Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Comments re: B/E Service - to the DL Lurkers

Old Dec 21, 10, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL

[Revised to be more ppt-based.]
[B/E seat photos in one of the replies.]

Executive Summary

While I, personally, was pretty much happy with the service, here's some criticism to DL management, attempting to capture what could be done to improve the it for the sake of all passengers, not just mine. Most of these won't cost too much implement. Note that this criticism goes beyond actions of front-line employees, as they just did fine.

My main concern is that DL has quite some competition in the Asian market, such as CX and UA. And their brands have been in existence much longer, as DL is the "new kid on the block." Is DL ready to deal with the competition?

Flight: DL27 - DTW-HKG
Date: 12/18/2010
Plane: 7108

Asian market: IF DL is attempting to penetrate the Asian market, they need to do a better job.
* The food offerings were so Western-oriented. The Asian dish needs to be rice-based, not lo mein-based. What about dim sum as appetizers or as mid-flight snacks? [I loved Michelle's signature salmon dish and the appetizer, BTW, that I'd like to copy the signature dish for my own meals at home. But, this isn't about me - it's about the Asian market.]
* NW did a great job handling the Japanese passengers with a dedicated Japanese magazine and meal service. It gave an ambiance that NW catered to both the US and Japanese markets equally, whereas the Chinese passengers on the DL flight were an afterthought. [I'm neither. So this doesn't affect me personally. But those Chinese passengers affect DL's bottom line and market share.] DL should do something similar for the Chinese passengers, esp. since they're serving PVG, HKG, and PEK. (I know there could be some implementation issues as there are different dialects.)

Amenities:
* There should be disposable "dixie" cups in the bathroom to use when brushing teeth, regardless of class of service. I think this should be obvious. For B/E passengers, it's pretty weird without the cups, as they're provided amenity kits with toothbrush and toothpaste.
* The wet "towels" in the bathroom are kind of weird. Are they supposed to be thrown away after use? On my flight, there were used towels sitting in the sink area. If the towels should be thrown away, then there should be a note. If not, then there should be a small bag where to place the used towels. After a few hours, those towels dry up after a few hours, so I had to put water on them. I suggest this concept be revisited. It was very weird. (On my last ATL-JNB flight, there wasn't any. But since DL decided to offer this on the HKG flight, it should be done right or not done at all.)

F/A Service:
* F/As should introduce himself/herself to the passengers in the quadrant he/she will be tending to some time prior to meal service. It eliminates the awkwardness esp. for pax seated in row 7, as they're served by F/As in the rear quadrants. (I was aware of this on my ATL-JNB flight so I didn't feel weird; but it would be awkward for other pax unaware.) In addition, the service feels more personal for 5 minutes of extra effort by the crew. CO's been doing this for at least the past 10 years - they do the introductions during taxi.

Lounge Access: On boarding passes printed using OLCI, there should be a note telling the pax that his/she is invited to use the lounge prior to departure, in addition to telling the pax where it's located. For any passenger type, the road warrior or the rich leisure traveler, it would make life easier, as some may not be aware of the feature or some may not know where to go to find the lounge. CX does this.

Last two items are particular to me

Seat: It would be great to have a note by the USB and headphone jacks mentioning where the electrical outlets are. I had to ask an F/A where it was. Keep in mind that although I flew B/E on the same aircraft last May, I forgot where it was, and it wasn't easy to find the third time around! But then again, this could be just me.

IFE: The moving map feature wasn't working. The plane icon was "stuck" at DTW the entire flight, with the incorrect times being displayed. A similar problem occurred on ATL-JNB DL200 on 5/25/2010. Ship was 7108. Was this a security-related issue or a technical difficulty?

Last edited by Wiirachay; Dec 22, 10 at 7:41 pm
Old Dec 21, 10, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.1MM, EK Gold, SQ Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Did they refer to you by last name? This is something I have noticed as VERY Inconsistent in the DL BE service that, while very simple, can go a long way.
Old Dec 21, 10, 5:59 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Wiirachay View Post
<If you see this message, this post is being edited at this very moment.>

Flight: DL27 - DTW-HKG
Date: 12/18/2010
Plane: 7108

IFE: The moving map feature wasn't working. The plane icon was "stuck" at DTW the entire flight, with the incorrect times being displayed. A similar problem occurred on ATL-JNB DL200 on 5/25/2010. Quite irked me as I determine my sleeping schedule based on the progress of the flight, as well as use the display to determine the time.

Amenities:
* B/E amenity kits are given. However, there are no disposable "dixie" cups available in the bathroom to use when brushing teeth! We need cups!!!
* The wet "towels" in the bathroom are kind of weird. Are they supposed to be thrown away after use? A lot of pax left used towels sitting in the sink area. (Gross.) Perhaps there should be a note saying whether they should be thrown away. If they shouldn't be thrown away, there should be a small bag where to place the used towels. Those towels dry up after a few hours, BTW. So I had to put water on them. I suggest this concept be revisited. Very weird. (I didn't see this on the ATL-JNB flights last May.)

F/A Service: It would be great for the F/A assigned to the quadrant to introduce himself/herself during taxi to the pax he/she will be tending to during meal service. It eliminates the awkwardness esp. for pax seated in row 7, as they're served by F/As in the rear quadrants. In addition, the service is more personal for 5 minutes of extra effort. CO's been doing this for at least the past 10 years.

Seat: It would be great to have a note by the USB and headphone jacks mentioning where the electrical outlets are. I had to ask an F/A where it was. Keep in mind that although I flew B/E on the same aircraft last May, I forgot where it was, and it wasn't easy to find the third time around!

Asian market: If DL is attempting to penetrate the Asian market, they need to do a better job. The food offerings are so Western-oriented. What about dim sum appetizers or mid-flight snacks?

NW did a great job handling the Japanese passengers with a dedicated Japanese magazine and meal service. Not sure what DL is doing now, as I haven't flown USA-Japan flights post-merger. DL should be doing something similar to the Chinese passengers, esp. since they're serving PVG, HKG, and PEK. (I know there could be some implementation issues as there are different dialects.)

Lounge Access: On boarding passes printed using OLCI, there should be a note telling the pax that his/she is invited to use the lounge prior to departure, in addition to telling the pax where it's located. CX does this.
Bad mood before you got on the plane huh?
Old Dec 21, 10, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Quite irked me as I determine my sleeping schedule based on the progress of the flight, as well as use the display to determine the time.
A watch or a clock?

When you start your ..... like this, Delta quits reading.
Old Dec 21, 10, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, DL 0.8MM
I agree, OP makes some excellent points regarding BE, but the first sentence, as read by some part time employee in Atlanta who is making $10 an hour and wishes they could take their kids to disney, you have to know your audiance, and the flight map complaint comes off as the most frivulous. I don't like when it is broken either, but I'm not going to open a complaint with Delta about it.

Here is my comment on BE for the lurkers - "I understand you have an agreement with Coke Cola, paper napkins, face up, with each beverage... but you NEED to revise the terms and exclude Champaign!" It is so cheap!!
Old Dec 21, 10, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by DLATL777 View Post
Did they refer to you by last name? This is something I have noticed as VERY Inconsistent in the DL BE service that, while very simple, can go a long way.
ATL crew did that on my JNB flights. I just realized they didn't do that on the HKG flight until I read your post. I'm not really one to be addressed by last name though.

Originally Posted by jjlovecub View Post
Bad mood before you got on the plane huh?
Not quite. My postings can come off as harsh at times - esp. when it comes to criticizing management of any company. I loved the PMNW crew. There were two other crew members I wanted to take photos with - as they had some Christmas items on them, but I ran out of time and needed to catch my onward flight on PR.

Originally Posted by indufan View Post
A watch or a clock?

When you start your ..... like this, Delta quits reading.
Good point. I moved the IFE comment to the end. But in my earlier post, if they decide to implement something, they should implement it right. What you guys read was the first-draft, as I made some changes. (My internet connection died for a few hours in between the initial post and when I posted a revision.) Let's hope DL takes these comments seriously.

Last edited by Wiirachay; Dec 22, 10 at 2:02 am
Old Dec 21, 10, 6:50 pm

Programs: Delta DM and 1 MM, HHonors Diamond (thru AMEX), Marriott Gold
The OP makes a point. This week my wife was op-uped to BE on an oversold SEA-PEK flight, which she enjoyed very much overall. But my wife is Asian, and she was disappointed that none of the entrees offered were served with rice! (There was a Lo Mein noodles selection, to be fair.)
Old Dec 21, 10, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL/UA/AA/BA

Actually, not quite.
that's awesome. While a longtime NW flyer and loyalist, I do very much like the Delta culture and standard of service. Great people.
Old Dec 21, 10, 7:38 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by Uncle Lars View Post
The OP makes a point. This week my wife was op-uped to BE on an oversold SEA-PEK flight, which she enjoyed very much overall. But my wife is Asian, and she was disappointed that none of the entrees offered were served with rice! (There was a Lo Mein noodles selection, to be fair.)
Strange, but I rarely see Asians eat rice when other (free) choices exist. I love the stuff, a lot easier to eat than noodles.
Old Dec 21, 10, 7:47 pm

Programs: Delta FO (I use to be More)
Am I the only one who thinks the FA looks uncomfortable in that picture
Old Dec 21, 10, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by HWGeeks View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the FA looks uncomfortable in that picture
Is that because of her companion...or because of the DL uniform?

BTW like several of you I am sure, I know her. Thanks for great service from a longtime customer.
Old Dec 21, 10, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL DM
I think the OP makes some good points. Delta needs to "step it up" a bit to compete. It would help to address some of these issues across the DL network and they are often repeated on this board (broken IFE to SYD anyone?)
Old Dec 21, 10, 8:21 pm

Programs: Delta FO (I use to be More)
Neither she just looks tired and uncomfy. Maybe she had a long day
Old Dec 21, 10, 8:41 pm

Programs: Elites with (DL, KE, OZ, & SPG)
Dixie cups, I never put those water anywhere close to my mouth.
Just get a little bottled water before you go brush your teeth.

Meal options, Japan routes are still offering the Japanese meal selection, and it's fairly nice. However, I do think other Asian direct routes (China, and Korea) needs some kinds of improvement. -> I suggest work with local Skyteam carrier to develop the new menu.^

Wet towels, I'm not too sure which one you are talking about, but I think you are mentioning the "Domestic Hot towels", and they are supposed to be thrown away after each use. (personally never seen a used towel laying around)

Moving maps, well it sucks if its not working, but its not end of the world. I wonder if the crew tried to reset your system. often the issue is solved that way.

Seat power & Lounge location, if the one is interested in using it, and can't find it, there are people to answer the question. not a problem for "Most" people.
Old Dec 21, 10, 8:54 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by DLATL777 View Post
I prefer to be called by my first name.

As for the clock issue, I wear a dual timezone watch, which is very useful (although there are times when I long for a third face).

OP: was the FA ok with you posting that photo to the WWW? If you weren't explicit about that, I'd suggest you (and subsquent quoters) remove it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: