Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MSP to YYZ in a mere 20hrs on Delta/Comair

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2010, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

I recently had the pleasure of experiencing Delta and Comair's friendly customer support as I attempted to make the 90 minute trip from Minneapolis to Toronto on DL 6350.

A series of mechanical failures on Delta/Comair's aircraft resulted in me arriving at my destination seventeen hours late. After the first flight was canceled due to mechanical problems, I had the pleasure of waiting in line for two hours to be booked into the local Radisson (an excellent hotel) by the friendly Delta team members. The generous $6 vouchers for dinner and
breakfast supplied me with an excellent opportunity to work on my diet. The next morning, as I awaited takeoff on my rebooked flight, I had ample opportunity to sleep unperturbed by turbulence as we sat on the ground waiting for the pilot ultimately scrub the flight due to the second mechanical malfunction of my trip. I had ample opportunity to contemplate the odds of two mechanical problems in a row and the implications for the safety of Delta/Comair's aircraft as the polite crew kept assuring us that a replacement aircraft would be available, in sequential twenty-minute increments. They were also very prompt to offer us travel vouchers after some distressed passengers loudly voiced their frustration over the extensive delay and uncertain nature of our egress. When we finally boarded a functional aircraft and were airborne, the Comair stewardess was kind enough to offer free premium beverages (valued at $5-$7), which surprisingly satiated the more vocal complainers.

It took me nearly twenty hours to complete a ninety minute flight. While I would have preferred it if Delta/Comair had rebooked me on another flight, or preferably, a more reliable airline, I did appreciate the opportunity to experience their friendly yet ineffective customer support and confidence-shaking maintenance regime. I look forward to selling my travel voucher on Ebay and finding a more reliable airline -- perhaps one with better management and greater respect for their customer's time.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Welcome to FlterTalk, dna2z.

Comair has been this bad for years -- this is nothing new.

However, with regard to being booked on another airline, you should think this through first. From MSP it would mean connecting from another airport.

On the first evening that probably would have meant overnighting elsewhere or even in MSP.

On the 2nd day, a connecting itin on another airline might still have arrived later than your actual arrival.

If your connection had been on the east coast today, rots of ruck. Elsewhere there is little inventory available due to rebookings from the east coast weather. We ourselves are stuck at DTW for 24 hours.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 8:43 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I haven't had the best of luck with Comair in the past, but what you did say was that the customer service was good, so I'm not sure what more could be done. The 2 hour line for hotel vouchers would be a bit annoying, but unfortunately, I think other carriers would have you in the same position, not to mention a stop on the way.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Bonvoy, WoH, HH
bottom line....... he/she is trying to sell voucher here.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 10:05 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Welcome to FT. Sorry for your trouble and I know delays can be very frustrating.

I wish you luck on another airline but keep in mind that all airlines will have delays and cancellations - the grass is not always greener.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 5:12 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
The $6-amount for vouchers truly needs to be re-visited by Delta and any every other airline that expects passengers to eat in an airport for less than $10. A voucher in this case is not a courtesy because this was a mechanical delay and within DL's control. Hopefully you will find a customer relations bonus on your SkyMiles account within a few days. Please post back if you do.

Sorry for your pain OP. There is a tendency to play I-can-top-that! here on FT so be prepared for "20 hours?! You were lucky!" posts.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 5:32 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
And here I seriously thought you were talking about the itinerary DL was offering you for a low level trip.

I've seen too many itineraries offered in low level where the layover is 10 to 23 hours!!!

Very cheeky DL - thanks but no thanks...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.