Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Award ticket in name of another person?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2010, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Hilton

I'm trying to figure out if I can use my Skymiles to book an award ticket in the name of someone else? It's a little confusing because it does say the following:

Award Transfer

Miles may be redeemed for Award Tickets in the name of passengers other than the SkyMiles member, but Award Tickets are nontransferable once issued. Members are prohibited from selling or bartering Award Tickets.

It doesn't say that I must transfer my miles to another Skymiles member in order for that ticket to be issued to someone else or that the other person has to be a Skymiles member? If it says "Award Transfer", I assume that is the case but it's doesn't spell that out.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 10:52 am

Programs: Delta 1MM/DM, *wood Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jeromyers
I'm trying to figure out if I can use my Skymiles to book an award ticket in the name of someone else? It's a little confusing because it does say the following:

Award Transfer

Miles may be redeemed for Award Tickets in the name of passengers other than the SkyMiles member, but Award Tickets are nontransferable once issued. Members are prohibited from selling or bartering Award Tickets.

It doesn't say that I must transfer my miles to another Skymiles member in order for that ticket to be issued to someone else or that the other person has to be a Skymiles member? If it says "Award Transfer", I assume that is the case but it's doesn't spell that out.
There is no need to transfer the miles to the other person. You just buy a ticket with miles and enter their name when buying the ticket. They do not need to be skymiles members.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA; Delta; US Air; BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by syd999
There is no need to transfer the miles to the other person. You just buy a ticket with miles and enter their name when buying the ticket. They do not need to be skymiles members.
Very easy to do, I "bought" my nephew a free ticket using some of my vast hoard (but getting smaller) of SkyPesos and he got an e-mail with the ticket info. He was not a SkyMiles Member. The ticket redemption showed up in my activity log. Just make sure you get their name spelled correctly.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:18 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by jeromyers

Award Transfer

As stated, no need to transfer miles. Just book and when it asks for the name, enter his/her name. You will also need their birthdate in order to book.

Note that once you have the ticket issued and the miles deducted from your account, you can't then try to transfer the award to someone else.

Note too that you need the exact legal name as on their government-issued ID. Please don't assume what their name is. You may know him as James Smith but his legal name could be Steven James Smith and he just goes by James. Happens ALL the time.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Hilton
Much thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2010, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
You select the ticket you want, and you change the name from that in the SM account to the desired name when booking.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 8:08 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by N639DL
You select the ticket you want, and you change the name from that in the SM account to the desired name when booking.
This is incorrect.

OP, be sure not to click "I am Traveling" when booking.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 9:13 am

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by N639DL
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
This is incorrect.

OP, be sure not to click "I am Traveling" when booking.
What is incorrect about his instructions? That's the way I do it when I'm booking an award ticket for someone else.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 9:19 am
Suspended

If you could only book an award ticket for yourself, there would be only 8 Flyertalkers total and the rest of us would have to find something else to obsess about.

Last edited by dream7; Dec 5, 2010 at 9:46 am
Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:38 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by flymonthly
What is incorrect about his instructions? That's the way I do it when I'm booking an award ticket for someone else.
He implied that the name in the booking simply could be changed. That is incorrect.

If I Am Traveling is checked the system populates the ticket name fields with the FF's info and it cannot be changed.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 1:48 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
He implied that the name in the booking simply could be changed. That is incorrect.

If I Am Traveling is checked the system populates the ticket name fields with the FF's info and it cannot be changed.
If you want to remind the OP not to check the "I am traveling" box, that's fine. But N639DL should be "furiated" that you're saying he is incorrect when he's not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.