Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Carry-on questions re transiting through AMS to US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2015, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Haven't done this in a while but will be going from BRU through AMS to the US on KLM Cityhopper flight first and then a KLM/DL flight to the USA. Nowadays, the TSA seems to completely ignore my carrying toothpaste, and some liquids in or out of baggies and whether they exceed 3 oz or not. What is the situation in the EU now? Are they strict?

Also any info on how strict the carryon limits are? The CityHopper flight is a Fokker 70 - no experience with this plane or how strict they are with carry on size. Any recent info or help is much appreciated.
Old May 23, 2015, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Everything >100ml (3.3oz) and you run the risk of loosing it.

KLM is not that strict with the carryon limits if you don't overdo it you should be fine.
Old May 23, 2015, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Grouchy
Everything >100ml (3.3oz) and you run the risk of loosing it.

KLM is not that strict with the carryon limits if you don't overdo it you should be fine.
Thank you. Very helpful.
Old May 23, 2015, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just went through AMS last week and saw several people having to surrender their bottles of water/liquids when going through security. I wouldn't push it too far. If you buy any booze in the duty free store, make sure it is sealed in a bag.
Old May 23, 2015, 11:30 pm

Programs: FB Plat
Don't know about BRU but AMS security is not as strict wrt liquids and toiletries being in transparent bag. DUS for example has much stricter security in this respect so I personally experience quite some differences.
Make sure you have some change (1 euro) to purchase bags in case they ask you to pack toiletries in plastic bag. Bottles are a definite no at all airports in my experience.

If you have high elite+ status (plat or diamond) Klm staff will usually not make a fuzz about carry-on sizes but there are some exceptions. Fokker 70's practically almost do DAA's for trolleys and given the aircraft size, it works way better and faster then for example the MD-90's in delta stations. You just leave it when exiting the bus, and get it returned when exiting plane and before stepping onto the bus again.

What I always do (and recommend when you reluctant to check luggage) for few days trip:
- avoid all desks as much as possible and try to have boarding-pass in advance (just to make sure you don't run into the occasional "no you cannot" European mentality)
- don't have anything bigger than carry-on trolley and laptop bag (I regularly see pax with bigger garment bags in C class but that would be stretching limits imo)
- I wouldn't worry about weight as long as you don't overdo it
- Be friendly and always prepared to check bag whenever asked by the staff

Of course this works best with high elite+ status.
Old May 24, 2015, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Klmdwsq
Don't know about BRU but AMS security is not as strict wrt liquids and toiletries being in transparent bag. DUS for example has much stricter security in this respect so I personally experience quite some differences.
Make sure you have some change (1 euro) to purchase bags in case they ask you to pack toiletries in plastic bag. Bottles are a definite no at all airports in my experience.

If you have high elite+ status (plat or diamond) Klm staff will usually not make a fuzz about carry-on sizes but there are some exceptions. Fokker 70's practically almost do DAA's for trolleys and given the aircraft size, it works way better and faster then for example the MD-90's in delta stations. You just leave it when exiting the bus, and get it returned when exiting plane and before stepping onto the bus again.

What I always do (and recommend when you reluctant to check luggage) for few days trip:
- avoid all desks as much as possible and try to have boarding-pass in advance (just to make sure you don't run into the occasional "no you cannot" European mentality)
- don't have anything bigger than carry-on trolley and laptop bag (I regularly see pax with bigger garment bags in C class but that would be stretching limits imo)
- I wouldn't worry about weight as long as you don't overdo it
- Be friendly and always prepared to check bag whenever asked by the staff

Of course this works best with high elite+ status.
What are "DAA's"
Old May 24, 2015, 12:07 am

Programs: FB Plat
Drop At Aircraft...
Old May 24, 2015, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by flyerslc
Haven't done this in a while but will be going from BRU through AMS to the US on KLM Cityhopper flight first and then a KLM/DL flight to the USA. Nowadays, the TSA seems to completely ignore my carrying toothpaste, and some liquids in or out of baggies and whether they exceed 3 oz or not. What is the situation in the EU now? Are they strict? Also any info on how strict the carryon limits are? The CityHopper flight is a Fokker 70 - no experience with this plane or how strict they are with carry on size. Any recent info or help is much appreciated.
I have done a BRU/AMS/US connection several times this year. The small plane leaves from a normal gate at BRU and large carryon bags are "gate checked" at the door of the aircraft. As indicated, these planes usually park at AMS in "remote stands" near the B-gates and you pick up the bag at the bottom of the stairs before being bussed to the central drop off point.

After the drop off you have to go upstairs and cross the customs and then go to the departure gate. The bag security is done at the gate. Even though you have to pull everything out of your bag at the x-ray machine (now including power supplies and wires), I have never had any problems.

DL allows 60 min connections through AMS which means you have to scramble if you come in on a commuter and have to go through passport inspection. EU passports tend to have shorter lines and they have a Short-Connection line at passport control. Note that it is a long walk after you wait for everyone to get off the plane and get onto the bus. It helps if you know the airport layout and walk directly to passport control and then the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.