that I was rebooked to for today), and now I'm flying out on Wednesday instead.

In theory this was a DM line agent, but I'm thinking that due to higher call volume and it being Christmas, I got another call center.
As usual, DL is "worst in class" in terms of communicating to the public and its own employees. They post vague information on the website and don't get a consistent message to the agents.

continental.com is truly best when it makes it clear the circumstances in which change fees are waived and when no additional fare will be collected. aa.com is a little less clear but they do indicate whether "original inventory required". That "insider language" could be confusing for the general public, but at least it puts something definite in writing.

All delta.com says is "Additional collection in fares may apply. See Conditions & Restrictions below". Those conditions read "Changes to origins and destinations may result in an increase in fare".

The other airlines also have a wider geographic coverage than DL. They include the DC area and places like PVD and PWM. I would assume DL is offering waivers for the latter two, but again they don't say so in writing.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 2:45 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
During the snow storm at BWI this past February I was able to change two separate flights without problem or charges. Try calling again. YMMV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.