FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Quiet flight PVG-DTW 12/25 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1160204-quiet-flight-pvg-dtw-12-25-a.html)

mot29 Dec 15, 2010 5:35 am

Quiet flight PVG-DTW 12/25

I am flying an award trip to PVG starting Saturday. Called yesterday to extend the trip by a day and come back on Christmas day on DL 18, the nonstop. Rebooking me, the agent commented that I was the only passenger booked in BE on the flight so far. I'm expect someone else will show up, but.... from the seat map the back looks pretty empty as well.

ControlTower Dec 15, 2010 7:14 am

It's Saturday and Christmas day. at least you will be back home by the evening ;)

rubesl Dec 16, 2010 1:58 pm

Also, do what I did when I flew on 12/25 last year DTW - FLL - I bought enough $5 Starbucks cards to give to all the crew & the two GAs. It's a nice gesture because they are working on the holiday, & they'll love you to death. Starbucks cards are good because they can use them in most airports, & they are leery of any food items (even wrapped/sealed).

PokerWhammy Dec 16, 2010 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by rubesl (Post 15463616)
Also, do what I did when I flew on 12/25 last year DTW - FLL - I bought enough $5 Starbucks cards to give to all the crew & the two GAs. It's a nice gesture because they are working on the holiday, & they'll love you to death. Starbucks cards are good because they can use them in most airports, & they are leery of any food items (even wrapped/sealed).

Thats a lot of gift cards. HKG-DTW, we had 11 or 12 FAs and 4 pilots. I would assume the same for PVG-DTW.

tentseller Dec 16, 2010 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by PokerWhammy (Post 15464051)
Thats a lot of gift cards. HKG-DTW, we had 11 or 12 FAs and 4 pilots. I would assume the same for PVG-DTW.

Also there are spare crews and FA for such a long flight.

mot29 Dec 16, 2010 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by PokerWhammy (Post 15464051)

I've done this flying Christmas eve in the past, commercially wrapped candy and cookies, though. Occasionally will fly a mileage run DCA-west coast returning on the red eye on those two days -- lots of flight, lots of connections. Often bring gifts. Also be curious to see if there is a special turkey or ham dinner instead of the standard BE steak with sauce, fish with sauce, Michelle's special chicken, or cold roast beef with seafood.

skidv25 Dec 16, 2010 3:32 pm

Don't worry, I'm sure some non-revs will keep you company in Business Elite.

mot29 Dec 16, 2010 4:03 pm

The trip became more enjoyable this morning. It was originally booked at mid-mileage level, 180,000. It was mid outbound and low on the return. When booked a few weeks ago I called to see if an agent could find it at low level by using China Eastern. She did a pretty extensive search -- JFK, LAX, even YVR but everything came up mid-level.
This morning I tried to book it to see what happened and came up at low level both ways but having to leave DC an hour earlier.
I called and the agent rebooked it. I got 60,000 miles back and even a refund because airport taxes came down. I miss flying upstairs on the 747, but to save the miles, okay. Definitely a benefit of the diamond and platinum no-fee redeposits.

And confirms what we've already discovered -- if you can wait until relatively late, there are low mileage awards out there.