Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Absolutely bizarre situation in PHL tonight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Absolutely bizarre situation in PHL tonight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2010, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, Marriott Gold, National Executive
Unhappy Absolutely bizarre situation in PHL tonight

HI all,

I thought I'd share my experience tonight because I think it's just weird.

I was booked on DL3381 from PHL-DTW, connecting to DL2197 from DTW-MSP. There was also a direct flight PHL-MSP (DL5680). I attempted to use a Delta kiosk to change to the direct flight. Apparently it was cancelled while the change request was processing (after I chose the flight but before it came back with my new itin), which resulted in my being booked on a flight at 6:10AM the next morning and losing my original reservations. The counter agent and gate agent both tried to get me back on the original flights but the seats were already gone by that point. My best option was to take the 6:10AM the next day, so now I'm enjoying a glass of wine in the hotel bar. The other DL5680 passengers got vouchers because it was a mechanical issue, but I didn't, because I was never confirmed on the flight before it got cancelled.

It is what it is, at this point...I'm annoyed that what amounts to a computer issue resulted in my being out of pocket for a hotel room tonight. But, it could just as easily been a weather issue so I guess it's all the same in the end.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by cabingirl
HI all,

I thought I'd share my experience tonight because I think it's just weird.

I was booked on DL3381 from PHL-DTW, connecting to DL2197 from DTW-MSP. There was also a direct flight PHL-MSP (DL5680). I attempted to use a Delta kiosk to change to the direct flight. Apparently it was cancelled while the change request was processing (after I chose the flight but before it came back with my new itin), which resulted in my being booked on a flight at 6:10AM the next morning and losing my original reservations. The counter agent and gate agent both tried to get me back on the original flights but the seats were already gone by that point. My best option was to take the 6:10AM the next day, so now I'm enjoying a glass of wine in the hotel bar. The other DL5680 passengers got vouchers because it was a mechanical issue, but I didn't, because I was never confirmed on the flight before it got cancelled.

It is what it is, at this point...I'm annoyed that what amounts to a computer issue resulted in my being out of pocket for a hotel room tonight. But, it could just as easily been a weather issue so I guess it's all the same in the end.
With the weather issues the absolute SECOND a seat is open it is gone and MSP is exactly where the issue was. This is a case where I will never use a Kiosk; bad weather near a hub.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 8:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
Two bits of advise:

Have SC membership....they will confirm you so you don't lose the hotel.

Better: get AMEX trip insurance....10 bucks round trip.... you're covered.

Dave
Old Dec 12, 2010, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, Marriott Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by avidflyer
With the weather issues the absolute SECOND a seat is open it is gone and MSP is exactly where the issue was. This is a case where I will never use a Kiosk; bad weather near a hub.
Yes, true. But, MSP was fine weather-wise at that point, right? And the cancellation that screwed me up was mechanical, not weather.

I fully expected there to be residual effects from MSP closing on Saturday, but I thought all that would happen was I wouldn't have an option to switch to the flight I wanted.

Still, I take your point, and the counter agent said the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.