Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

TSA detained a flight attendant at SEA this morning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2010, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Skymiles

On my way to SLC from SEA this morning. Gate agent mentioned the reason for delayed boarding was that TSA has detained a flight attendant. This is a first for me. I'm glad they were able to get a non rev FA to work the flight.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 9:37 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
TSA cannot detain anyone. Either law enforcement was involved, or the FA chose to remain at the checkpoint.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Spiff
TSA cannot detain anyone. Either law enforcement was involved, or the FA chose to remain at the checkpoint.
Yup. They do NOT have the authority to detain you. The AP police or local police need to be called in for that.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 9:47 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Pretty classy of the non-revving F/A to step up and help so the flight could operate!

I've had some pretty darn good experiences with SEA-based flight attendants lately... not sure if the F/A who stepped up to help was SEA based, but it wouldn't surprise me at all. The crew base here is divided in half - the PMNW base covers most of the int'l flying and former NW hub flying, while the PMDL base is very small so those attendants are stuck grinding out SEA-ATL-SEA over and over and over again. Really cool folks in both pre-merger groups, and from idle chatter they all seem excited about working together in the future.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 9:54 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by BenA
Pretty classy of the non-revving F/A to step up and help so the flight could operate!

I've had some pretty darn good experiences with SEA-based flight attendants lately... not sure if the F/A who stepped up to help was SEA based,
+1

It may not have been someone assigned to SEA that stepped forward, might just be someone that lived there.

Bob H
Old Dec 16, 2010, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SFOFlyer2
On my way to SLC from SEA this morning. Gate agent mentioned the reason for delayed boarding was that TSA has detained a flight attendant. This is a first for me. I'm glad they were able to get a non rev FA to work the flight.
Did DL say that the FA was detained and that a nonrev "volunteer" is taking her place? Or could it be that he/she was simply delayed by TSA and hence arrived at the aircraft late? If the FA was really arrested, I would expect the incident to be in the news.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Did DL say that the FA was detained and that a nonrev "volunteer" is taking her place? Or could it be that he/she was simply delayed by TSA and hence arrived at the aircraft late? If the FA was really arrested, I would expect the incident to be in the news.
From what the FA told me was that TSA found something suspicious in the FA's baggage at the security checkpoint and would not let her go. Had the non rev not volunteered the flight would have been cancelled.

I don't know if the AP were involved or not but the GA made the announcement that the FA was detained by TSA and hence the boarding was delayed till the FA shows up or they find a replacement.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by SFOFlyer2
From what the FA told me was that TSA found something suspicious in the FA's baggage
I'll wager it was a 4 oz bottle of hand lotion.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Bonvoy, WoH, HH
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
I'll wager it was a 4 oz bottle of hand lotion.
You lost, mail your SWU to my address
Any on duty crew is exempted from 3-1-1 rule. :
Old Dec 16, 2010, 2:00 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by jameskwon
Alas Gargoyle was being sarcastic...

But it was likely probably something similar knowing the smurfs at SEA.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Yes but TSA is exempt from any semblance of consistency in applying their own rules. Uncertainty is security.

Kuddos to the FA who stepped up.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 3:47 pm

Was the "non-rev" FA just deadheading, or was he/she actually traveling for personal reasons? Was he/she in uniform?
Old Dec 16, 2010, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
My SWU's are as useless as the TSA, so it's a fair deal.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 8:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Yes but TSA is exempt from any semblance of consistency in applying their own rules. Uncertainty is security.

Kuddos to the FA who stepped up.
I agree.

skidv25, I do not think that crew can work w/o being in uniform.

Dave
Old Dec 16, 2010, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Davescj

skidv25, I do not think that crew can work w/o being in uniform.
So it sounds like it was a deadheading/commuting FA who volunteered to fill in? Either way, ^ to him or her.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.