Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Question about DL Salt Lake City-Paris Nonstop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles

I am planning a trip to Paris in mid-February 2011. I will be flying Business Class and am currently considering the SLC-CDG nonstop service.

Does anyone have any reviews/advice on this route? Is the business class service on this equipment (767-300ER, I think) good or would it be advisable to use another hub as the crossing point across the Atlantic?

Any input would be appreciated.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
MSP-CDG nonstop also uses the horrid 767. From Boise, I don't think you have additional choices without doing an additional connection. Thus, I suspect it's mainly a matter of which schedule you prefer.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If horrid is established by the absence of AVOD in coach, I guess NW at the time of its acquisition operated about 32 satisfactory aircraft and around 275 horrid ones, including 747-400s on some very long stage lengths.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 12:31 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Personally I like the SLC-CDG flight as it is fairly long and gives you the opportunity to get a decent night's sleep. The flight gets to Paris in the middle of the day, which I prefer over a 7 am arrival. It is a 767, but it is a fairly good product in BE. So yes, I recommend it.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL PM,1MM
Originally Posted by PHXflier
Personally I like the SLC-CDG flight as it is fairly long and gives you the opportunity to get a decent night's sleep. The flight gets to Paris in the middle of the day, which I prefer over a 7 am arrival. It is a 767, but it is a fairly good product in BE. So yes, I recommend it.
I enjoyed the route - It's like eating an early dinner, heading to bed and waking up early. I usually feel much worse when I'm on an East coast TATL flight.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 6:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I'd Go With the Big D from SLC

According to flightaware.com, tonight's version of DL170 will spend 9 hours 54 minutes aloft. I'm not sure if having dinner at 6 p.m. MST is that early of a dinner (tonight's trip got going at 1716 MST). The complete dinner service, including dessert/fruit & cheese and after dinner drinks, takes 90 minutes, and a breakfast is served about 60-75 minutes from landing at CDG, so there should be at least 7 hours available for undisturbed sleep. I happen to sleep quite well in a Delta BE seat.

By contrast, the 3,850 miles between IAD and CDG takes about 6 hours 30 minutes eastbound, which means that the time available for sleep is about 3.5 to 4 hours max.

Flightaware.com provides the route of flight. Assuming the weather in the midwest is similar to that in the DC area (clear and cold, beautiful starry sky), the passengers on the right side of the aircraft will get quite a treat, as the flight is scheduled to pass over GIJ, the "Gipper VOR" marker near Niles, Michigan, 9 miles north of the University of Notre Dame--the Golden Dome will be lit and will be gorgeous.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 9:36 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Not sure what the state of NW's Y class cabin has to do with a request for information about DL's business class product. While "horrid" might be one person's opinion of the business class seats on this plane and others dont seem to mind it, it's hard to argue that it isnt a dated product. I personally have voted with my feet on this one and will take an extra connection to avoid this plane.

On the timing issue, I agree that's a major plus to leave later in the day from the west coast. The SEA-AMS flight is terrible in this regard, you land in AMS around the time you would have gone to sleep in SEA. The YVR-AMS flight is about as good as it gets, departing at 8:25pm. If you like these sorts of flights, you can try SLC-JFK-CDG, and catch one of the late evening connections to CDG. Less time to sleep, but if you skip the dinner service and kick back right away you can get some decent sleep (one of which is the A380 with fully flat seats).

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If horrid is established by the absence of AVOD in coach, I guess NW at the time of its acquisition operated about 32 satisfactory aircraft and around 275 horrid ones, including 747-400s on some very long stage lengths.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 9:52 pm

I personally love it - in fact I'm taking it again this Friday. It leaves late enough that I can get almost a full day of work in, meal is served at a reasonable hour, and there's plenty of time for sleep (seems that it's usually around 9:20 of flight time or so, leaving a good seven hours for sleep). I'd take it over a connection any day.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by stephem
Less time to sleep, but if you skip the dinner service and kick back right away you can get some decent sleep (one of which is the A380 with fully flat seats).
AF's A380 business class seats, to be clear, even if considered by some to be "flat," are decidedly not horizontal.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 2:12 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
A great way to experience what flying business class was like in 1998.

I would seriously consider routing on Delta via an airport where you will not be on a 763 to Europe, if possible; or simply taking another carrier.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 2:18 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM+
I prefer the BC seats on the 767 vs. the A330. They recline in a more relaxing and fitting angle for me. The cabin is dated compared to the A330, but still I like the seats better.

Paris is fine as a final destination, I avoid it like the plague if I have a connection. I would much rather connect in AMS than anywhere else in Europe.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 4:07 am

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
This route is certainly one of my favorites in the DL system. The FAs will be SLC based, which I have had wonderful experiences with. The aircraft is comfortable. Some prefer the A330 over the 767, but to me, it is fine.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Thank you!

Thank you all for the input! I think I will be flying the route. The alternative is to go over to MSP or down to LAX (I have that option on account of a client visit there). We'll give it a spin! Thanks again. Merry Christmas!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.