Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2010, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM 1MM
US Midwest weather waiver

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...er10/index.jsp

A cut / paste error, perhaps?

Winter Weather in the Midwest

Last Updated: December 10, 2010, 11am EST (-5 GMT)

Winter weather in Europe has impacted travel to, from, and through Amsterdam, Netherlands. Check flight status frequently for up-to-the-minute info about your flight plans, or get updates sent directly to your wireless device or email with Delta Messenger.
Perhaps someone at Delta could fix this US Midwest weather waiver text, as the waiver covers US states IA, MN, ND, SD and WI.

Local media in MSP says this event looks to be the largest snow event in MSP since the Halloween 1991 blizzard.

http://www.startribune.com/weather/b...n_Weather.html
Old Dec 10, 2010, 2:41 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by mnbp

A cut / paste error, perhaps?

Perhaps someone at Delta could fix this US Midwest weather waiver text, as the waiver covers US states IA, MN, ND, SD and WI.

Local media in MSP says this event looks to be the largest snow event in MSP since the Halloween 1991 blizzard.

http://www.startribune.com/weather/b...n_Weather.html
It's fixed -- who knows maybe someone at Delta.dumb pays attention to FT <lol>

But not the weather !

According to Weather Underground, MSP will get 9 to 13 inches of white stuff starting tonight (12/10).

Bob H
Old Dec 10, 2010, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL-PM, Small Luxury Hotels & Proud Member of TSA Disparager-Gold
Originally Posted by mnbp
What's funny about this statement is I lived, still do, in Mpls during that blizzard and it was never on anyone's radar (pun intended)
Old Dec 10, 2010, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I wonder how many flights will be delayes/cancelled tomorrow. Minneapolis is pretty good about handling horrible winter storms but my bet would be a lot of the regionals won't be flying tomorrow (Saabs, CRJ 50 seaters will be first to cancel is my guess). So happy my wife got home today otherwise it could have been a nightmare weekend.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM!
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
I wonder how many flights will be delayes/cancelled tomorrow. Minneapolis is pretty good about handling horrible winter storms but my bet would be a lot of the regionals won't be flying tomorrow (Saabs, CRJ 50 seaters will be first to cancel is my guess). So happy my wife got home today otherwise it could have been a nightmare weekend.
I was booked through MSP tomorrow on an RJ and already just went ahead and booked through ATL instead because of the waiver. Should be an interesting day of travel for everyone affected.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
These happen occasionally - typos in the home-page advisory, mis-labeled warnings, and 'less harsh' wording. I tinhk the rush is to put the advisory out, then tinker with the precise wording
Old Dec 10, 2010, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Click this link - it's still wrong:

Still says "Amsterdam" while the table says IA, MN, ND, SD and WI.....
Old Dec 10, 2010, 3:40 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
My beef with their Weather Waiver is that often they are slow to implement it, or hold off implementing it, causing undo disruption.

Just two weeks ago I was traveling from OMA-MSP-MKE knowing the day before my flight out of OMA that severe weather was going to cause problems in MSP. I called to see about re-routing through DTW because of the weather, but DL would have none of it. Yep, for $500 I could.

The next day--day of travel--the inbound flight was delayed sufficiently in MSP that it caused a misconnect in MSP for the flight to MKE just as I feared. I opted for staying the night in OMA and taking the next flight out in the morning. But, my extra day in OMA could have been avoided if I had been allowed to just take the DTW connection. But, the weather waiver was not issued until the day of severe weather, If you want to get ahead of the curve, you issue it the day before too.

Sometimes I think Delta just has a hard time making it easy.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 3:50 pm
Suspended

accuweather.com shows the MSP high on Sunday as -2. Ouch. Well, on the bright side, the high on Monday will be +2.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by travelingsalesgal
I was booked through MSP tomorrow on an RJ and already just went ahead and booked through ATL instead because of the waiver. Should be an interesting day of travel for everyone affected.
Really smart move if you were on an RJ flight. Airlines like to cancel the flights with the smallest equipment. In the summer when there is severe weather, the Saabs are the first to be cancelled, then the CRJs. Makes sense I guess to only inconvienence 30-50 instead of 125-250 though it does bite if you are in a smaller market and impacted.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 4:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
There's a Sun Country charter taking North Dakota State fans from MSP to FAR to GEG for the FCS quarterfinal game between NDSU and Eastern Washington. (Go Bison!) Was supposed to leave MSP early Saturday morning, but they pushed it up to 1730 CST today. They're overnighting the MSP pax in Fargo, then taking off from FAR as scheduled tomorrow morning, since FAR is supposed to avoid the worst of it. People who couldn't make the MSP-FAR segment have been advised to take Amtrak to Fargo overnight. Sounds like it's going to be an interesting day at MSP tomorrow.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 4:38 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
MSP weather

I've been doing ex-ORD since right around thanksgiving with some flights to/from MSP on my Saturday off to run to the HQ and stop at the mn home for a meager 10-12 hours before going off to more end of year wrap up meetings and 1K line refunded (to work though)my ORD-MSP-ORD (returning Sunday) flight and gave me a 250 ecert for being flexible. Didn't help that ICN is a mess and my OZ flight to SFO was 2.5 hours late.

Is DL being this courteous to Plats/Diamonds?
Old Dec 10, 2010, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
Really smart move if you were on an RJ flight. Airlines like to cancel the flights with the smallest equipment. In the summer when there is severe weather, the Saabs are the first to be cancelled, then the CRJs. Makes sense I guess to only inconvienence 30-50 instead of 125-250 though it does bite if you are in a smaller market and impacted.

They've already loaded a bunch of cancellations for 12/11. I got hit with an EMB-175 cancellation for tomorrow and rebooked via SLC.

The online rebooking engine offered the choices, but it errored out when selecting them, so I had to call.

Plat Desk was already backed up with a queue of about 5 minutes, so it's starting to hit them too...

Have fun!
Old Dec 10, 2010, 5:05 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold
Advice Needed

I'm hoping for some good advice from all the experts here-

I'm scheduled on a flight on Sunday morning, leaving Flint at 6:25 am, connecting through Minneapolis and arriving in San Diego at 11:03 am. I got the upgrade to first on the Minneapolis to San Diego leg.

I'm concerned about the weather in Minneapolis, so I'm thinking about switching to a flight that connects through Atlanta rather than Minneapolis. I contacted Delta and there are no seats left to assign on the flight, I'd have to wait and get my seat at the airport.

I'm not sure whether or not to switch right now. The flight I'm currently on gets me in earlier than I would get in with the new flight, which would be preferable but isn't mandatory for my schedule. I'd be giving up the upgrade, which I wouldn't mind if I knew I wouldn't get stuck in a middle seat from Atlanta to San Diego.

What do you think- is there a good chance that my flight on Sunday will end up cancelled anyway, so I should make the switch now, or should I take my chances and wait. Obviously, I know that no one here knows for sure what the weather will be and what will happen with the flights, just looking for some advice to help me make up my indecisive mind.

Thanks!
Old Dec 10, 2010, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My MSN-MSP is delayed 49 minutes at present. I'm worried that even if that flight departs and arrives as scheduled, the MSP-LAS flight will not arrive or depart or be delayed/canceled. Since this is only an overnight (I leave LAS at 11:25 tomorrow), do I have a chance of trip in vain, or will I just be able to reschedule with the weather waiver? I'm on hold with DL right now.

Added: I talked to an agent, and since my flight will still theoretically connect to the MSP-LAS flight, he only offered to book a next-day flight, which doesn't make any sense at all, since my return is tomorrow morning. The guy was totally unhelpful. I thought a weather waiver meant you could reschedule to another date entirely. Is it possible that the waiver isn't in effect yet?

Last edited by PaulMSN; Dec 10, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.