Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Same day international upgrades to China? And need explanation of my cancellation

Same day international upgrades to China? And need explanation of my cancellation

Old Dec 26, 2010, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM | 1 Million Miler

Hi all, long time lurker, I rarely post because I usually can find the answer by searching through the forums and on Google. However, last night I spent a good amount of time trying to see which airline has any sort of procedure to get yourself on the same day standby list for upgrading from coach on destinations to China. I could not find anything on it, so I'm assuming that there is no such thing, is this true?

Also, a funny thing happened last night. My flight that was scheduled for 12/26 from STL to BOS got cancelled (For obvious reasons), and DL automatically rescheduled me for later that day. When I logged onto the website, I had free reign of picking when I wanted to leave and on which day, up to 2 days ahead, but the funny thing is that only First Class was shown on the screen. My question is this: Is this part of the normal procedure? That DL makes up for canceling your flight, by only putting the passenger in First Class? That doesn't make sense, right? Since they cancel flights all the time. I think there was a mistake, because on my flight from DCA to STL on Dec 23rd, I got on their standby upgrade list and got upgraded, so I'm thinking the computer logged me in as a full fare First Class passenger.

So I with the many choices on my screen on when to leave, I'm scheduled to leave on the 27th from STL with a layover in ATL.

Anyways, any comments would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by mfong
Hi all, long time lurker, I rarely post because I usually can find the answer by searching through the forums and on Google. However, last night I spent a good amount of time trying to see which airline has any sort of procedure to get yourself on the same day standby list for upgrading from coach on destinations to China. I could not find anything on it, so I'm assuming that there is no such thing, is this true?
If you are looking for a free upgrade to China, you are out of luck. International upgrades are available only using miles or SWUs, and only for Y, B or M fares.

Also, a funny thing happened last night. My flight that was scheduled for 12/26 from STL to BOS got cancelled (For obvious reasons), and DL automatically rescheduled me for later that day. When I logged onto the website, I had free reign of picking when I wanted to leave and on which day, up to 2 days ahead, but the funny thing is that only First Class was shown on the screen. My question is this: Is this part of the normal procedure? That DL makes up for canceling your flight, by only putting the passenger in First Class? That doesn't make sense, right? Since they cancel flights all the time. I think there was a mistake, because on my flight from DCA to STL on Dec 23rd, I got on their standby upgrade list and got upgraded, so I'm thinking the computer logged me in as a full fare First Class passenger.
You got lucky. Either someone made a mistake or was lazy, or the flight was heavily overbooked in the back.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM | 1 Million Miler
Originally Posted by vasantn
If you are looking for a free upgrade to China, you are out of luck. International upgrades are available only using miles or SWUs, and only for Y, B or M fares.
Thanks for replying.
I'm not looking for a free upgrade, I am willing to pay, just not the full business or first class fares . Basically, what I'm trying to do is to get on their same day standby list to upgrade like how it is on domestic flights. Then pay for the upgrade if I qualify.

Still referring to the glossary for a lot of the slang here
I will make sure to purchase those fares when I book my tickets.

Originally Posted by vasantn
You got lucky. Either someone made a mistake or was lazy, or the flight was heavily overbooked in the back.
What else happened is that when DL called me, I went directly to the website. I saw that I can choose any flight within that 2 day window, however all of the sudden that option disappeared (I can't explained what I did to make that option vanish). I got through to DL by calling their website support site and the operator on the other end was very kind and immediately changed my flight again, because I told him that I didn't want to get stranded on Dec 26th in DTW. When he gave me a new flight, I went to the website, and I had that option again to view and change my reservations as freely as I wanted to. What fare do you think one would have to purchase to have access to that kind of option? Or do you think it was an error in the system. As of now, I still have that option to change my flight, but as you can imagine, ALL of the flights are booked.

Thanks for your input
Old Dec 26, 2010, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Thanks for replying.
I'm not looking for a free upgrade, I am willing to pay, just not the full business or first class fares . Basically, what I'm trying to do is to get on their same day standby list to upgrade like how it is on domestic flights. Then pay for the upgrade if I qualify.

Still referring to the glossary for a lot of the slang here
I will make sure to purchase those fares when I book my tickets.
There is NO such list for international flights like there is on domestic flights. Period. There are no upgrade procedures on Delta for discounted paid upgrades to business class. The best you can do is buy a $3,000 coach ticket and upgrade with either miles or systemwide upgrades, which can only be gained as a top status member (Plaitnum or higher) on Delta airlines.

Y, B, M fares as mentioned are often 4-5 times of that of normal coach fares. On flights to CN look in the range of $2,600-$3,000 per ticket.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.