Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: Upgrading on Alaska Airlines as a Delta elite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 16, 2013, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
If a Delta Gold or higher you are eligible for upgrades on most AS Flights.

DL does not upgrade AS elites to Hawaii, therefore AS does not upgrade DL elites to Hawaii.

Be sure to check your PNR on alaskaair.com for seat assignments. A quick call to AS with flight # and date can yield the AS PNR. Sometimes it takes 24 hours for this info to come from DL though. Your reservation should show First Class waitlisted if it has been requested.

Upgrades on AS are after AS elites are upgraded, and although happen at T-24, can happen up to a full day earlier (T-48).

There are no complimentary upgrades on award tickets operated by Alaska.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated: Upgrading on Alaska Airlines as a Delta elite

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Kwaj boy
^^^
Big question... is DL already getting that much of a premium out of the West Coast market that having no upgradable seats makes sense... Granted upgrades on AS to Hawaii are becoming more difficult it seems as the market matures.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Update:
Basically the same scenario in both directions --

- Called the day before to ask about how upgrades work...Both phone agents were convinced that I was eligible for upgrades. Both agents told me that there were lots of seats available and that the upgrade was a certain possibility, but that no seats were available for upgrade at that time.

- Arrive at the airport. Both TAs tell me that I am eligible for upgrades... On the outbound the agent said that there were some seats available, but that they first offer them at the kiosk during check-in. She told me to check with her at the gate, and that if the seats were still available that she'd give them to us. On the return, we are told that F is full of "paid F" (which seems unlikely given the notice of "many available seats" just 18 hours earlier).

The one twist was that on the return flight, the GA at OGG told me that DL elites were NOT eligible for upgrades on the HI routes. Due to her location, I tend to believe that she knows what's up, and the others just didn't know the policy.

Regardless, no luck on getting upgrades in either direction on OAK-OGG or OGG-OAK.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA ExecP
Originally Posted by GBadger
Update:
Basically the same scenario in both directions --

- Called the day before to ask about how upgrades work...Both phone agents were convinced that I was eligible for upgrades. Both agents told me that there were lots of seats available and that the upgrade was a certain possibility, but that no seats were available for upgrade at that time.....
This is pretty much the same chain of events I ran into. I was lucky and got a nice GA who was willing to put me up front with the one other paying F pax. You piqued my interest - I went back and looked at my class Paid/Flown, and they were both the same. So...I wonder if I was ever put into an upgrade bucket. She did issue me a FC BP - I'll have to dig it up and see what it says.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 6:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH something, Bonvoy can't remember
I'm definitely grateful to the OP for putting this together. It's amazing how inconsistent AS is in implementing this program. To me it's almost not worth the effort since most of my AS flights are relatively short hops.

I flew today and my DL plat number was on file. There were 3 empty seats in first class and apparently I didn't follow the rules correctly because I wasn't sitting up there.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
I flew AS from PHX-SEA and SEA-LAX back in December and bought my tickets on Delta.com. Both showed "Upgrade Available". I was able to select the seats in F and check-in was smooth and I checked 1 bag for free (probably could have checked 2). I have noticed quite a few "Upgrade Available" on AS Metal inside the 5 day PM window.....from my experience, they gave me the F seat (purchased 3-4 days out) and didn't take it away. I thought DL elites couldn't get upgraded until Check-In on AS after all AS elites so I am pretty surprised by this....I definitely didn't purchase a Y ticket either.
What did you think of the AS F product?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, DL PM, Marriott Gold, HIlton Gold
Thanks for all the info. I am still not sure why DL web site would show as upgrade requested after OLCI when this was not true. Unless I read this board, how would anyone know to go thru this complicated drill to try for an upgrade. I also assume that once I complete an OLCI with DL I cannot do the same on Alaska even using their booking number.

Regardless, poor customer service by DL. Waiting to see what they say to my query. I see someone recieved 7500 miles based on their comment. Just wonder eacatly what good the miles are with what DL wants to fly using miles. Getting out of hand unless you just luck out.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 8:34 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
I had a DL schedule change and was rerouted on my first flight via SEA on a DL code share actually operated by Horizon rather than DL via SLC.

I am guessing that I am paying for my bags now even though this is a DL flight number...?

Also, if I am in First Class (on DL) for the rest of the itinerary, but the first flight is Horizon Air (one-class service of course)... what then for bags?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by SamuelS
I had a DL schedule change and was rerouted on my first flight via SEA on a DL code share actually operated by Horizon rather than DL via SLC.

I am guessing that I am paying for my bags now even though this is a DL flight number...?

Also, if I am in First Class (on DL) for the rest of the itinerary, but the first flight is Horizon Air (one-class service of course)... what then for bags?
Technically you will pay for bags if the first flight is operated by QX/AS. It doesn't matter if you're in first class on DL or if it's booked as a DL flight number. You can probably talk an agent into waiving the fee but that's only a slim chance.

If you're connecting to an international destination on DL then you will not pay a baggage fee.

-RM
Old Feb 10, 2011, 9:35 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
...It doesn't matter if you're in first class on DL or if it's booked as a DL flight number. You can probably talk an agent into waiving the fee but that's only a slim chance...
OUCH! That really IS lame! I can only hope that the 'partnership' DL touts with AS improves in this regard.

Thanks for the heads up on this.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:18 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I have posted a thread on here about my struggles getting Alaska to recognize my platinum status. Unfortunately, Alaska's IT system still does not see me as a Platinum, even after emails to Kevin Pinto and multiple emails to Alaska.

However, surprisingly, I am 2/3 so far this year for Alaska upgrades. Last night SEA-OAK, I got upgraded at check-in after showing my Platinum card to a Ticketing agent. She was actually surprised it automatically upgraded me and thought it was a mistake. She thought I was only supposed to be placed on the upgrade list. She went to get a supervisor who informed her that it was ok, DL Platinum's are ok to be upgraded automatically.

My first upgrade was OAK-SEA a few weeks earlier. At checkin the agent told me first class was checked in full, but he would put me on the standby list. After I took my coach seat, and right before the door closed, the GA came on board and handed me a new BP for first class... no complaints moving up!

^
Old Feb 15, 2011, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
Thanks for the informative posts!

I just booked EWR-SEA for Easter weekend and am keeping my fingers crossed (And DL, for similar flight times was about $150 more... hm)...

If I keep the flight, I will report success... though I am not holding my breath seeing how the transcons are some of the most difficult flights to upgrade on...
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by ryandc99
I have posted a thread on here about my struggles getting Alaska to recognize my platinum status. Unfortunately, Alaska's IT system still does not see me as a Platinum, even after emails to Kevin Pinto and multiple emails to Alaska.

However, surprisingly, I am 2/3 so far this year for Alaska upgrades. Last night SEA-OAK, I got upgraded at check-in after showing my Platinum card to a Ticketing agent. She was actually surprised it automatically upgraded me and thought it was a mistake. She thought I was only supposed to be placed on the upgrade list. She went to get a supervisor who informed her that it was ok, DL Platinum's are ok to be upgraded automatically.

My first upgrade was OAK-SEA a few weeks earlier. At checkin the agent told me first class was checked in full, but he would put me on the standby list. After I took my coach seat, and right before the door closed, the GA came on board and handed me a new BP for first class... no complaints moving up!

^
Nice. I have been doing SEA-OAK on AS almost monthly and I'm almost always upgraded. I just wait for F>0 at 24 hours and do OLCI. If F is zeroed out I set an alert in ExpertFlyer and it has yet to fail me. As soon as the email comes in I OLCI and life is good. I think I only missed one upgraded last year between SEA & OAK.

I even got the SEA-LAX upgrade last week on AS.

-RM
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by goodandclassy
Thanks for the informative posts!

I just booked EWR-SEA for Easter weekend and am keeping my fingers crossed (And DL, for similar flight times was about $150 more... hm)...

If I keep the flight, I will report success... though I am not holding my breath seeing how the transcons are some of the most difficult flights to upgrade on...
EWR and DCA are two of the most difficult routes- so good luck- and if in aft, the buy on board Northern Bites meals are quite edible
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
I was able to successfully upgrade my PDX-PHX flight last week on AS. When I booked the flight, EF was showing V=2 for the DL codeshare flight number 48 hrs. prior to departure. However, the DL agent couldn't confirm the upgrade. And my itinerary on dl.com showed the segment as "requested." Also, I was unable to even select a seat in Y.

I called AS and got their RL for my reservation. Armed with that, I did OLCI on their website, making sure that my DL Gold status was reflected in the reservation. During the check-in process, which I did about 12hrs. prior to departure, I saw a link about upgrading. Clicked on it and was immediately upgraded, even though U inventory was 0 before I started the process! So, all's well that ends well.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
It may have been covered here but I didn't see...if I'm on a flight with two legs on AS (LAX-PDX-ANC and back), does the T-24 rule apply to the first leg and, if so, assuming U inventory was available on both the LAX-PDX and PDX-ANC legs, would I be able to upgrade via OLCI for both at that time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.