Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Platinum folks: How often are you upgraded?

Platinum folks: How often are you upgraded?

Old Nov 12, 2011, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by terryan
Just under 50% as a plat, flying out of DTW. It depends on where I am going and when. To Nashville, Seattle, Florida, I am close to 75%. To New York, SFO, ATL, Cancun, much lower than 50%. Funny, as a NWA silver, I got upgraded more.
Out of DTW, I never get upgraded SFO anymore as a Platnium. Last time I flew SFO/DTW was in late Sept on the sunday redeye and I was like number 14 on the upgrade list. My last DTW/LAS tripdidn't get upgraded either way and that used to be a route they would frequently sell gate upgrades on. So far as a PM I have only missed on LGA/DTW upgrade.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 5:40 pm

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
I am currently a Los Angeles based Platinum Medallion. Earlier this year I was a NYC based PM. That said, I have been only disappointed with Delta's upgrades this year.

I have gotten less than 25% upgrades on domestic flights this year and I can't say that day flown or location seemed to matter for the flights I was on. I did have better success in being upgraded to F on flights I got rescheduled on than on orginally booked flights (I had a misadventure arriving to JFK a couple months ago and needed to be rebooked to get to LAX, and that took the TA ~50 minutes to accomplish).

And to think that I never got the 1K bonus miles for having to sit in whY on NW as a PE....
Old Nov 13, 2011, 9:59 am

Programs: Delta PL, Marriottt PL, Hilton GD
I am Palm Beach based but occasionally fly out of FLL. I've noticed the last month upgrades are getting harder to come by. I'm sure it has to be an increase of elites, the season hitting peak in South Florida, and First Class optimization.
Just as an example, I'm not upgraded yet on a flight this coming Friday with still 10 seats open upfront.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: DL DM, UA PS, MR Plt, A-Club Plt, HH G, Avis First
Which at this point is still outside the T-5 day window...

Regarding the people who are complaining about not getting a free perk:
Yes, I love the upgrades just as much as anyone, but I understand it as a perk and not a right.

First Class Monetization: Um, why should I be upset for Delta trying to be as profitable as possible? In my business, if I decided not to pursue an additional revenue stream there would be SEVERAL extremely, easily documented reasons for me to justify making that choice. Those reasons would also have to show an ROI greater than the additional revenue stream. There is first class seating on most DL flights and they should be trying to sell them.

AMEX: Well, I don't honestly know enough about this to make a comment one way or the other. However, I'm not going to knock someone for playing by the rules and gaining status. We all don't have the same opportunities but I'm not .....ing about the people who can afford to fly private or who's companies fly them first or business. I think it was kindergarden when I learned life isn't fair.

I think that the reduction of total capacity is resulting in more and more elites being on any given flight given the appearance of hugely ballooning levels. Those who have to fly, have to fly. Cut down on the vacationers and trips for people where its not 100% necessary and the picture becomes skewed. If you put frequent flyers over the total pax as the denominatior and then reduce just the total pax...well, I'm sure you get the point.

At the end of the day, I'm just going to buy my seat (always in coach so) and if I get upgraded as a result of spending too much time away from the family, then all the better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.