Should I ask for mile difference?

Old Dec 16, 10, 7:37 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MSP
Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL plat
Posts: 70
Unhappy Should I ask for mile difference?

I took Delta Flight from LAS to MSP on Dec 11st. When the plane almost reached MSP, we were told that there were big snow storm in MSP and this plane can not land in MSP and will have to land in DTW. Finnally we landed in DTW. It was not a good experience for me since I had to stay in DTW for one night (Delta does not help me for any hotel or meal cost) and I had to cancel some following flights .

Today when I check my delta activities, I saw this flight. But there are only 1300 Mile (LAS - MSP), not the 1740 Mile (LAS -DTW). I am wondering if the mile should based on people's actual flight or scheduled flight? Should I request Delta to add the mile difference (340 Mile) to my account? Thanks.
dj1000 is offline  
Old Dec 16, 10, 7:49 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Wayne, PA USA
Programs: DL MM, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Platinum Premier, HHonors Gold
Posts: 6,939
You want to request "Original Routing Credit". Be careful. If you flew to Detroit, then on to Minneapolis, you may have gotten more total miles because of the forced stop in Detroit. Only ask for Original Routing Credit if you're sure you've ended up with less miles.
jimrpa is offline  
Old Dec 16, 10, 7:53 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,314
Originally Posted by jimrpa View Post
You want to request "Original Routing Credit". Be careful. If you flew to Detroit, then on to Minneapolis, you may have gotten more total miles because of the forced stop in Detroit. Only ask for Original Routing Credit if you're sure you've ended up with less miles.
Not sure how that would help the OP, since it sounds like he already got original routing credit (the mileage for LAS-MSP). I think he is looking for the mileage for the route actually flown (LAS-DTW, and then presumably DTW-MSP). Assuming that's the case, it seems there is no harm in asking.
MarqFlyer is offline  
Old Dec 16, 10, 8:00 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MSP
Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL plat
Posts: 70
Actually I would like to requet the new Routing Credit. the original Routing Credit is LAS-MSP 1300 Mile, the new Routing credit should be LAS-DTW 1700 Mile.

Actually after a bad night in DTW, I choose a longest route back to MSP which Detla offeres me free. DTW-DAN-MSP (1899Mile). I tried to get max mile to reduce my loss: Hotel cost, Rental Car Cost and Meal cost, miles lost for two MSP flights for Sunday, which I had to cancel because I cannot catch up with them.


Originally Posted by jimrpa View Post
You want to request "Original Routing Credit". Be careful. If you flew to Detroit, then on to Minneapolis, you may have gotten more total miles because of the forced stop in Detroit. Only ask for Original Routing Credit if you're sure you've ended up with less miles.
dj1000 is offline  
Old Dec 16, 10, 8:01 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DEN
Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,816
no harm in asking, but i highly doubt you get it.
apolloms is offline  
Old Dec 16, 10, 8:05 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: BDU
Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Posts: 8,779
Originally Posted by ianturner View Post
no harm in asking, but i highly doubt you get it.
The surest way NOT to get the miles is to NOT ask for them.

I'm willing to take the bet with you, ianturner. I bet he DOES get the the credit.

OP, please let us know how it turns out!
CJKatl is offline  
Old Dec 16, 10, 9:52 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Plat
Posts: 3,090
Twice this year I have asked for and received original routing credit when I had a flight changed.
Tomphot is offline  
Old Dec 16, 10, 12:30 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DEN
Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,816
Originally Posted by Tomphot View Post
Twice this year I have asked for and received original routing credit when I had a flight changed.
he's not asking for original route credit though...he's asking for credit due to a divert...original route was to MSP and they went to DTW instead.
apolloms is offline  
Old Dec 16, 10, 1:11 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Wayne, PA USA
Programs: DL MM, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Platinum Premier, HHonors Gold
Posts: 6,939
I doubt he'd get the miles for the divert, but i'm sure he'll get the miles for the DTW-destination segment(s). As others have said - ask and see what happens.
jimrpa is offline  
Old Dec 16, 10, 6:23 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Now in SLC
Programs: DL DM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Posts: 3,115
Assuming they didn't change the flight number between segments, this may fall into the "one flight number nets credit only for the nonstop routing" loophole. But as others have said, nothing to lose by asking!
LoganFlyer is offline  
Old Dec 16, 10, 7:33 pm
  #11  
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MN
Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Posts: 11,911
Originally Posted by dj1000 View Post
Actually after a bad night in DTW, I choose a longest route back to MSP which Detla offeres me free. DTW-DAN-MSP (1899Mile).
I really doubt you flew to DAN (Danville VA). I assume that was a typo or you tried to guess at an airline code and you guessed totally wrong. Just curious how you really flew.
fti is offline  
Old Dec 17, 10, 8:58 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MSP
Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL plat
Posts: 70
Cool

I have to say that you guys are very professional.. my actual flight from DTW to MSP is (DTW- DEN - MSP)....

BTW, I did called Delta and talked to customer Rep for half a hour. It was not easy because this case is not usual. But finnally Rep talked to her supervisor twice and decided to took out the original mile of 1300 Mile (LAS - MSP) and credited me the actual mile of 1749 Mile (LAS - DTW). I am so happy with this result.

Frankly I am very happy with Delta this year. I became Delta Silver first time this year. After that, I am so supervised how easy I got free upgrade on Delta. I might got 15 upgrades of 16 segments. I still remember when I became AA platinum first time this year, the free upgrade requires some stickers. After I got enough stickers and I asked for upgrade, I have not got one upgrade. The only word I would like to say that Delta Free Domestic Upgrade is so amazing.. regarding free domestic upgrade, Delta can easily beat other airlines, even AA...

once again, thank everyone's suggestion. Go Delta...





Originally Posted by fti View Post
I really doubt you flew to DAN (Danville VA). I assume that was a typo or you tried to guess at an airline code and you guessed totally wrong. Just curious how you really flew.
dj1000 is offline  
Old Dec 17, 10, 10:03 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: FLL
Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Posts: 5,044
Originally Posted by dj1000 View Post
The only word I would like to say that Delta Free Domestic Upgrade is so amazing.. regarding free domestic upgrade, Delta can easily beat other airlines, even AA...
There is some speculation that this could change. Best to be informed. I'm not saying the sky is falling just not sure if you are aware of the implications of a recent DL announcement might have on free domestic upgrades... especially for Silvers.

DL ready to roll out 'F' buy up program
Evan! is offline  
Old Dec 18, 10, 12:00 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MSP
Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL plat
Posts: 70
Thank you for the info. that is very interesting... I hope there will be less impact to me when I will become platinum on Skymile in the end of this year..


Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
There is some speculation that this could change. Best to be informed. I'm not saying the sky is falling just not sure if you are aware of the implications of a recent DL announcement might have on free domestic upgrades... especially for Silvers.

DL ready to roll out 'F' buy up program
dj1000 is offline  
Old Dec 18, 10, 12:30 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: WAS
Posts: 2,931
Originally Posted by dj1000 View Post
Frankly I am very happy with Delta this year. I became Delta Silver first time this year. After that, I am so supervised how easy I got free upgrade on Delta.
Supervised? Sorry, it's too late for me to figure out what you mean. I keep trying to come up with something clever, though, so maybe it's a really good joke I'm just missing.
cmn.jcs is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: