Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Remedial cabin crew training desperately needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2010, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar Privilege Gold , Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold

Delta - please re-train all your cabin crew ASAP. Need to have consistent service, improve communication skills (courtesy) and better product knowledge.
To be fair, occasionally you get a flight attendant or two that are great and are up to par…but the vast majority of the cabin crew desperately needs improvement.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 10:23 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles (Silver), UA Mileage Plus, US Scareways, AA Advantage
Question

Originally Posted by nufftravel
Delta - please re-train all your cabin crew ASAP. Need to have consistent service, improve communication skills (courtesy) and better product knowledge.
To be fair, occasionally you get a flight attendant or two that are great and are up to par…but the vast majority of the cabin crew desperately needs improvement.
Seriously? I have had just the opposite experience. On my countless DL flights, i've NEVER had a rude FA. Some are better than others, but all my FA's have been courteous and professional. I've found the FAs on US, UA, and AA to be much worse than DL's.

However, I do partially agree with your views about consistent service--that is something that DL needs to work on. However, it does seem that they're improving in that area.

I'm sure some are out there, though, and I'm sure I'll get one someday! In a bunch of great apples, there's sure to be a few bad ones in there!
Old Dec 25, 2010, 10:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Choice Plat; US Airways CP
I am on DL2736 (PHX-MEM) as we speak and the FC FA is in need of immediate attention to his manners... He raises his eyes to nearly all of the Passengers and is just plain rude. Thank goodness most of my NWA (excuse me - DL) miles are gone.

I disagree with the previous comments regarding US FA's... Although I have been a CP on US for eight years, they have well out performed DELTA (NWA was far better before they merged!) My NWA FA friends say the same - Delta are rude snobs.

Guess we all have our opinions.

Last edited by thezipper; Dec 25, 2010 at 3:50 pm Reason: remove offensive term
Old Dec 25, 2010, 10:51 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by DL757ATL
Seriously? I have had just the opposite experience. On my countless DL flights, i've NEVER had a rude FA. Some are better than others, but all my FA's have been courteous and professional. I've found the FAs on US, UA, and AA to be much worse than DL's.

However, I do partially agree with your views about consistent service--that is something that DL needs to work on. However, it does seem that they're improving in that area.

I'm sure some are out there, though, and I'm sure I'll get one someday! In a bunch of great apples, there's sure to be a few bad ones in there!
1+
Old Dec 25, 2010, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL Silver/1MM - EK Platinum - HH Gold
Originally Posted by DL757ATL

+1
Old Dec 25, 2010, 2:40 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
We've had both experiences. Exceptional FAs providing world class service to FAs who sequester themselves in the galley during boarding and can't be bothered with pre-departure beverage service or hanging up coats. I strolled to the back galley on a recent flight after the FA in F coldly told me "we don't have any" to my request for a Woodford. Asking the FAs if they might have a Woodford or two in their carts. Their warm response was yes and where was I sitting. When I gave them my seat number one of the FAs responded "there are six bottles in F" and proceeded to call the FA in F. Needless to say the FA in F was not happy when she brought me my drink. YMMV.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Delta's FAs are one of the main reasons that I fly Delta. Yes, there are inconsistencies and yes they need to address that and yes I think that has been a little more of a problem recently.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 5:12 pm

Programs: Delta DM!
I am flying USAir this week due to a VDB voucher... Let me assure you that though there may be inconsistencies, DL crew (IMO) is some of the best there is.

Of course, not every experience will be perfect, but... I'm flying on 40 year old 737-300s with FA's who are cranky. Give me Delta any day.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 5:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by travelingsalesgal
I am flying USAir this week due to a VDB voucher... Let me assure you that though there may be inconsistencies, DL crew (IMO) is some of the best there is.

Of course, not every experience will be perfect, but... I'm flying on 40 year old 737-300s with FA's who are cranky. Give me Delta any day.
Which airline operates 40 yo 733s? I know DL flies a bunch of generic DC9s.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 5:25 pm

Programs: Delta DM!
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Which airline operates 40 yo 733s? I know DL flies a bunch of generic DC9s.
Sorry, I was being overly sarcastic. I don't know how old the USAir birds are, actually all of the ones I have been on are old AmericaWest planes.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL Platinum
I agree with the need for consistancy. I just got off of flight 1873 from DTW-MEM. Sitting upfront and no offer of coat check and no pre-departure drink. We were not late or under any pressure to push (at least from a PAX point of view). Flight attendants were even encourging the attendant giving the briefing "this is your moment, don't mess it up".
Old Dec 25, 2010, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL PM; Co Gold; PC Plat; Hhonors Silver
I also agree about the need for consistency: I have had some EXCEPTIONAL crews lately, but also more than a few that left much to be desired. I have also observed that those FAs still wearing AFA pins are in that much to be desired category. Wonder if the whole union thing has anything to do it with it.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar Privilege Gold , Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
How many people here believe that Delta's service and product in Business Intl or Intl economy are up to par with a Singapore or Emirates?
I agree that the service domestic is up to par with US Air or United, and Delta has much better domestic upgrade policy....but do we want to settle for mediocrity?
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:07 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
OP, maybe if you were a little more specific about flights and dates you experienced this mediocrity...
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:12 am
Suspended

Not Only DL

Originally Posted by nufftravel
This is not a DL problem, it is one most major airlines face. I have had very few problems with DL but if you read the threds for other airlines, you will find the same problems. There are the good, there are the OK, and there are those that just go through the motions. Welcome to service in the U.S.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.