Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Some people will say ANYTHING to get into the lounge!!

Old Dec 18, 10, 2:52 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver

I'm sitting in the AF lounge at TXL and I heard the following exchange between the door attendant/agent and pax:

Agent: I'm sorry, you're not flying business class.

Pax: I am! From JFK to STL!

Agent: But you have to be in business class from here to the USA.

Pax: ----> Ohhhh, with Delta, if you're on one flight in business class, the WHOLE TRIP IS CONSIDERED BUSINESS CLASS!!!

No entry, of course!! - - LUVIT LUVIT!!

I kind of fibbed once, about not knowing the rules, to get into a NW lounge!!

Just a side note that 4 of 5 AF flights to CDG were canceled yesterday and already KL has a cancellation, so you could imagine the lines!! The ticket counter line for rebooking snakes sooooo long, that there are 2 agents with inflight style carts/trolleys serving juices to people who are lined up!!!! AMAZING!!
Old Dec 18, 10, 4:11 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
I can't help but wonder if that pax was on an end-of-the-year MR since the final destination is STL. Might very well be a FTer.
Old Dec 18, 10, 4:21 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
I don't like people who try to sneak into lounges, but in the PAX defense, if you fly F/J on any of the legs, then F/J baggage rules apply for the entire itinerary. It's not THAT far fetched to believe that it would also entail lounge access...
Old Dec 18, 10, 4:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by florin View Post
I don't like people who try to sneak into lounges, but in the PAX defense, if you fly F/J on any of the legs, then F/J baggage rules apply for the entire itinerary. It's not THAT far fetched to believe that it would also entail lounge access...
Flying F/J on a domestic segment does not get you into the lounge, so even if the lounge access rule applied to the entire itinerary he still would not be eligible to enter for his trans-Atlantic flight.

(On the other hand, if he is flying CDG-JFK-ATL-FLL in Biz/F, he is allowed into lounges in all of those airports as long as it is the same day as his CDG-JFK flight.)
Old Dec 18, 10, 6:45 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Not quite the same, but once I was flying home LGW-MSP-LAX (on NW) and had been upgraded on the domestic leg. There was a huge line to get thru security/passport check -- I think this was just after the really started enforcing the one bag carry on rule.

Anyway, this official looking guy came out and said "Anybody holding a business or first class boarding pass come this way..." -- well I was holding a first class boarding pass (just not out of London but he didn't ask that) so I went with him and jumped quite a bit of the line
Old Dec 18, 10, 8:25 am

Programs: Delta DM, UA 1P, Hyatt Passport Diamond, SPG Gold
I was in the HNL SC lounge about a month ago and I heard an exchange between a passenger and the SC agent. Basically went down like this:

Agent: "Sorry sir, but you have to be flying International BE, have a SC membership or you can buy a one day pass"
Passenger: "I'm flying first class, so I should be given access!"
Agent: "I'm sorry sir, but this is a domestic itinerary."
Passenger: "Well I've flown over a million miles all across the world with you guys, so you'd better give me access! I'm not paying any money just to come in here!"

etc.

This went on for a bit like this more or less, and she did mention the AMEX deal of $25/$20 (I can't remember) for a day pass if you have the card too. Basically, she explained all of the rules correctly. It's obvious that the guy didn't read Delta's policy.

In general, I really hate two kinds of people. 1) People who essentially verbally bully others to get what they want, especially if that entails trying to make people break/bend rules. 2)Power trippers - basically those that try to scare others by status (I know this high ranking person, I'm a lawyer, "do you know who I am"). Already deal enough with that with my current temporary job. Well, I guess they're sort of the same people.

But anyways, I knew enough of the rules, though I couldn't remember if being a million miler gave you SC access (checking later, found it only gives you lifetime Silver Medallion). If I would've remembered, I was about to walk up to him to tell him what the SC policies were and to check Delta's website, which will clearly state it.

Last edited by aquastar831; Dec 18, 10 at 9:26 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 18, 10, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by aquastar831 View Post
But anyways, I knew enough of the rules, though I couldn't remember if being a million miler gave you SC access (checking later, found it only gives you lifetime Silver Medallion). If I would've remembered, I was about to walk up to him to tell him what the SC policies were and to check Delta's website, which will clearly state it.
I would have said, "WOW! That's incredible! You've flown over 1 million miles around the world with Delta and you've yet to figure out the rules."
Old Dec 18, 10, 8:39 am

Programs: Delta DM, UA 1P, Hyatt Passport Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Fanjet View Post
I would have said, "WOW! That's incredible! You've flown over 1 million miles around the world with Delta and you've yet to figure out the rules."
LOL! ^

I like that. And that would've probably shut that guy down fast, too.
Old Dec 18, 10, 8:47 am

Programs: Elites with (DL, KE, OZ, & SPG)
Originally Posted by aquastar831 View Post
Agent: "Sorry sure, but you have to be flying International BE, have a SC membership or you can buy a one day pass"
Passenger: "I'm flying first class, so I should be given access!"
Agent: "I'm sorry sir, but this is a domestic itinerary."
Passenger: "Well I've flown over a million miles all across the world with you guys, so you'd better give me access! I'm not paying any money just to come in here!"
etc.
Obviously he was a Club lice with Silver status, and got a complimentary upgrade <FYI, you get club access on paid F ticket. - If F buy-up program allows the access to the club, it is going to be very interesting.>
Old Dec 18, 10, 9:16 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by jameskwon View Post
<FYI, you get club access on paid F ticket. - If F buy-up program allows the access to the club, it is going to be very interesting.>
Are you joking or do you not know the rules either?!?
Old Dec 18, 10, 7:04 pm
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by fti View Post
Are you joking or do you not know the rules either?!?
That was unnecessary... The topic is paid F, and we've been discussing int'l, so yeah, s/he would get lounge access on paid F int'l.

With domestic, why wouldn't a buy-up to F get lounge access on the JFK-SFO and JFK-LAX transcons?
Old Dec 18, 10, 9:27 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jameskwon View Post
Obviously he was a Club lice with Silver status, and got a complimentary upgrade <FYI, you get club access on paid F ticket. - If F buy-up program allows the access to the club, it is going to be very interesting.>
Huh? Paid domestic f doesnt get you lounge access.

Is there a special Hawaii rule that you are aware of?
Old Dec 18, 10, 9:36 pm
formerly Mdanner423

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
There is no F int'l, and the BE service on the transcons is, well, BE.

Originally Posted by LGA View Post
That was unnecessary... The topic is paid F, and we've been discussing int'l, so yeah, s/he would get lounge access on paid F int'l.

With domestic, why wouldn't a buy-up to F get lounge access on the JFK-SFO and JFK-LAX transcons?
Old Dec 18, 10, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
My daughter is an acting student. On her way home for Thanksgiving she visited a SkyClub to see if she could talk her way in. She has been in many clubs with me before, including the one she was trying to get in. She knows the rules and didn't expect to get in but apparently played it to the hilt, including "My Daddy is a member". This was mostly just an exercise to observe the reactions of the agents, which I guess is what acting students do. She didn't get in. Several agents just scowled at her but one was very nice ("I'm sorry dear. Your Daddy needs to be with you.")

Not sure what the point of that story was, except that I doubt that many people really think they are going to get in. They're stuck in an airport and just want to see if it's possible.
Old Dec 18, 10, 10:49 pm

Programs: DL GM / PC APM / SPG GM / GP PM
Originally Posted by NYBanker View Post
Huh? Paid domestic f doesnt get you lounge access.

Is there a special Hawaii rule that you are aware of?
You can access some clubs if you are a Transcon F, Y, or BE: JFK, LAX, RDU, SFO, PDX, SEA, SAN per Delta's website.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: