Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Choice Benefits Selection

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2010, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL GM / PC APM / SPG GM / GP PM
Originally Posted by BenA
Have I posted to say this is lame in this thread yet? Looks like I haven't. This is lame. Especially since my last flight to hit Diamond was on December 10.

I don't mind the policy in principle; I mind that it wasn't communicated at all and that I made the decision to bump over the threshold to Diamond in large part because I was expecting to get 2010 benefit selections.

For the folks from Delta who are inevitably reading this and wondering if me saying that is just hyperbole from some cranky dude on the internets, it's not - you should go check out this thread from October: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...uestion-2.html The last post in that thread is why I decided to book another trip and go for diamond status (in the process committing to an extra 50k of flying next year) - getting the 2010 benefit actually changed the value equation enough for Diamond to become worthwhile for me.

Delta should really do the right thing here, much as they did (eventually) the last time we had forum drama over choice benefits. Go ahead and put the Dec 10 policy in place for next year, but be explicit about it in the program rules so we can plan accordingly.
^
Old Dec 17, 2010, 2:17 pm

Programs: Delta DM/Amex Reserve 2 Million Miler
Here's an update...which I think to be accurate....
In my case as Diamond...I did get choice benefits for 2010 and 2011 back in October.
In my business associates case who qualified for Diamond on the 15th of December he only received 2011 benefits.....

After working with SLC and ATL....I believe this to be the official story...

You qualify in a given year for next year status...so you make Diamond anytime in 2010 ..you get the status credited right away but you earned status for 2011 and it expires 2/28/12.... it's always been like that...since you qualified for 2011 you get 2011 choice benefits...

"""""The reason we all received 2010 and 2011 choice benefits up until December 10 was that it was a GLITCH (programming error in the Choice Benefits program)

We all were not entitled to double gifts....but I'm sure we will get to keep them. The glitch is now fixed from 12/10 forward and will not foul up things next year...Delta IT fixed it on the 10th.

That is the official and what I believe to be the actual answer.

There was never any cut off date because qualifying for 2011 still runs as always till 12/31/10....

For those of us that got the double dip...we were lucky...
For those who did not, I truely feel for you...
I think we all had an inkling it was too good to be true...

Last edited by robnsfla; Dec 17, 2010 at 2:19 pm Reason: left out words
Old Dec 17, 2010, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by robnsfla
Here's an update...which I think to be accurate....
In my case as Diamond...I did get choice benefits for 2010 and 2011 back in October.
In my business associates case who qualified for Diamond on the 15th of December he only received 2011 benefits.....

After working with SLC and ATL....I believe this to be the official story...

You qualify in a given year for next year status...so you make Diamond anytime in 2010 ..you get the status credited right away but you earned status for 2011 and it expires 2/28/12.... it's always been like that...since you qualified for 2011 you get 2011 choice benefits...

"""""The reason we all received 2010 and 2011 choice benefits up until December 10 was that it was a GLITCH (programming error in the Choice Benefits program)

We all were not entitled to double gifts....but I'm sure we will get to keep them. The glitch is now fixed from 12/10 forward and will not foul up things next year...Delta IT fixed it on the 10th.

That is the official and what I believe to be the actual answer.

There was never any cut off date because qualifying for 2011 still runs as always till 12/31/10....

For those of us that got the double dip...we were lucky...
For those who did not, I truely feel for you...
I think we all had an inkling it was too good to be true...
If this is true, what about the people (like me) who wouldn't have gone for the next level and instead preferred to have a healthy balance of rollover miles?

Your answer seems to be: it was a mistake/"glitch" so tough luck. But, why should DL customers be forced to suffer because of Delta's programming "glitch?" This isn't our glitch/mistake. It is Delta's.

Delta has two options as I see it:

1) Allow those impacted by their "glitch" to choose a 2010 Choice "gift"
2) Allow those impacted by their "glitch" to move down an elite level and carry forward all of their rollover elite miles. So, I now have about 80K elite miles in 2010. I should be allowed to move down to Gold and carry forward 30K miles.

Again, even if it was an honest programming error, it was Delta's error, not mine.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
If this is true, what about the people (like me) who wouldn't have gone for the next level and instead preferred to have a healthy balance of rollover miles?

Your answer seems to be: it was a mistake/"glitch" so tough luck. But, why should DL customers be forced to suffer because of Delta's programming "glitch?" This isn't our glitch/mistake. It is Delta's.

Delta has two options as I see it:

1) Allow those impacted by their "glitch" to choose a 2010 Choice "gift"
2) Allow those impacted by their "glitch" to move down an elite level and carry forward all of their rollover elite miles. So, I now have about 80K elite miles in 2010. I should be allowed to move down to Gold and carry forward 30K miles.

Again, even if it was an honest programming error, it was Delta's error, not mine.
Did this "glitch" extend back into 2009? People were getting both 2009 and 2010 benefits for going up to Plat last year, although they didn't initially give the 2009 benefits (6 SWUs) to many who qualified in December. The glitch explanation simply doesn't wash. They had plenty of time to fix it if it was a glitch.

I think that many times customer support just makes up an explanation that they think is plausible rather than deal honestly with the situation.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL GM / PC APM / SPG GM / GP PM
The thought that they may have "fixed" this "problem" on the 10th is interesting as, that is the exact weekend that they had the huge IT meltdown...
Old Dec 17, 2010, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL PM; Co Gold; PC Plat; Hhonors Silver
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Did this "glitch" extend back into 2009? People were getting both 2009 and 2010 benefits for going up to Plat last year, although they didn't initially give the 2009 benefits (6 SWUs) to many who qualified in December. The glitch explanation simply doesn't wash. They had plenty of time to fix it if it was a glitch.

I think that many times customer support just makes up an explanation that they think is plausible rather than deal honestly with the situation.

That is one hell of a long glitch!

DELTA's actions of awarding Choice Benefits (for the past year+) for the current and following years one a person achieved medallion status demonstrates their interpretation of their own rules: res ipsa loquitur!

The SkyMiles officials ought to do right and grant the 2010 benefits and publicly clarify that they are changing their interpretation of their own rules.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by domcharles
res ipsa loquitur
For those that don't know Latin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Res_ipsa_loquitur
Old Dec 17, 2010, 4:06 pm

Programs: Delta Ham Sammich, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold, Chalet Suites Matterhorn
Originally Posted by NYC101
I made Plat on Dec.1, haven't made my selection for the 10 choice benefits because I want the DL voucher to expire as late as possible... But am thinking I should just get it now in case Delta decides to take it away.
A good idea. As we say on FT - "in before the lock!"

Used up my 2010 P and D choice benefits, wondering if I had better use the 2011 ones immediately before they take them back or something.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by NYC101
I made Plat on Dec.1, haven't made my selection for the 10 choice benefits because I want the DL voucher to expire as late as possible... But am thinking I should just get it now in case Delta decides to take it away.
This was exactly my thinking when I finally picked benefits for both 2010 and 2011 a few days ago.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 4:44 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA Exec. Plat., HHonors Gold, Marriot Silver, Hertz Pres. Circle, Starwood Gold, etc.
Every now and then I run into a similar situation at work... I support a few different systems from various vendors. Some of these systems we've owned for years and have developed custom code and business processes around how we expect particular functions to behave. Unfortunately, sometimes this expected behavior is a programming glitch or undocumented feature of the vendor's system. As a result, our programs/processes can stop working when we test/implement vendor patches or upgrades. Since we were exploiting an undocumented "feature" of the product, our vendor is under no obligation to make us whole. Sometimes they choose to help us but that's just goodwill on their part.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 6:41 pm

i don't buy the 'glitch' thing for a second, this has been going on for way too long - is nobody paying attention at delta that it took this long to realize they were giving away 2010 and 2011 choices?? Not to mention it has been talked about MANY times here, and we all know people from delta read these forums.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Seabilly
This was exactly my thinking when I finally picked benefits for both 2010 and 2011 a few days ago.
Same here. I made Platinum late November, had been putting off selecting my 2010 benefit till I saw this thread and printed out my voucher!
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat.
This situation has truly taken all of the mild enjoyment I felt at having achieved Diamond status after a long, rough year of travel. E-mailing DL is like banging my head against a wall; I cut and past their actual previous written statements to me (e.g. "You will receive both 2010 and 2011 Diamond Choice Benefits") and then I look at subsequent canned responses where DL lays out the rules of the program, as they now see them (and perhaps they are the rules, but they are just now applying them and in the process taking a good chunk of the PM and DM group for a ride---great idea Delta, alienate your most profitable customer base).

I have not been on another carrier (that isn't at least a DL partner) of any kind for 12 years. I'd hate to think that a computer glitch would cause me to reconsider this. . . and it probably won't (too much invested now), but wow, what a crappy way to get "welcomed" in the DM world.

Whatever Delta. Just keep sending me those canned e-mails. . . nice touch.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
ugh! i had been waiting to select my PM gift. this whole "oops, we had a glitch but we fixed it" is garbage IMO.

i made PM in 2009, was sent a bunch of worthless (worthless to me) SWU instead of having a choice, then also received the ability to make a 2010 choice. i just made PM again for 2011-12 and was expecting another "double dip" for the effort instead of rolling over MQMs. probably not as much of an issue compared to other's comments here. just tossing out my perspective.

if only they would fix the stupid award booking engine instead of ticking off its loyal frequent flyers.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Blue Skye
ugh! i had been waiting to select my PM gift. this whole "oops, we had a glitch but we fixed it" is garbage IMO.

i made PM in 2009, was sent a bunch of worthless (worthless to me) SWU instead of having a choice, then also received the ability to make a 2010 choice. i just made PM again for 2011-12 and was expecting another "double dip" for the effort instead of rolling over MQMs. probably not as much of an issue compared to other's comments here. just tossing out my perspective.

if only they would fix the stupid award booking engine instead of ticking off its loyal frequent flyers.
Did you write SkyMiles and state your dissatisfaction?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.