Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: Upgrading on Alaska Airlines as a Delta elite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 16, 2013, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
If a Delta Gold or higher you are eligible for upgrades on most AS Flights.

DL does not upgrade AS elites to Hawaii, therefore AS does not upgrade DL elites to Hawaii.

Be sure to check your PNR on alaskaair.com for seat assignments. A quick call to AS with flight # and date can yield the AS PNR. Sometimes it takes 24 hours for this info to come from DL though. Your reservation should show First Class waitlisted if it has been requested.

Upgrades on AS are after AS elites are upgraded, and although happen at T-24, can happen up to a full day earlier (T-48).

There are no complimentary upgrades on award tickets operated by Alaska.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:09 pm

Programs: Some

This thread provides a lot of useful info regarding DL elite upgrades on AS flights.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
AS upgrades for DL elites: Any recent success to Hawaii?

I know that there are threads on AS upgrades for SkyMiles GM, PM and DM already, but I feel as though this is specific enough to warrant another thread--

When upgrades were first made available, I remember some saying that they were successfully updated on AS's Hawaii routes. Is this still the case? Or have they shut this down?

I'm flying OAK-OGG and back soon and am wondering if there's any possibility of getting upgraded on that route.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:03 pm

I cleared at the gate on SEA-HNL about a month ago when crediting the flight to DL. I'm not sure if anything has changed since, especially with the new year.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, AS MVPG, Hyatt DIA, PC PLAT, Club Carl Gold, HH Gold, Accor Dia
1/2 trying for the upgrade going SJC-OGG in late Nov

SJC AS agent upgraded me for the asking at check-in. Once I got the upgrade bags fly free.

OGG no seats available at check-in, 2 no-shows so gate agent would have, but then dbl checked her computer and showed me "Hawaii upgrades not eligible for DL elites". Then asked if I wanted to pay $100 or 15,000 AS miles.

From the Bay Area AS only charges $100 to upgrade (just under the 2500 miles threshold ). It really comes down to if you get a friendly check-in agent and if you are willing to sit in coach if they decline and other have already purchased the $100 option during OLCI (opens 24 hrs out I believe).

In hindsight I think $100 to confirm an upgrade on these routes at OLCI is a steal. In "F" I got: Eggs Benedict breakfast (value to me $15), Free Checked Bag ($20), DigePlayer ($12), 2 Cocktails ($14), Bigger Seat ($40). Easily worth $100 maybe even $101
Old Jan 25, 2011, 1:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by OLYflyer
SJC AS agent upgraded me for the asking at check-in. Once I got the upgrade bags fly free.

OGG no seats available at check-in, 2 no-shows so gate agent would have, but then dbl checked her computer and showed me "Hawaii upgrades not eligible for DL elites". Then asked if I wanted to pay $100 or 15,000 AS miles.

From the Bay Area AS only charges $100 to upgrade (just under the 2500 miles threshold ). It really comes down to if you get a friendly check-in agent and if you are willing to sit in coach if they decline and other have already purchased the $100 option during OLCI (opens 24 hrs out I believe).

In hindsight I think $100 to confirm an upgrade on these routes at OLCI is a steal. In "F" I got: Eggs Benedict breakfast (value to me $15), Free Checked Bag ($20), DigePlayer ($12), 2 Cocktails ($14), Bigger Seat ($40). Easily worth $100 maybe even $101
Per AS, the agent in OGG was correct in that Upgrades to Hawaii are not permitted to DL elites. DL doesn't upgrade AS elites to AS, so why would AS upgrade DL elites to Hawaii. I can understand if DL offered a nicer product, but from the West Coast, IMO AS offers a better experience in whY, and more then likely in F as well... Glad you enjoyed your experience... its why I'm hopelessly addicted to AS
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by beckoa
DL doesn't upgrade AS elites to AS, so why would AS upgrade DL elites to Hawaii.
I can't, for the life of me, think of a good reason for AS and DL to make this so complicated. Seems like it'd be much simpler for EVERYONE involved if they would just say, we'll upgrade your elites on routes that we offer upgrades on, if you'll upgrade our elites on routes that you offer upgrades on. The odds are generally small anyway... Why add additional restrictions like this?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:18 am

Thanks for the info guys. If any other reports come in, please fill me in. I'll post what happens with us when flying this coming weekend.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by GBadger
I can't, for the life of me, think of a good reason for AS and DL to make this so complicated. Seems like it'd be much simpler for EVERYONE involved if they would just say, we'll upgrade your elites on routes that we offer upgrades on, if you'll upgrade our elites on routes that you offer upgrades on. The odds are generally small anyway... Why add additional restrictions like this?
The real winning move would be for Delta to join American, United, Continental and Alaska in allowing complimentary upgrades to Hawaii from SLC/West Coast. Since these are domestic F seats, nothing special about the service and there are longer flights in the Continental US than these, it makes no sense to me why we can't upgrade on them.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:31 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by mersk862
The real winning move would be for Delta to join American, United, Continental and Alaska in allowing complimentary upgrades to Hawaii from SLC/West Coast. Since these are domestic F seats, nothing special about the service and there are longer flights in the Continental US than these, it makes no sense to me why we can't upgrade on them.
Exactly ^

Seems ridiculous to not offer upgrades on the Hawaii routes when everyone else is doing it unless you are offering BE service, which is not the case here.

If AS allows upgrades for DL elites, and then DL will lose business from their elites who will fly on AS instead for a shot at an upgrade rather than flying on DL knowing they have no chance at a complimentary upgrade... I'd bet here that DL is the one that requested AS to exclude complimentary upgrades for DL elites on the Hawaii flights.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:33 am

Programs: AA ExecP
I received an SAN-OGG U/G a few months ago as a DM. Agent at the check in kiosk wasn't aware of the rules, and called the GA who re-read, and said DL Elites weren't eligible.

After they tried to sell UGs at the gate, no one bit. The GA called me up and said "we read something else in the rules, and we're going to UG you anyways"...was a nice suprise/gift, but I know she bent the rules.

There is another thread discussing this somewhere.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by golfingboy
If AS allows upgrades for DL elites, and then DL will lose business from their elites who will fly on AS instead for a shot at an upgrade rather than flying on DL knowing they have no chance at a complimentary upgrade... I'd bet here that DL is the one that requested AS to exclude complimentary upgrades for DL elites on the Hawaii flights.
I don't doubt that this is true, but to be honest -- DL offers non-stop service to OGG from LAX only, AFAIK. Everything else is either AS or HA codeshare. It's crazy to think that I'm going to fly SFO-LAX-OGG (arriving at 9:10 PM, I may add), when I can go OAK-OGG direct and arrive at 11AM.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by GBadger
I don't doubt that this is true, but to be honest -- DL offers non-stop service to OGG from LAX only, AFAIK. Everything else is either AS or HA codeshare. It's crazy to think that I'm going to fly SFO-LAX-OGG (arriving at 9:10 PM, I may add), when I can go OAK-OGG direct and arrive at 11AM.
For those of us in other cities though, having options to route over can be beneficial. From MSP, I can get to pretty much any city that AS flies to Hawaii from on a nonstop from here. If I could upgrade on AS (but can't on Delta), it'd be a no-brainer to take Delta to the West Coast and hop on AS there instead of taking Delta from SLC/LAX/SFO/SEA.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 1:50 pm

For those of us in other cities though, having options to route over can be beneficial. From MSP, I can get to pretty much any city that AS flies to Hawaii from on a nonstop from here. If I could upgrade on AS (but can't on Delta), it'd be a no-brainer to take Delta to the West Coast and hop on AS there instead of taking Delta from SLC/LAX/SFO/SEA.
I guess my point of view is narrowly constrained to OGG... DL flies LAX-OGG. That's it. AS flies OAK-OGG, SEA-OGG, PDX-OGG, SMF-OGG, SAN-OGG. Those are all offered as DL codeshares. DL gets some profit from these, correct? Wouldn't DL rather have you take one of those flights than a flight on another carrier?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:09 am

Well, just checked-in. No upgrade options during the check-in process. This is one time when I wish I WAS dealing with DL IT .

I did get a message about the flight being oversold. We'll see what happens!
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:27 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.