Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL ready to roll out 'F' buy up program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: If Delta opts to sell upgrades ((_before giving Medallions their comp upgrades_))
I would become less loyal to Delta
78.92%
I would become more loyal to Delta
6.24%
My loyalty to Delta wouldn't be affected one way or the other
14.84%
Voters: 721. You may not vote on this poll

DL ready to roll out 'F' buy up program

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2011, 6:09 am

Programs: Delta - Silver
I'm not planning on reading 67 pages worth of thread. I tried to keep up with the FCM thread at first, but now it's huge. This may be old news.

Traveling from DTW - AUS, there was something new at the gate. On the monitors in the airport, Delta is now selling first class seats at the gate for 100$. Part of FCM and a way to erode their frequent flyer perks.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 6:16 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by publicmsu
I'm not planning on reading 67 pages worth of thread. I tried to keep up with the FCM thread at first, but now it's huge. This may be old news.

Traveling from DTW - AUS, there was something new at the gate. On the monitors in the airport, Delta is now selling first class seats at the gate for 100$. Part of FCM and a way to erode their frequent flyer perks.
Had all the UGs been processed? Were there still people waiting for an UG?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Thats not new, its been there for years. If there are still F seats available after all medallions were upgraded, then Delta will try to sell the remaining seats at the gate for a fee based on the segment distance.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 6:20 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by florin
Had all the UGs been processed? Were there still people waiting for an UG?
Of course they had. This is what DL has been doing for years. That, however, shouldn't stop one from stirring the pot with a personal agenda on FT.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

This isn't anything new. It isn't part of FCM. After all the upgrades have been processed they will sell upgrades at the gate. It's on Deltas site. No one is getting screwed out of an upgrade. Delta gets a little extra revenue out of a seat that would otherwise be empty and the person flying realy doesn't get any benefits outside of the free booze and bigger seat and meal and being on and off the plane first. Seeing it's processed at the gate they aren't getting any free luggage and they aren't getting use of the skypriority security lane and they aren't getting the 50% bonus MQM's.

In fact when I lost my status for a while on NW, there would be times when I would check in for my flight where it would check in the night before for a flight and it would offer me the option to upgrade for $50 to LGA. I did do it one time because I had a middle seat towards the back and my bag was tagged priority I checked (this was when they allowed kettles to check bags for free) and I was able to use the priority security lane.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond

You really need to take a look at Delta.com as this has nothing to do with FCM or taking UGs away from Medallions:

Same-day Standby Upgrades
The same-day standby upgrade option allows you to upgrade your flight for a small fee, provided space is available and your ticket is eligible. Eligible tickets are those ticket booked in K-class (or higher). For travel to/from Hawaii only, eligible fares include those booked in L, U and T classes. This option applies to specific flights and routings:

Within North America.
To/from Aruba, Bermuda, Grand Cayman (Cayman Islands), Montego Bay (Jamaica), Nassau (Bahamas), Providenciales (Turks and Caicos), Los Cabos (Mexico), San Juan (Puerto Rico), and St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands)
Between Atlanta and Costa Rica, St. Maarten and St. Lucia
Between Cancun (Mexico)and Atlanta, Cincinnati, Detroit, Indianapolis, Memphis and Minneapolis

The following upgrade fees apply:

Traveling Fee
0 to 500 miles $50
501 to 1,000 miles $75
1,001 to 1,500 miles $100 DTW-AUS is 1,144 miles
1,501 to 2,000 miles $150
2,001 to 3,000 miles $225
3,001 miles and up $350
Old Oct 20, 2011, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Of course they had. This is what DL has been doing for years. That, however, shouldn't stop one from stirring the pot with a personal agenda on FT.
That was a cheap shot.

It only took me about 90 seconds to click on publicmsu's screen name at the left of the post, select "Find more posts by publicmsu," scan the last 12 to 15 posts, and find no pervasive theme indicating a "personal agenda."

In fact, there were several posts taking folks to task for what appeared to be undue criticism of DL... in other words, publicmsu being supportive of DL.

Some of you DL defenders are becoming quite brittle in your responses to any post by anyone hinting at room for improvement.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Well, it appears there is something going on with FCM, at least in regard to LAS. The one way upgrade (P) has been running in the $400ish range to the southeastern part of the country. Since the last 'update' to the DL.com home page, the one way ups are double that. I took a quick look at LAX, same thing there. I just wonder what this means. The end of FCM (which I would hard find to believe)? Or, a programming error (which I would find quite easy to believe )?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I'm set to miss the first upgrade I think I've ever lost on a Tuesday night. No UG at the window and 2 F seats remaining, with a P fare being sold for $89 more than the going rate for coach. At least 4D on an A319 isn't bad.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
I'm set to miss the first upgrade I think I've ever lost on a Tuesday night. No UG at the window and 2 F seats remaining, with a P fare being sold for $89 more than the going rate for coach. At least 4D on an A319 isn't bad.
Rather than lean towards the dramatic....why won't you post the GOING rate for coach and the route? That would give the complete story, rather than the "poor me...DL is depriving me of a benefit" post.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
>>>>>>Rather than lean towards the dramatic....why won't you post the GOING rate for coach and the route? That would give the complete story, rather than the "poor me...DL is depriving me of a benefit" post.

The man has 4400 Flyertalk posts. Give him a wink and a nod for chrissakes.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Rather than lean towards the dramatic....why won't you post the GOING rate for coach and the route? That would give the complete story, rather than the "poor me...DL is depriving me of a benefit" post.
Okay, sure. ORD-ATL (my most common route). $341ai for coach (H fare). Looks like the buy-up has dropped to $69, or I just read it wrong the first time, making it $410 for confirmed F.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
Okay, sure. ORD-ATL (my most common route). $341ai for coach (H fare). Looks like the buy-up has dropped to $69, or I just read it wrong the first time, making it $410 for confirmed F.
Somebody buying that is hardly getting a bargain. 69 up off of 341 is a MUCH different story than 69 up from ....well, 69 let's say.

WAAAAAY overly-dramatic. If someone is paying 410 ow for that flight, they deserve to be in the front, and that makes perfect business sense for DL to put them there.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 6:23 am
mdb

WAAAAAY overly-dramatic.
an example of the pot calling kettle black....
Old Jan 24, 2012, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Somebody buying that is hardly getting a bargain. 69 up off of 341 is a MUCH different story than 69 up from ....well, 69 let's say.

WAAAAAY overly-dramatic. If someone is paying 410 ow for that flight, they deserve to be in the front, and that makes perfect business sense for DL to put them there.
If you say so. Paid F and other UP fares have traditionally cost twice this much on this route. You know, if you actually look back about a year ago, I had almost the same opinion as you. But whether you believe it makes business sense or not, it is resulting in high tier elites sitting in back on the lightest travel day of the week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.