Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 5:13 pm

Might have just gotten lucky today, booked HNL-LAS over Thanksgiving using companion certificate at $591 but before clicking on the final button, I opened another browser and checked the non-certificate fare. $591 was for basic economy and main cabin was $60 more. Might have thought that E fares were certificate eligible but I was able to choose seats when I booked.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Very successful- Used both of mine for roughly $420 fares - Backing out the AF, I got $225 in value average for each.

Upgrade rate for my wife and me was 100%

Great perk...
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by mathprof
Might have just gotten lucky today, booked HNL-LAS over Thanksgiving using companion certificate at $591 but before clicking on the final button, I opened another browser and checked the non-certificate fare. $591 was for basic economy and main cabin was $60 more. Might have thought that E fares were certificate eligible but I was able to choose seats when I booked.
Yes, I've seen this too. The fares that Amex certs book into are often priced similar to BE. I only get one example per year, but my experience is the same. The seventh character of the fare code was "E" in my case.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: DL PM (was DL DM for 3yrs), HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mathprof
Might have thought that E fares were certificate eligible but I was able to choose seats when I booked.
I reported this bug in this thread a while back.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:02 am

Flying this week ecp-sfo with my spouse on my AmEx cert. Our return flight has a schedule change waiver now, so my question is can/will delta split our reservation on the return and route my wife to NYC and I continue on to ecp and at what cost? I don't want to split before outbound b/c I am GM and she is a DM and we have already cleared into F on both legs going out thanks to her.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by Culvetr
Flying this week ecp-sfo with my spouse on my AmEx cert. Our return flight has a schedule change waiver now, so my question is can/will delta split our reservation on the return and route my wife to NYC and I continue on to ecp and at what cost? I don't want to split before outbound b/c I am GM and she is a DM and we have already cleared into F on both legs going out thanks to her.
Nope. Both travelers must travel on the same itinerary. It's certainly possible for one traveler to no-show for a final segment, but it is simply not possible to send a companion only to a different destination.

So, perhaps you could route both travelers SFO->NYC->ECP, and have the spouse simply not board the NYC-ECP leg of the trip.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:04 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
I found some older threads on this topic but nothing more recent...anyone have any luck (recently) getting Amex to extend or re-issue an expiring(expired) voucher? My 2017 voucher expires in 2 weeks (had no idea this was the case) and I'd like to use it for travel in November...any insights appreciated, even if it's to tell me I'm out of luck.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dwbf11
I found some older threads on this topic but nothing more recent...anyone have any luck (recently) getting Amex to extend or re-issue an expiring(expired) voucher? My 2017 voucher expires in 2 weeks (had no idea this was the case) and I'd like to use it for travel in November...any insights appreciated, even if it's to tell me I'm out of luck.
I'm going out on a limb and say no, just because you weren't aware that the cert was going to expire. ALso, my 2018 Certificate has been deposited and my 2017 doesn't expire until the 30th of this month.

Last edited by FlightNurse; Sep 14, 2017 at 10:32 am
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by dwbf11
I think I got mine extended once - I don't recall exactly.

That said, I think these days they'll tell you that you will get your 2018 certificate and should use that one.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive
Anyone aware of a change to the date of issuance for companion certificates?

My annual fee posted about a week ago but the certificate has not yet showed up in my Delta account. In the past I have found that the certificate posted prior to the Amex annual fee posting.

This account is a Delta Reserve card that was converted from a Delta Platinum card 3 to 4 months ago; I have had this account for multiple years and received the platinum companion certificate multiple times.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If your annual fee posted but no cert then I would contact Amex and say you have not yet received your cert even though it is past your annual renewal date and the fee was charged.

Wouldn't hurt to contact Delta either, although they'll probably just direct you to Amex.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by akcae
I actually searched on delta.com, then abandoned their broken site and used the mobile app, which showed better results. CI options I found via AF, then confirmed each segment on DL app, then called in, since it would not show up online. HUCA once, fed the second agent each segment and he managed to price it out correctly (at the new partner rate of 95K, joy ).

I transfered in MR points to top off my SM account while I had the agent on the phone.

One of a million reasons I stopped collecting SkyMiles directly years ago...
I actually found SOME 80K OW J awards US to Japan/China in 2018. Most were 95K.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by mnredfox
I actually found SOME 80K OW J awards US to Japan/China in 2018. Most were 95K.
DL metal?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
If your annual fee posted but no cert then I would contact Amex and say you have not yet received your cert even though it is past your annual renewal date and the fee was charged.

Wouldn't hurt to contact Delta either, although they'll probably just direct you to Amex.
Isn't the "anniversary" date not necessarily the same as the card renewal fee date?

I vaguely recall that's why or how they can get out of sync. Plus a few weeks for the billing cycle.

I had upgraded from gold to the Platinum Skymiles card, so my dates are like 3 weeks apart or something.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 4:15 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Used my Platinum certificate to fly PDX-SLC-DEN-SEA-PDX with my father in late August. Booked less than two weeks out, but plenty of options and the whole thing cost about $350 for our ideal flight times. F9 is certainly nice for keeping prices down through DEN.

FC cleared on PDX-SLC and DEN-SEA We sat in C+ on the other two legs.

Also, tangentially related but not worthy of its own thread, the SEA-PDX flight was delayed due to a pilot being unavailable. It arrived around 1:00am, an hour and twenty minutes late. My father went directly home to Salem, but I was flying to LAS early the next morning (on AS, shhhhh ). I asked the Redcoat at the gate on arrival if I could have a hotel voucher since the flight arrived so late at night and I had something to do early the next morning. He politely demurred saying it was only for forced overnights, but I fought back all the lessons from the DYKWIA thread and asked if they could do it as a customer service gesture for a PM. He picked up the phone and 30 minutes later I was crawling into a hotel bed. A great gesture and the kind of the thing that keeps me firmly with Delta. I wish I'd had a JWD certificate on me to give to him.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.