Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATL gate agents refuse to put me on standby

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL gate agents refuse to put me on standby

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2010, 8:13 pm
Suspended

I have had many problems in the past getting on the standby list as a Gold Elite. Gate agents and ticket agents hem/haw about doing it. Most of the time they do it. Sometimes I have to ask for a supervisor or call the elite line.

It is usually more of a problem than it should be.

I agree that IRROPS passengers should get priority, but that is what the computer is for...it's not the gate agent's responsibility or call. They should just put the names on the standby list and let the computer figure it out. It is annoying when they say "no" because they have no right to say "no" when it is a published benefit.

https://www.delta.com/skymiles/about...avel/index.jsp

Last edited by JFKSFOLAX_friend; Dec 23, 2010 at 8:24 pm
Old Dec 23, 2010, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
they got me too

I was at the gate when the agent arrived to open up the flight which was the first flight from ATL to DCA on a Monday morning a few years ago. It was an hour before scheduled departure. When the gate information screen began operating I noticed I was not on the cleared list or the upgrade list. I was a platinum then and figured I had a fair chance of an upgrade. I inquired and the agent refused to put me on the upgrade list: "the upgrade list is closed".
There were about a dozen pax listed in the upgrade queue and just a few unassigned first class seats. I was tired and accepted my fate. I rode in coach. It was disappointing. I just wanted to be in the queue and let the computer program do its selection. Lazy agent I guess.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 10:36 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
While I am not arguing that ATL has lazy gate agents, I will provide an example of a time when I asked to be put on a standby list for an earlier flight:

Was flying LAX-JFK back in either January or February and the NY area got dumped on pretty heavily by snow which resulted in a bunch of cancellations. Long story short, I asked the gate agent if i could be put on standby for that flight, and I see him getting frustrated with the computer and finally he told me to look at the screen because he didn't believe that he was getting the same message. That message? "waitlist is closed. have passenger take original flight" or something like that. I have seen that happen a couple of times this year with heavy cancellations.

delta's IT strikes again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.