Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: Skymiles, Marriott
Does the platinum companion certificate have to be booked at the same time as the paid fare? Or can it be booked at a later time (say a couple of days after)
Old May 7, 2016, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Qwksnke
Does the platinum companion certificate have to be booked at the same time as the paid fare? Or can it be booked at a later time (say a couple of days after)
Both seats need to be booked together at the same time on the same PNR (and there must be at least 2 seats in one of qualifying fare buckets to book it).
Old May 7, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: Skymiles, Marriott
Originally Posted by LBJ
Both seats need to be booked together at the same time on the same PNR (and there must be at least 2 seats in one of qualifying fare buckets to book it).
Thanks. I received one this week and sounds like I will just go ahead and cancel it as nearly all of my travel is work based and never booked through the Delta website. I was hoping I could use the companion certificate if the wife decided to accompany me on a trip. I have a Delta gold AMEX already with a better APR
Old May 10, 2016, 7:33 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
Was successful booking RT F BUF-JAX June 16-19, prices were crazy expensive. Saved $822

Also, interestingly, was able to list my companion first to give him the points.
Old May 10, 2016, 8:47 am

Just returned from EWR-GPT long weekend. No problem with companion ticket and reasonably good fare for me.
Old May 10, 2016, 9:36 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by nikitta28
Was successful booking RT F BUF-JAX June 16-19, prices were crazy expensive. Saved $822

Also, interestingly, was able to list my companion first to give him the points.
Actually I don't think you saved as much as you think and are probably a victim of thinking the price quoted using the cert is the same when not. I can see flights for those days in G for $508 a person, so you probably only saved about $180.

I always check the price first without the cert to see what I am really saving.

$180 is about what I average in savings although I did once get 2 JFK-LAX that saved me $1300 but that is rare.

Last edited by BusTrav8yrs; May 10, 2016 at 9:46 am
Old May 10, 2016, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Good point from the above poster. Sometime there are G fares available at a significantly lower price than the A fares that the cert books in.
Old May 10, 2016, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Actually I don't think you saved as much as you think and are probably a victim of thinking the price quoted using the cert is the same when not. I can see flights for those days in G for $508 a person, so you probably only saved about $180.

I always check the price first without the cert to see what I am really saving.

$180 is about what I average in savings although I did once get 2 JFK-LAX that saved me $1300 but that is rare.
Went to buy the fare online, almost purchased 2 tickets for $822 a piece. Needed specific dates and a specific departure time, was flexible on the return. Then I remembered I had a cert. Called and they had availability. So, I only paid $822, how does that only save me $180? I know you may see flights those days for a certain amount of money but that doesn't mean they fit into my schedule or I want to get up at 4am.
Old May 10, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Booked economy tickets with the platinum certificate last week. SLC-SEA at the end of July, price kept fluctuating between $300 and $350 for about a week. Finally stabilized at $300, so I jumped on it.

I noticed the "upgrade eligible" was still on the payment page and for fun, I selected C+ and F. But as I suspected, when I looked at My Trips, the upgrades aren't actually requested. It still says eligible, but when I try to select either upgrade, I'm just given the "Your request cannot be completed at this time" general DL error message.
Old May 10, 2016, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by rylan
Good point from the above poster. Sometime there are G fares available at a significantly lower price than the A fares that the cert books in.
Does the Reserve cert not work on G fares?

I haven't checked the T&Cs since they listed AILUT (leaving out XV, even though they were still readily bookable with the Plat cert). I guess I'd just always assumed the lowest FC fares would be eligible.

All the same, there are several times we fly where A is in fact the cheapest (or L/U if in Y) and the higher price of those flights is what often motivates our use of the cert on them, so not too worried about still getting good value.
Old May 10, 2016, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
Does the Reserve cert not work on G fares?

I haven't checked the T&Cs since they listed AILUT (leaving out XV, even though they were still readily bookable with the Plat cert). I guess I'd just always assumed the lowest FC fares would be eligible.

All the same, there are several times we fly where A is in fact the cheapest (or L/U if in Y) and the higher price of those flights is what often motivates our use of the cert on them, so not too worried about still getting good value.
I just checked and our tickets are A
Old May 11, 2016, 2:42 pm

Yeah, I guess it really just depends on dates and cities and when you book and whatnot. Just for fun, I picked two random days in the fall and looked at a few different cities. SLC-SAT was a $30 difference between G and A fares, whereas SLC-NYC only returned A fares as the lowest price, no G fares unless you connected (and it wasn't any cheaper doing that). The former was a $630-660 ticket, the latter was a $1200 ticket. So either way, using the Reserve certificate helps out a lot. Sure, using the cert for the SAT roundtrip doesn't recoup 100% of the annual fee, but it more than pays for itself on that $1200 ticket to New York.
Old May 11, 2016, 7:01 pm

822-450= $372 + 30k MQM
At this point I'm satisfied, not sure if I got lucky with inventory tho.
Old May 12, 2016, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by nikitta28
822-450= $372 + 30k MQM
At this point I'm satisfied, not sure if I got lucky with inventory tho.
That's always been my mantra. When it actually comes to booking, especially if I have some flexibility, I have always been able to find companion fares and FCM fares that were reasonable. I chalk it up mostly to flying places where WN, and more recently, B6 and AS have low fares. So while flying to ANC in July is really expensive, flying to LGB or LAX or SEA or MCO or JFK is decent, especially if you can find the flight similarly timed to B6 and AS.
Old May 28, 2016, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Tried booking a simple MAN-AMS.. everything went through, cc charged (Ł29.50 - ) , got PNR but it says for me to call DL res for verification?

Why?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.