OK, where is "Have One On Us"?

Old Apr 13, 2011, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Jacob,

Your Million Miler bug fix may have produced positive results.

I just received my first HOOU coupon in memorable history.

One coupon, in spite of two missed UGs.

Am I to assume the one per day restriction (counter to what SMI told us to expect) is still in force?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

^^^^^^
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:56 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, CO Gold, Marriott Gold
Didn't even realize PM's receive HOOU coupons... I've never received one!
Do they print out with the boarding passes?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 1:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Jacob Morris
beckoa: Right now, the SkyTeam Elite, Elite Plus, and OA Elite indicators are not passed to the vendor who serves the coupons during online check-in. I am working on it though!
-snip-
Glad to hear that ^ and also good to hear some of the other bugs are being worked out
Old Apr 14, 2011, 5:00 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles (Silver), UA Mileage Plus, US Scareways, AA Advantage
Jacob,

Am I to assume the one per day restriction (counter to what SMI told us to expect) is still in force?
^^^^^^
Old Apr 27, 2011, 2:59 pm

Message from Jacob's Cubicle...

Greetings! I'm back and multi-quoting! SMI gave me a tutorial on multi-quotes; it's now m my new, favorite FT feature.

Jacob,

Is it Delta's intent to fulfill the commitment that SMI made here?
Yes, that has been the goal all along. We've had a few hiccups along the way and a few known issues to fix (and the big issues have been fixed).

The complaints have stopped, so it looks like folks are getting their coupons.

Originally Posted by Bappelt
Jacob - I'm a DM and a MM and while I had not received a HOOU coupon in ages, I did get one today when I checked in for my flights tomorrow.
Glad to hear!

But, in all seriousness, if I fail to get a coupon for a particular flight there is no way for me to know whether this is due to (1) unresolved IT issues or (2) that flight was not meant to be on of my surprise and delight moments.

I truly am not trying to be a smart-aleck here but, unless I know how the system is intended to function when it is functioning correctly, I cannot determine when it is not functioning correctly. Enough ambiguity remains in the description of DL's policy for the HOOU program to prompt this uncertainty.
The below is a distilled version of the coupon issuance criteria. As mentioned in #231, coupons are issued on a per trip basis, not segment basis and there are a couple known issues to still be worked through.

Customers with a status of

• Diamond/Million Miler (MM/DM) OR
• Diamond (DM) OR
• Platinum/Million Miler (MM/PM) OR
• Platinum (PM) OR
• Gold/Million Miler (MM/GM) OR
• Gold (GM)

AND seated in one of the following classes of service on a DL/DL Conx at time of online check-in:

• Y
• B
• M
• H
• Q
• K
• L
• U
• T
• E
• NK
• ND
• NT
• NP
• NG
• NM
• N

AND traveling to any airport

Originally Posted by mike_plat
Jacob,
I has been over a month since I flew Delta (I always do OLCI). I am a MM, so I assume this is the reason the coupons have never printed out.
Thank you,
mike_plat
Yeah, I think so. If I ever run into you or StayingHomeIsBetter on a flight, your second drink is on me.

And, to this day, we still do not know whether "surprise and delight" is still the operative concept underlying the program.

If an elite is not upgraded, or is on a single class RJ, should he/she expect to receive the coupon, or not?

By failing to answer this simple question, Jacob appears to want to continue the ambiguity.

I have trouble understanding why.
I think I've created some confusion in this forum by using the phrase surprise and delight. I'm sorry. Surprise and delight is the concept we started with back in April 2010, and it lasted all of a few weeks.

The underlying operative concept is consistency, not surprise and delight.

And today, I believe customers are seeing these consistently now that we've made a couple significant bug fixes.

Jacob,

Glad to hear that you got a coupon!

Coupons are issued one per trip (not segment or by day). If SMI said that we issue them on every segment, then that's not correct, and I'm really sorry to have created some confusion.

I should have had SMI elaborate further in the very first post we made. I definitely see now we should have been more specific.

Originally Posted by pulseeric
Didn't even realize PM's receive HOOU coupons... I've never received one!
Do they print out with the boarding passes?
If you were seated in economy and used online check-in, you should have seen one. Where did you check-in? What class of service where you in?

Best regards,
Jacob Morris
Senior Product Manager
Customer Experience
Delta Air Lines, Inc.

Last edited by Jacob Morris; Apr 27, 2011 at 3:05 pm Reason: edit
Old Apr 27, 2011, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Gold, Hertz five star
I just received the first "Have one on us" coupons in a long time. This is also the first time that I am on CRJ the whole way with no FC....I wonder if that has a lot to do with it, the fact that they know I wont get free booze without it..haha
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:19 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Actually, I had a flight on the 17th which is the first time I haven't received a HOOU coupon in a long time when using my home computer to print out my boarding pass. Sometimes it was a miss at hotels, but wrote that off to their browser issues. No biggie, still had some coupons from my PM kit.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Greetings! I'm back and multi-quoting! SMI gave me a tutorial on multi-quotes; it's now m my new, favorite FT feature.

Yes, that has been the goal all along. We've had a few hiccups along the way and a few known issues to fix (and the big issues have been fixed).

The complaints have stopped, so it looks like folks are getting their coupons.

Glad to hear!

The below is a distilled version of the coupon issuance criteria. As mentioned in #231, coupons are issued on a per trip basis, not segment basis and there are a couple known issues to still be worked through.

Customers with a status of

• Diamond/Million Miler (MM/DM) OR
• Diamond (DM) OR
• Platinum/Million Miler (MM/PM) OR
• Platinum (PM) OR
• Gold/Million Miler (MM/GM) OR
• Gold (GM)

AND seated in one of the following classes of service on a DL/DL Conx at time of online check-in:

• Y
• B
• M
• H
• Q
• K
• L
• U
• T
• E
• NK
• ND
• NT
• NP
• NG
• NM
• N

AND traveling to any airport

Yeah, I think so. If I ever run into you or StayingHomeIsBetter on a flight, your second drink is on me.

I think I've created some confusion in this forum by using the phrase surprise and delight. I'm sorry. Surprise and delight is the concept we started with back in April 2010, and it lasted all of a few weeks.

The underlying operative concept is consistency, not surprise and delight.

And today, I believe customers are seeing these consistently now that we've made a couple significant bug fixes.

Glad to hear that you got a coupon!

Coupons are issued one per trip (not segment or by day). If SMI said that we issue them on every segment, then that's not correct, and I'm really sorry to have created some confusion.

I should have had SMI elaborate further in the very first post we made. I definitely see now we should have been more specific.

If you were seated in economy and used online check-in, you should have seen one. Where did you check-in? What class of service where you in?

Best regards,
Jacob Morris
Senior Product Manager
Customer Experience
Delta Air Lines, Inc.
Jacob,

I want to acknowledge, and tell you how sincerely I appreciate, the candor and detail in your post.^^^

Transparency is good and provides a welcome alternative to speculation.

I hope that I seldom need them, but I have greatly increased confidence that I will receive the HOOU coupons necessary to comfort me on any non-upgraded flights in the future.

I am curious though... what are the "couple known issues to still be worked through"?
Old Apr 27, 2011, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Jacob, can you confirm this is only working with OLCI and not with Kiosk check-in? What about reprinting BP at the airport kiosks?
Old Apr 28, 2011, 6:52 am

Programs: DL-DM, PC-PM
I will be flying N this weekend and will report my results (PM). I wonder if the FO in the same PNR will cause issues?!? Jacob?
Old Apr 29, 2011, 7:48 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
Good morning Jacob,

We are willing to buy you a picture of a window to the cubicle... and even put a plane in the background (oh... that would feel like a first class seat! )

Thank you for the update. I do see that you, and other DL employees are now marked nicely in green (good new FT feature).

Please encourage your fellows to come in and participate/reply to the inquries raised (i.e. dl.com, pricing errors, schedules, OLCI msgs, HOOU-thank you,etc.)

Best,

DLroads (looking from window at a nice day in the NY area, and planes to/from LGA seem to go on a regular pattern)
Old Apr 29, 2011, 9:39 am

Follow-up

Originally Posted by Vuelos
Just checked in and surprise surprise:

Jacob - something is messed up with the GIF that was provided to Sojern. It doesn't print right and doesn't display well when a PDF of the BP is made. Please PM me if you'd like for me to send you the PDF.
Thank you so much for sending the image--very helpful. We were able to replicate this issue in IE6. The vendor made a code change recently to fix this issue. I just checked this morning in IE6, and it appears to be printing correctly.

Are you still having any issues? What browser and version are you using?

Originally Posted by jsgoldbe
Two issues:

The last two BPs I have printed (Wed and Today) have had the numbers under the bar code cut off.

I never seem to get the HOOU coupon when I check-in from the Google Chrome browser. IE is fine.
Actually IE was an issue on version 6, see above. If you're still having any issues, let me know what browser and version you're using, and we'll troubleshoot on our side.

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Do you know who the vendor is, or at least their IP? My hosts file has a bunch of advertisers set to 127.0.0.0.1. I never get the coupon printed. I suspect it is because of the host file. Would like to remove that entry in the hosts file, so I get the coupon.
The vendor is Sojern. I ran this by my IT contact at Sojern, and he thinks this issue may likely be a virus on your computer.

His advice was to remove all the entries set to 127.0.0.0.1, with the exception of 127.0.0.0.1 local host (if you have that one).

Originally Posted by mattwilkins
I just received the first "Have one on us" coupons in a long time. This is also the first time that I am on CRJ the whole way with no FC....I wonder if that has a lot to do with it, the fact that they know I wont get free booze without it..haha
Actually, we don't distinguish by aircraft type and whether that equipment has front cabin or not--we're only looking at class of service.

Glad you enjoyed your drink!

Originally Posted by Seabilly
Actually, I had a flight on the 17th which is the first time I haven't received a HOOU coupon in a long time when using my home computer to print out my boarding pass. Sometimes it was a miss at hotels, but wrote that off to their browser issues. No biggie, still had some coupons from my PM kit.
I don't doubt one bit--some of these hotel computers are quite clunky. Just curious, what hotel chain was this?

Jacob,

I want to acknowledge, and tell you how sincerely I appreciate, the candor and detail in your post.^^^

Transparency is good and provides a welcome alternative to speculation.

I hope that I seldom need them, but I have greatly increased confidence that I will receive the HOOU coupons necessary to comfort me on any non-upgraded flights in the future.

I am curious though... what are the "couple known issues to still be worked through"?
You are welcome! Going forward I'll try to be more direct in my responses. I was reading some of my previous responses, lol, and I can see now that my verboseness and colorful word choices were just stirring the confusion.

Known Issues
  1. A trip with multiple segments where the last segment of the trip is in F/C, but the previous segments are in Y and not upgraded will not see a coupon today.

This was not intentional or part of any IT requirements we (DL) developed; this is a physical limitation to the ad serving solution we're using to power coupons.

2. Itineraries with an OA Elite number (Alaska MVP Gold or SkyTeam Elite Plus) will not see a coupon today.

When we originally setup Sojern on delta.com way back when, and prior to coupons, the OA elite indicators were not identified and setup to be passed to the vendor in our original requirements (I can't recall exactly why, but I believe there was no business need at the time that warranted passing the data, not realizing we would use this ad serving solution to power a coupon benefit for elites a couple years later, and then need it).

On the upside, I am actively working on these. Based on what I've learned so far, #1 will probably be easier to fix, and #2 may take us a little bit longer. Stay tuned!

Feature Requests
Here are some of the feature requests we've received from many of you. I keep a running log of these things so our team here can keep top of mind when we find new development opportunities for the product.

• Serve coupons on each individual economy segment within a trip (versus the one coupon per trip we do today)
  • Serve coupons on mobile & kiosks
  • Extend validity dates
  • Add movie/headset to redemption options
  • Serve coupons to companions traveling in the same PNR who are not technically Sky Priority

I need to re-sweep through this thread again, as I might be missing one or two. More ideas are always welcome!

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Jacob, can you confirm this is only working with OLCI and not with Kiosk check-in? What about reprinting BP at the airport kiosks?
Yes, you are correct. Sky Priority coupons only work on OLCI, not kiosk. Sky Priority coupons cannot be reprinted at an airport kiosk.

I would love to add Sky Priority coupons to kiosk and mobile. It's on the roadmap, but to be completely upfront, I don't think we'll see those features added in 2011.

Originally Posted by USAF_Pride
I will be flying N this weekend and will report my results (PM). I wonder if the FO in the same PNR will cause issues?!? Jacob?
This should not cause any issues; a coupon should show on your pass and not on the FO pass. Keep me posted if you see anything quirky...

Originally Posted by DLroads
Good morning Jacob,

We are willing to buy you a picture of a window to the cubicle... and even put a plane in the background (oh... that would feel like a first class seat! )

Thank you for the update. I do see that you, and other DL employees are now marked nicely in green (good new FT feature).

Please encourage your fellows to come in and participate/reply to the inquries raised (i.e. dl.com, pricing errors, schedules, OLCI msgs, HOOU-thank you,etc.)

Best,

DLroads (looking from window at a nice day in the NY area, and planes to/from LGA seem to go on a regular pattern)
Thank you! A window would be nice--my cube is a bit gray. I do have this poster in my cube to help brighten things up.

Interest in FlyerTalk is growing at DL HQ. In fact, several employees, myself included, had a FlyerTalk pow wow earlier this week. I think you'll start to see more employees at HQ joining in here soon...

Jacob Morris
Senior Product Manager
Customer Experience
Delta Air Lines, Inc.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz Plat
Feature Requests
Here are some of the feature requests we've received from many of you. I keep a running log of these things so our team here can keep top of mind when we find new development opportunities for the product.

• Serve coupons on each individual economy segment within a trip (versus the one coupon per trip we do today)
  • Serve coupons on mobile & kiosks
  • Extend validity dates
  • Add movie/headset to redemption options
  • Serve coupons to companions traveling in the same PNR who are not technically Sky Priority
Thanks for the detailed update. Curiously, my entire family got HOOU coupons several weeks ago and I am the only Medallion.

Also, on browser compatibility, I never get the coupon to appear using the Chrome browser.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles (Silver), UA Mileage Plus, US Scareways, AA Advantage
T
Interest in FlyerTalk is growing at DL HQ. In fact, several employees, myself included, had a FlyerTalk pow wow earlier this week. I think you'll start to see more employees at HQ joining in here soon...

Jacob Morris
Senior Product Manager
Customer Experience
Delta Air Lines, Inc.
Thanks for all your assistance Jacob! Hopefully more DL employees will indeed join in on FT as some members do think DL's posting has been somewhat lacking.... But seriously, thanks again! It would be awesome if DL could have an employee from each department who would sort out issues concerning their "area"--pretty much exactly like you're doing!

Once again, thanks for posting here on FT!
DL757ATL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.