Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2011, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by goodandclassy
hmmm... i read about a similar issue (maybe on A fares), where the poster was trying to redeem and the price would shoot way up. i believe an understanding agent was able to do some sort of override...

is the flight D2 at least? Could it be one seat in D and one in J maybe so when you try to do both the price shoots up?

just a thought...
I didn't check every combination, but it would be extraordinary for every flight I checked to be D1. I don't think that's the problem.

Bruce
Old Jun 26, 2011, 7:36 am

Programs: Delta DM MM
This has been an issue for a while. No matter what fare is booked (I have tried A and P fares) the price doubles when you use the cert. This has been happening for several months as far as I know. Redeemed one a few months ago and had no trouble calling in to redeem. BTW it is nearly impossible to redeem these online.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 7:45 am

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
I used two companion tickets (from two different cards) on a trip to Fort Lauderdale last November; everything worked perfectly
Old Jun 26, 2011, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by goodandclassy
interesting... might be a new change? I actually booked the companion trip from the cancelled card on the costco card... but that was in November.

maybe avoiding delta-branded cards would work?

good luck
My problem is I couldn't even search for a fare, selecting the cert gives me an error. Call the PM line, transfers me to promotions. They say my problem is switching cards, call Amex. What a waste of time and of a cert.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by nytraveller53
I used two companion tickets (from two different cards) on a trip to Fort Lauderdale last November; everything worked perfectly
Hey, so did I.

And I booked using a phone agent, so don't let them tell you they can't because they can.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 11:58 am

I'm canceling my card before it's anniversary to avoid the fee, and my wife is gonna get one of her own. I love double dipping.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM
OK, finally got an answer from Delta....This is confirmed by the Diamond Desk, promotions desk, On-line support at supervisor level. When you look up FC ticket on line the A and P fares quoted are for coach up fares. AMEX will not allow this (supervisor said she thought it was AMEX rule). The fare class for the ticket must be an A fare booked in A, not an A fare as H-up for example. She stated this has always been the rule. The reason for the doubling or tripling of the price is that once you enter the cert number the computer will only search "true" A fares. When I asked the obvious question concerning the usefulness of these certs I was told that they may be of more value in booking coach tickets??????? Looks like we are stuck with this as no one would budge.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
Originally Posted by kevinjrwagner
I'm canceling my card before it's anniversary to avoid the fee, and my wife is gonna get one of her own. I love double dipping.
HAHAHA! We did the exact same thing! ^
Old Jun 26, 2011, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
Originally Posted by Denal1
OK, finally got an answer from Delta....This is confirmed by the Diamond Desk, promotions desk, On-line support at supervisor level. When you look up FC ticket on line the A and P fares quoted are for coach up fares. AMEX will not allow this (supervisor said she thought it was AMEX rule). The fare class for the ticket must be an A fare booked in A, not an A fare as H-up for example. She stated this has always been the rule. The reason for the doubling or tripling of the price is that once you enter the cert number the computer will only search "true" A fares. When I asked the obvious question concerning the usefulness of these certs I was told that they may be of more value in booking coach tickets??????? Looks like we are stuck with this as no one would budge.
This is indeed terrible. i am yet to try using one of these certs (for F)... and seems like I will be passing.

Great value, DL & AMEX. woo
Old Jun 26, 2011, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Denal1
This makes sense. I don't like it, but at least I understand it now! I'll give up looking for first-class companion fares and just stick to coach.

Bruce
Old Jun 26, 2011, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, I bought tickets on Continental, nonstop both directions EWR-SEA-EWR, for $617 each. With my Platinum status on Continental, I'm expecting both of us to be upgraded to first class under their UDU program. Even if the free upgrades don't clear, I saved roughly $1000 over a comparable itinerary on Delta using the "free" companion certificate. What a shame for Delta, which lost this business. Oh, and my companion gets frequent-flyer miles on Continental, too! That wouldn't happen using the companion certificate on Delta.

Bruce
Old Jun 26, 2011, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I posted in the other thread, but will here as well.. that is absolute incorrect information regarding the A fares vs X-UP... as in fact all of the A fares are based on an -UP. Also, I have a recent reservation I made using my FC companion cert and it is booked in an -UP fare into A/D.

I had the same problems with price being insane when trying to book and eventually got it fixed... one problem was because of P fares not being handled properly by the system and converting to an A for the amex ticket. I'd suggest sending an email to Kevin Pinto and he can probably help forward you to the appropriate person... even though he can't directly help since this isn't his dept, he has always been more than helpful to many FTers with issues in the past.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by rylan
I posted in the other thread, but will here as well.. that is absolute incorrect information regarding the A fares vs X-UP... as in fact all of the A fares are based on an -UP. Also, I have a recent reservation I made using my FC companion cert and it is booked in an -UP fare into A/D.

I had the same problems with price being insane when trying to book and eventually got it fixed...
Can you tell me how you got it fixed? I've tried several phone agents in several departments. The last one said, "we've explained this to you several times-- it is only eligible for the fare presented, not for A fares which are not searched using the certificate..." We went around and around and there was no solution, the agent eventually hung up on me.

I too am finding legitimate A fares available, but am finding the price quadrupled when searching using the Reserve Cert. Who did you call to push it through.

By the way, the last agent included the comment "we've made a note on your account that you have been advised, so you don't need to call back."
Old Jul 4, 2011, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paterwdb
Can you tell me how you got it fixed? I've tried several phone agents in several departments. The last one said, "we've explained this to you several times-- it is only eligible for the fare presented, not for A fares which are not searched using the certificate..." We went around and around and there was no solution, the agent eventually hung up on me.

I too am finding legitimate A fares available, but am finding the price quadrupled when searching using the Reserve Cert. Who did you call to push it through.

By the way, the last agent included the comment "we've made a note on your account that you have been advised, so you don't need to call back."
I had exactly the same experience, every element!

1. Even though the certificate says that it's good on A fares, it's not good on all A fares, just those obtained when searching using the certificate.

2. The A fares obtained when searching using the certificate are so much higher than other A fares available that only a damn fool would use the certificate. In some cases, it would cost thousands of additional dollars to "get one free"! That's just ridiculous.

3. The phone supervisor (after I gave up trying to explain this to the regular agent) also hung up on me -- or "terminated the call," in her words. She also said something about making a note in my account. God only knows what she said. I'm sure it wasn't nice!

I repeat, the Delta-AMEX free first-class companion program is a scam. Simple as that. Anyone who uses it as directed will pay much more than if they simply bought two first-class tickets the old-fashioned way.

On the other hand, it does seem to work for coach tickets, if an LUT fare is available.

Bruce
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, A3 Gold, WN CP, and lots of points everywhere.
This thread seems most active recently re. the companion certificates and I didn't find a clear answer in the 6 threads I did read.

If I book with my companion certificate (paid for on DL Gold Amex) and subsequently cancel the Amex card before flying, is there any impact on the ticket? As best I can tell, there's no problem there.

Also, it seems pretty clear that the card holder does not need to actually travel. I'd rather use this for family that doesn't care about earning miles than on my wife and I who do.

All in all, this looks pretty useful and I've found a few sample trips for consideration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.