Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Comments re: B/E Service - to the DL Lurkers

Comments re: B/E Service - to the DL Lurkers

Old Dec 21, 2010, 8:42 pm

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
Dixie cups? You gotta be kidding. NEVER put any water from the plane tanks in your mouth. There are lots of studies showing bacteria, including E.Coli in the hold tanks.

Excellent article on germs in planes: http://www.budgettravel.com/bt-dyn/c...120704144.html

Originally Posted by Wiirachay
[Revised to be more ppt-based.

Amenities:
* There should be disposable "dixie" cups in the bathroom to use when brushing teeth, regardless of class of service. I think this should be obvious. For B/E passengers, it's pretty weird without the cups, as they're provided amenity kits with toothbrush and toothpaste.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by andymo99
I prefer to be called by my first name.

As for the clock issue, I wear a dual timezone watch, which is very useful (although there are times when I long for a third face).

OP: was the FA ok with you posting that photo to the WWW? If you weren't explicit about that, I'd suggest you (and subsquent quoters) remove it.
Yeah - I even checked with the ones who were wearing the Christmas garb. (Was concerned that some psycho in HQ may tried to give them a hard time for not conforming to code.) But there was no time to take more photos.

Last edited by Wiirachay; Dec 22, 2010 at 1:22 am
Old Dec 22, 2010, 1:18 am

Programs: DL Platinum
Your point about the "wet towels" is a very good point. However, I believe they are actually dry towels that are to be used to dry your hands instead of the paper towels. I have never actually seen them wet there. But, I had the same problem the first time I saw them. I even had to ask the FA what to do with them? Throw them away? Put them in a secret box somewhere? They are actually disposable and should be thrown away according to the FA.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 1:25 am
Original Poster

77L Business Elite Seats - My Photos

These were pictures taken on my trip from JNB to ATL last May on the B777-200LR. Overall, I like these seats. Finally after 12 years from my first confirmed J class trip, the seat is 180 degrees. What else can be done from this point to improve the J class hard products?

Standard-Issue BE seat (13C):

Last row in BE (14C):

Note the extra shelf space where the bag sits. My dad's CPAP machine fit well there.

BE Seat Reclined (13D):

Note that the light tan bedding was mine. It was just a full-size bed spread folded in half. On my outbound flight, I sat in 7A, which had more privacy. However, I felt claustrophobic in it, as my right hand side was blocked and I was unable to talk to other passengers across from me. So I switched to 13D on the return. But if anti-social is your thing, then 7AD/14AD is your cup of tea. I slept for 6 hours straight, then I had snack. Afterward, I slept for another 3 hours. A very comfortable bed, at least for my dimensions.

Looking forward while seated in 13D:

You can see the feet of the passenger in 13C and the face of the passenger in 12C. In order to talk to the passenger in 12C, you have to speak loudly, resulting in annoying other passengers in the cabin. And the passenger in 12C has to turn his/her head. These seats are not prone to being social.

Looking sideways while seated in 13D, rotating my head 90 degrees.

You have to speak loudly to the person in 13C, similar to 12C. In 14C was my Dad. It was very awkward trying to talk to him throughout the flight while seated.

The B/E seat control panel!

It took me 30 minutes to get the perfect shot. But, the massage function is a little weird. Overall, great interface.

The bathroom and its amenities:

The wet towels were the disposable ones in the packets, which I thought were reasonable. On the HKG flight, there were F class "hot" towels, which were weird, as they dried up. (See my previous posting today.)

Demonstration of 2 People Flying BE Together: My Parents

Quite a weird way to talk to your travel companion. Between 2 seats together that allow social interaction and direct aisle access for every business class seat, the latter wins - DL got that right. (Sorry, Mom and Dad.) Something's got to give. Besides the target market is referenced directly by the name of the service, Business Elite. (For the record, I was the one who paid for their trip.)

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Dec 22, 2010 at 8:39 am Reason: Merged with OP's original B/E thread
Old Dec 22, 2010, 3:39 am

[Revised to be more ppt-based.]

Executive Summary

Amenities:
* There should be disposable "dixie" cups in the bathroom to use when brushing teeth, regardless of class of service. I think this should be obvious. For B/E passengers, it's pretty weird without the cups, as they're provided amenity kits with toothbrush and toothpaste.
To the best of my understanding the lavatory water is non-potable, and putting dixie cups in the bathroom would encourage people to drink the water.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 7:06 am

Programs: HERTZ,Marriott,NWPlat,AA Silver
[QUOTE=andymo99;15500206]I prefer to be called by my first name.

RE: the name game. I feel for the F/As on this one as they are d@med if you do, or d@med if you don't. Please understand that there are many cultures where addressing someone by their name (even surname) is considered overly-familiar and inappropriate. There are many people, myself included, who do not want their name broadcast among strangers.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by drjazz
Dixie cups? You gotta be kidding. NEVER put any water from the plane tanks in your mouth. There are lots of studies showing bacteria, including E.Coli in the hold tanks.

Excellent article on germs in planes: http://www.budgettravel.com/bt-dyn/c...120704144.html
+ 10000000

I could post the million articles on how horrific that water really is but I think everyone knows. BOTTLED water ONLY.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:17 am
k2

Dixie cups in most J lavs are for the mouthwash. DL doesn't provide mouthwash, so no dixie cups needed. Overall, amenities in DL J lavs are not as good as others, and they don't clean the lavs mid-flight like most carriers.

I would like larger bottles of water. The mini Dasani bottles are way too small and it's a pain to keep asking for more during the flight. Every other carrier I've flown in J distributes normal sized bottles (12-14oz). I guess it's DL's deal with Coke, but why not use larger Dasani bottles in BE?

Menu-wise, DL has a long way to go. Not only are the main service choices uncompetitive, but they especially need to improve the mid-flight menu. Every other Asia bound J carrier I've flown offers a range of small snacks that you can pick and choose from (and order at any time during the flight). Best I've had recently was on NH where you place your order via AVOD, any time you wanted.

I'm comparing DL against non-US based carriers, so perhaps it's not fair, but J to Asia in DL does not stack up well against other options. Not sure about UA/AA as I try to fly their partners (NH, SQ, AC, JL) instead.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by k2
I would like larger bottles of water. The mini Dasani bottles are way too small and it's a pain to keep asking for more during the flight. Every other carrier I've flown in J distributes normal sized bottles (12-14oz). I guess it's DL's deal with Coke, but why not use larger Dasani bottles in BE?
On many international flights originating from overseas, there are often different branded and bigger bottles in addition to the regular Dasani bottles. At least on DL, there seems to be an unending supply of the Dasani bottles, whereas other airlines with the bigger bottles are often provisioned for one bottle per pax.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
These were pictures taken on my trip from JNB to ATL last May on the B777-200LR. Overall, I like these seats. Finally after 12 years from my first confirmed J class trip, the seat is 180 degrees. What else can be done from this point to improve the J class hard products?
I thought your post was a good addition to this thread that remains buried in the pre-Delta forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...seat-recs.html
Old Dec 22, 2010, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xeno
I thought your post was a good addition to this thread that remains buried in the pre-Delta forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...seat-recs.html
Thanks. I added a link to that thread. That thread should be moved to the main DL forum!
Old Dec 24, 2010, 9:18 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by MSPFlyGuy
RE: the name game. I feel for the F/As on this one as they are d@med if you do, or d@med if you don't. Please understand that there are many cultures where addressing someone by their name (even surname) is considered overly-familiar and inappropriate. There are many people, myself included, who do not want their name broadcast among strangers.
Many cultures...? I've never heard of this bit. I'd be curious to hear what some of those are... It's not an American thing... Maybe it's a Minnesota thing and I wouldn't understand... I like familiarity, btw.

Last edited by LGA; Dec 24, 2010 at 9:20 am Reason: MSPFlyGuy's quote had wacky formatting so I had to fix formatting and content of my post.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 2:25 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Good, actionable points from the original post. Asian expectations are different and not necessarily at odds with Western ones -- but important to consider if making DL a first instead of secondary choice for premium Asia based passengers is a goal. And not to mention differences within Asia...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.