Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:05 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by sleuth
Other than Delta purposely blocking the nonstop ORD-ICN, why isn’t it showing? Don’t tell me married segment logic because I’ve successfully had a highly skilled Delta agent fight their system to build a KE award segment by segment. Even they were frustrated by the experience.
It may not be all DL. For quite a few years it was, it would appear at least, KE blocking KE51/52 and 53/54 flights (HNL-ICN, both of the daily flights) availability to other SkyTeam airlines, including Delta. Only KE1/2 (HNL-NRT) was available (but then as that was the only flight available, DL blocked KE to KE connections at NRT). Now it has come back just recently, but very rarely.

So for specific flight blocking, and other KE blocking (like Fri-Sun flights that are often all blocked out across the board all 331 days up, with only Mon-Thu available - on certain routes), it is not necessarily DL and could be KE.

The routing rules is clearly DL, but the specific flight blocking (if direct flight search shows nothing) could be - and likely is - KE. Only way to really know is check availability via other ST airlines.. 2X and 1O per flight (ever) KE is very firm on SkyTeam and all partners wide. Only SkyPass members get greater availability than that.

KE blackout dates also is all DL blocking, however, and not KE. Those flights are wide open to DL.

But specific flight blocking, and possibly also day of week (Fri-Sun) blocking, I do believe could be KE.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:47 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by RealHJ
It may not be all DL. For quite a few years it was, it would appear at least, KE blocking KE51/52 and 53/54 flights (HNL-ICN, both of the daily flights) availability to other SkyTeam airlines, including Delta. Only KE1/2 (HNL-NRT) was available (but then as that was the only flight available, DL blocked KE to KE connections at NRT). Now it has come back just recently, but very rarely.

So for specific flight blocking, and other KE blocking (like Fri-Sun flights that are often all blocked out across the board all 331 days up, with only Mon-Thu available - on certain routes), it is not necessarily DL and could be KE.

The routing rules is clearly DL, but the specific flight blocking (if direct flight search shows nothing) could be - and likely is - KE. Only way to really know is check availability via other ST airlines.. 2X and 1O per flight (ever) KE is very firm on SkyTeam and all partners wide. Only SkyPass members get greater availability than that.

KE blackout dates also is all DL blocking, however, and not KE. Those flights are wide open to DL.

But specific flight blocking, and possibly also day of week (Fri-Sun) blocking, I do believe could be KE.
ORD-ICN-BKK is available in business class on both the AF and AS websites. ORD-ICN is only available on Delta.com. It will not show a connection beyond ICN to BKK if wanting the nonstop KE flight.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by sleuth
ORD-ICN-BKK is available in business class on both the AF and AS websites. ORD-ICN is only available on Delta.com. It will not show a connection beyond ICN to BKK if wanting the nonstop KE flight.
Then here it is DL, yes. Just the dirty trick of not allowing pax to book logical and legal connections.

It would be possibly KE blocking it if ORD-ICN wasn't available to DL (and other ST airlines), ever, in any shape or form. That has happened on some routes, but apparently not ORD-ICN.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by robert4travels
So my experience, and several other people on this topic, is that if the flight you want is not shown on the companion booking page, but you can find the flight you want when you do a dummy regular booking (for money), for the fare classes that you can book a companion ticket for (L class and lower, I think it's LUTV fare classes), then you can call Delta reservations, and they can connect you with the companion ticket help desk who then can book the flight for you. This worked for me.

It's anybody's guess if the fare classes you need are still available next month when your companion certificate drops, and if the price holds, but given that the flights you want are 3-4 months out and not in a holiday weekend, at least the fare classes that you can book a companion ticket for should still be available.
I'm having this issue trying to book tickets for August, literally no availability for 2 weeks when there are plenty of Economy seats for around $400. I'd like to follow the advice and search for just the LUTV classes, but I have no idea how to do that. Where do I start?
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Originally Posted by jakers3200
I'm having this issue trying to book tickets for August, literally no availability for 2 weeks when there are plenty of Economy seats for around $400. I'd like to follow the advice and search for just the LUTV classes, but I have no idea how to do that. Where do I start?
Just log into the Delta website and go to "Book Flight." then go to "Advanced Search" and click on Main Cabin, enter your origin and destination, and dates. The display will show all coach fares available and look for LUTXV fares, for two people. These are the fares that
work with the companion certs. Bonne chance.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:00 pm

Thanks! Do you know if there is any way to search by fare class? Otherwise I’ll go the trial & error approach when I’m holding neither baby nor toddler.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: DL Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by jakers3200
Thanks! Do you know if there is any way to search by fare class? Otherwise I’ll go the trial & error approach when I’m holding neither baby nor toddler.
No there isn't, but it is not hard. Just choose "Basic Economy" as "Best Fares For", then check the fares that show up under "Main Cabin". The small letter between brackets next to "Main" (for example "Main (L)" or "Main (Q)" ) is the fare class you are looking for. If the fare class is LUV or T then that flight can be used for a companion ticket.

Good luck!
jakers3200 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
No there isn't, but it is not hard. Just choose "Basic Economy" as "Best Fares For", then check the fares that show up under "Main Cabin". The small letter between brackets next to "Main" (for example "Main (L)" or "Main (Q)" ) is the fare class you are looking for. If the fare class is LUV or T then that flight can be used for a companion ticket.

Good luck!
And "X" also.
jakers3200 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: DL PM
I have never had difficulty using the cert.

Just booked flight to Boston for July 1.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:23 am

Good luck!
i never did go any further. Instead, since my infant hates driving and we’re going to Rhode Island, I decided it would be wiser to change planes and fly into providence. Much better availability there, booked the flight with toddler companion, plus a separate award ticket for my wife. Saved about $400, so looks like the credit card fee was well worth it.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I’m deciding when to apply for this card. Terms say that cert is earned after paying annual fee. When does the AF become due? With first statement or at one year anniversary. Most of mine seem to come due right away. But something in the thread made me think it wasn’t till the one year mark for the cert.

I have a particular trip in mind to use the cert but it will be before the one year anniversary.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I’m deciding when to apply for this card. Terms say that cert is earned after paying annual fee. When does the AF become due? With first statement or at one year anniversary. Most of mine seem to come due right away. But something in the thread made me think it wasn’t till the one year mark for the cert.

I have a particular trip in mind to use the cert but it will be before the one year anniversary.
First AF is charged on your first statement.

First companion cert is issued with your *renewal* AF, so after holding the card about 11.5 months.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gooselee
First AF is charged on your first statement.

First companion cert is issued with your *renewal* AF, so after holding the card about 11.5 months.
Ah. Okay, thanks. That’s helpful. I’ll probably wait then.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by melissaru
Hoping someone has some insight on this... for years have used Delta Platinum Amex. In December, upgraded to Delta Reserve to utilize the SkyClub access instead of paying for it separately as well as the upgraded companion fare ticket (booking in C+ or First). I just went to book a flight using the certificate and it's still showing my Delta Platinum card in My Wallet, and thus, only showing flights avail in Main Cabin. Any idea how or when it will change over to the Delta Reserve I now have (it's the same card number as my previous Platinum - was just an upgrade, not a new account).
Thanks for any help!
I have a Delta gold and thought about upgrading to the Delta platinum but it appears the only difference is a annual "domestic" round-trip complimentary ticket. I usually fly only international, and when flying domestic I fly one way to catch my international flight. I never book round trip domestic flights because I need to be flexible. So, is there any reason anybody can think of for me to upgrade? Also, it looks like the Delta Reserve had the same verbiage about domestic round-trip. I already have the amex platinum for lounges, so don't need that.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I have a Delta gold and thought about upgrading to the Delta platinum but it appears the only difference is a annual "domestic" round-trip complimentary ticket. I usually fly only international, and when flying domestic I fly one way to catch my international flight. I never book round trip domestic flights because I need to be flexible. So, is there any reason anybody can think of for me to upgrade? Also, it looks like the Delta Reserve had the same verbiage about domestic round-trip. I already have the amex platinum for lounges, so don't need that.
The AX Reserve certificate is for first class. Also, you get 30K MQMs once you reach $60K in annual spend. I have two AXR cards, so that gives us 2x F tickets and allows me to gift all 60K MQMs to my wife so she can maintain her Diamond status, which also gives us 8x GUCs annually — so two domestic F tix and eight D1 international segments. Additionally, with the Reserve card we can each bring two non-family guests with us into the clubs at no charge, allowing us up to six people in the SC.

Well worth the $900 AF for us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.