Old Dec 27, 2010, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by seanp7
Invalid question. See posts above.
Why is it an invalid question?
Old Dec 27, 2010, 2:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM/Amex Reserve 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by cfischer
With > 1000 flights canceled through the network yesterday and today WHO NEEDS TO CHECK PNRs? It is again completely unacceptable what Delta delivers in terms of IT. It looks fancier now, but it's still completely broken. BRING BACK NWA.COM!
Just to set the record straight.....Delta.com worked very good before the integration with Northwest....so AFAIC bring back the original Delta.com....

As the NW IT folks started messing around with Delta.com flights that used to post to the skymiles account as you boarded the flight now take days to post....

Its the NW IT people that have set Delta.com back like 3 years....
Old Dec 27, 2010, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott. Hilton Diamond, Hertz something...
Its pretty improbable that this capacity related.... not in the days of virtualization and redundant capacity. Unless delta are hosting their own website and its not in EC2 or Terramark or somewhere.... and hosting themselves would be soooooooooooo 2000.

either way its really bad that anything customer related is experiencing an outage for this long. Unforgivable in fact.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by DMIrishFlyer
Its pretty improbable that this capacity related.... not in the days of virtualization and redundant capacity. Unless delta are hosting their own website and its not in EC2 or Terramark or somewhere.... and hosting themselves would be soooooooooooo 2000.

either way its really bad that anything customer related is experiencing an outage for this long. Unforgivable in fact.
At the 2010 DO I asked where the datacenter was located. Pretty close to where we were sitting, was the reply. And unfortunately, so was the DR (disaster recovery) site, too. My guess is they got a lot of money thrown at them to "modernize the servers" (or perhaps as a result of the merger) and they bought a bunch of servers that are now old, slow, and unable to cope. Happens all the time: IT departments feast or famine; they get that initial cash infusion to buy a bunch of boxen (and over-provision) but never get that kind of cash to maintain it, and so they never get upgraded and all of a sudden business people wonder why the site can't keep up with capacity.

There's probably an awful lot of legacy reasons why EC2 can't be used. Starting from scratch, they'd be insane to do this in-house, but they likely have the space and some pain that keep it in ATL.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by robnsfla
Its the NW IT people that have set Delta.com back like 3 years....
Gee, thanks. ^

Unrelated: I will say that this talk about EC2 and virtualization is entertaining to read. Remember, there are pros and cons to all decisions. I can say there is a lot of talk going on about the future architecture. It will be interesting to see where we end up over the coming months/years.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by BobRoss
At the 2010 DO I asked where the datacenter was located. Pretty close to where we were sitting, was the reply. And unfortunately, so was the DR (disaster recovery) site, too. My guess is they got a lot of money thrown at them to "modernize the servers" (or perhaps as a result of the merger) and they bought a bunch of servers that are now old, slow, and unable to cope. Happens all the time: IT departments feast or famine; they get that initial cash infusion to buy a bunch of boxen (and over-provision) but never get that kind of cash to maintain it, and so they never get upgraded and all of a sudden business people wonder why the site can't keep up with capacity.

There's probably an awful lot of legacy reasons why EC2 can't be used. Starting from scratch, they'd be insane to do this in-house, but they likely have the space and some pain that keep it in ATL.
Possible - QTS have a huge data center in ATL (not far from the Airport or downtown) so it may be there....
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:10 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
5:10 PM and I still can't access my itins........
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by NWA IS
Gee, thanks. ^

Unrelated: I will say that this talk about EC2 and virtualization is entertaining to read. Remember, there are pros and cons to all decisions. I can say there is a lot of talk going on about the future architecture. It will be interesting to see where we end up over the coming months/years.
Armchair quarterbacking is what we do best here at FlyerTalk. I would be surprised if EC2 would be a viable solution for Delta (or any other major existing airline) any time soon (even if EC2 were perfect, which it isn't).
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:11 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Italy98
Was able to OLCI a few minutes ago.
I've been trying for several hours - without success - which way did you get it?
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL PM & Kryptonium, Hilton Diamond, National Exec Elite
I've been trying to check my sister in law in for her CVG-DFW flight tomorrow. Keep getting the "We are experiencing turbulence" message.
I wonder if they will discount her bag check at the gate as an OLCI?
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by BobRoss
Armchair quarterbacking is what we do best here at FlyerTalk. I would be surprised if EC2 would be a viable solution for Delta (or any other major existing airline) any time soon (even if EC2 were perfect, which it isn't).
what is perfect...

I'd say EC2 is a long way from perfect BUT there are several other really good options. For pure datacenters - Terramark is one, Rackspace is another BUT my 2 cents would be to hire the best Network engineers you can find, get rid of the in-house server sprawl, move to a data center and use a redundant datacenter the other side of the continent (or in ASIA or Europe).
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by NWA IS
We've had a few issues today, most notably/apparent being issues with the loyalty system (logging in, viewing account info, etc.) and with viewing upcoming trip details and online check-in. Teams across the organization are working diligently to resolve issues, some of them already having been resolved.
When do you anticipate OLCI might be resolved? Thanks in advance.

We're Experiencing Some Turbulence

Our website hit some rough air, so the page you're trying to reach isn't available at the moment.

We've alerted our technology team, and they're working hard to get this fixed for you right away. Check back with us in a few minutes.

If you have any questions, try our Live Chat option with a customer service representative, or contact us for help.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:24 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Originally Posted by TTT
I don't think the two are related as DL pulled its inventory from those three flights on Dec 17th. It was AA that pulled its flights from Orbitz last week (and Expedia subsequently followed).

Regardless - Delta please un-break the website soon (or at least bring it back to its less broken state we had last week)!
I'm not saying they are related. I was simply pointing out DL is in no position to start trying to push me to book through their website, considering it is a worthless POS.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:25 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Originally Posted by Fredd
When do you anticipate OLCI might be resolved? Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:25 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Still no good

The site still doesn't work. I can sign in but that's all. If I try to access my trips, I time out. I guess it's related to all the delays/cancellations on the East coast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.