Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: Upgrading on Alaska Airlines as a Delta elite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 16, 2013, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
If a Delta Gold or higher you are eligible for upgrades on most AS Flights.

DL does not upgrade AS elites to Hawaii, therefore AS does not upgrade DL elites to Hawaii.

Be sure to check your PNR on alaskaair.com for seat assignments. A quick call to AS with flight # and date can yield the AS PNR. Sometimes it takes 24 hours for this info to come from DL though. Your reservation should show First Class waitlisted if it has been requested.

Upgrades on AS are after AS elites are upgraded, and although happen at T-24, can happen up to a full day earlier (T-48).

There are no complimentary upgrades on award tickets operated by Alaska.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated: Upgrading on Alaska Airlines as a Delta elite

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2010, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Originally Posted by GBadger
Well, I'll be... When I check my wife's reservation, it shows "DL-elite" next to her number. Mine says no such thing... Time for a call to AS, I guess.
I'm having a similar situation with my spouse. She and I have a few AS trips coming up in January and February. She is Gold and I am Plat. My status is showing DL Elite and hers isn't showing any status. I had to call AS for something else and I inquired about this issue with the res agent, who also confirmed that my elite status was showing and hers was not. She tried taking out and then re-inserting the number, but it didn't make any difference. She advised us to show the card at the airport, but that's not ideal since we'll have a good shot at upgrading during OLCI. I'd prefer to lock in the upgrade as early as possible. She's had gold since September and we made these bookings in the last couple weeks, so it's not a matter of waiting for a new status to reflect.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this? Should I call Delta?

My conversation with the res agent raised one other issue that I haven't seen addressed in this thread. Are DL elites supposed to get an upgrade at booking on a full 'Y' fare on AS? The agent commented that the incorrect status would've been more of an issue if we were trying to upgrade a full fare ticket. We will likely be traveling SEA-DCA on government Y fares in February and it would be nice to upgrade at the time of booking.

Thanks for putting this thread up BenA. Good idea.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 5:19 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by GBadger
Well, I'll be... When I check my wife's reservation, it shows "DL-elite" next to her number. Mine says no such thing... Time for a call to AS, I guess.
FWIW, my wife and I are in the same situation. She shows up correctly, I never do. I've called AS on this many times, and they claim it's DL's problem---my number is very clearly in there. Of course, DL recognizes me just fine...

Let me know if you learn what the issue is. My suspicion, based upon the fact that my wife's SkyMiles account does not have a middle name/initial listed and mine does, is that there's some discrepancy in the name matching logic with middle names.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TropicalTripper
I'm having a similar situation with my spouse.
Originally Posted by Erasmus
FWIW, my wife and I are in the same situation.
Glad to see that I'm not the only one with this problem. I'll let you know if I make any progress with the AS agents on this, but based on your posts my thought is that I won't. Very unfortunate.

In our situation, the GM (Mrs. GBadger) is showing up without any issue. The DM (well, soon to be DM, me) is not showing any status. It's likely that I won't yet have my DM card by the time we leave... Just my PM card. We're in separate AS reservations (not sure why, but that's how it was booked by the DL end...).

Maybe someone at DL can comment about this?
Old Dec 11, 2010, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
I haven't had a problem getting elite access to the security lines as a DL Elite on AS flights in the bay area or Seattle. I fly that route twice a month.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Are upgrades at AS being confirmed at booking now???

So, I was just looking at some flights this coming Friday and one option was a DL flight that connects to an AS flight. Both flights show as "Upgrade Available". I was under the impression that we (DL elites) clear after all AS elites which would mean that I shouldn't be able to be confirmed in F until OLCI or check-in. If this is a new benefit, I am very happy and a lot more upbeat about the AS/DL relationship. Seemed to be very one-sided with AS elites seeing many more benefits on DL than DL elites are seeing on AS. Anyone else ever seen this?
Old Dec 12, 2010, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
That's most likely a DL IT bug. AS won't confirm upgrades for DL elites until 24 hours or sooner before a flight when you do OLCI or check-in at an airport.

By chance is it a Full Y fare you're looking at? You could always purchase it, see if the upgrade goes through and sticks and then cancel the reservation and get a refund within 24 hours But my guess is the upgrade won't stick.

-RM
Old Dec 12, 2010, 1:46 pm

It is an H fare and it is a codeshared flight (DL7670/AS460) from SEA-LAX on Friday so not sure why it would be instantly upgradeable. Just thought it was interesting to see "Upgrade Available" on a flight on AS metal. Kind of tempted to book it since it isn't much more than my other flight options.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 1:48 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily

Last edited by aubreyfromwheaton; Dec 12, 2010 at 1:59 pm Reason: .....
Old Dec 12, 2010, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
NICE!

I saw this thread and did not even read through it...went right on line and booked a LAX-SEA trip and BINGO..FC. FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 12, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL:DM;DL Reserve; LT Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
So, I was just looking at some flights this coming Friday and one option was a DL flight that connects to an AS flight. Both flights show as "Upgrade Available". I was under the impression that we (DL elites) clear after all AS elites which would mean that I shouldn't be able to be confirmed in F until OLCI or check-in. If this is a new benefit, I am very happy and a lot more upbeat about the AS/DL relationship. Seemed to be very one-sided with AS elites seeing many more benefits on DL than DL elites are seeing on AS. Anyone else ever seen this?
I got bit by this bug on the trip I'm currently on. Was on a DL codeshare on AS metal, and it said upgrade available. Not so, I was put on the list at the airport behind all the AS MVPs and sat in the back. Not even in the seat that DL had let me select.

Just thought I would warn you.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by jrp2
I got bit by this bug on the trip I'm currently on. Was on a DL codeshare on AS metal, and it said upgrade available. Not so, I was put on the list at the airport behind all the AS MVPs and sat in the back. Not even in the seat that DL had let me select.

Just thought I would warn you.
I have 1C for a LAX-SEA flight tomorrow so I will let you know how it goes at the AP. I just booked it a few hours ago.

BTW, did you book inside or outside the window?
Old Dec 12, 2010, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by avidflyer
I have 1C for a LAX-SEA flight tomorrow so I will let you know how it goes at the AP. I just booked it a few hours ago.

BTW, did you book inside or outside the window?
Please let me know as well as I am booked on SEA-LAX on Friday and have seat 2C. Obviously Friday is now inside our window (PMs and DMs) so I would hope it sticks. Excited to try out AS, if they are going to let me select a seat and then throw me back in coach, I will cancel the ticket and fly DL through SLC.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 3:05 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
I wish AS would get their information straight regarding DL upgrades. Just spoke to a representative that checked with her "operations supervisor" whom insisted that there are absolutely NO upgrades for Delta Medallions. I said that this was not correct but she was adamant. I will speak to the GA at the airport I guess.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by skip1421
Do you have to ask for domestic upgrades on alaska as a DM or is it done automatic?
When you check in online, they ask if you want an upgrade and a link is provided that you have to click. It is not automatic but it is pretty easy.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 3:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Erasmus
Why do you care? The DL elites are at the very bottom of the list, so it's not like it's taking anything away from you. And DL doesn't upgrade DL elite to Hawaii, either, so you're not being in anyway disrespected by DL. I don't understand what's wrong with AS and DL having different upgrade policies---book the metal you want with knowledge of the policy of each.
Originally Posted by philfna
Beckoa no disrespect, but that seems a bit malicious to think that way. Erasmus is right DL elites are upgraded after all AS elites so why should it matter?
no worries... but a bit of my logic... I do travel to Hawaii frequently on AS, 5x this year with another trip in Jan... and do so with companions often. And its often on a companion certificate so AS can't split the PNR, and give the upgrade to one pax, its both or none... so if there is only one upgradeable seat left, then it could go to an MVP or DL elite before AS opens up more space... just an issue I encountered ANC-SEA a couple weeks ago where my companion and myself were leapfrogged. So I guess its more of an AS issue... but unless AS elites get upgrades to Hawaii on DL... don't think we need to reciprocate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.