Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2021, 2:13 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
The best for your purposes would be an unbranded AMEX Platinum and her with a second AMEX Platinum card on the account. Then you both get in the club with 2 guests each.

What type of account is her secondary on and what card is it? She may or may not get access and guest privileges on her own.
Assuming we’re talking about SkyClub and not Centurion Lounge, the Amex Platinum no longer gives free guest access. However, as OP (also?) has the Delta Reserve, he should have some SkyClub guest passes from that card. Delta Reserve primary card holders receive two per year, and they get deposited into My Wallet on delta.com and in the app. If OP hasn’t used this benefit since Covid, he probably has 4 or 6 currently because they were extended.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
To answer your question directly, yes I have, but only in the situation of schedule changes or cancellations where I was eligible for a refund. To avoid losing the cert for a voluntary cancellation, I'd simply modify your itinerary to a future date (as far out as the calendar permits) where you find a comparable price. Then when you reschedule your trip just modify the itinerary again. This will be a lot easier for the agents than reopening the cert, if they even agree to do it.
We don’t really have an alternative date for this trip and I would really hate to lose the AMEX companion certificate.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 1:46 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
We don’t really have an alternative date for this trip and I would really hate to lose the AMEX companion certificate.
I understand you don't have alternative dates now. But if you want to avoid losing the certificate then I assume you want to use the certificate to travel at some future point. I'm only suggesting you modify the trip to a dummy booking (placeholder) as far out as the calendar permits (for roughly the same price as your current ticket). Then when you do have firm dates, modify the trip again to what you intend to fly.

If you just cancel the trip you'll get eCredits for what you paid but, absent a schedule change, I doubt they would reopen the cert for you and it would be lost.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by mattp1987
Assuming we’re talking about SkyClub and not Centurion Lounge, the Amex Platinum no longer gives free guest access. However, as OP (also?) has the Delta Reserve, he should have some SkyClub guest passes from that card. Delta Reserve primary card holders receive two per year, and they get deposited into My Wallet on delta.com and in the app. If OP hasn’t used this benefit since Covid, he probably has 4 or 6 currently because they were extended.
I get two paid (discounted) guest passes with my Reserve. My wife is a secondary card holder and with the card they always let her in on her own (even if I'm not with her). I am under the assumption I can bring the other couple in as my guests and my wife can get in on her own.

To be honest I've never been in a Centurion Lounge. Would you recommend that over SkyClub? We'll be traveling through ATL and I don't think they have one but just curious for future travel.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
They won't get your Precheck. That is not a companion benefit but based on having a KTN.

When the trip gets close, get them a CLEAR trial which they can give up after the 3 months is up. That'll get them past the regular line. The best for your purposes would be an unbranded AMEX Platinum and her with a second AMEX Platinum card on the account. Then you both get in the club with 2 guests each.

What type of account is her secondary on and what card is it? She may or may not get access and guest privileges on her own.
My wife is going to be primary on one itinerary and use one of my companion certificates with the wife. I will be primary on my itinerary with the husband using another companion certificate. My wife now has global entry with Precheck so her itinerary should all get it, I'm the same so my itinerary will get it. Before my wife had global entry she always got Precheck when on my itinerary, same with any other travel guests I've had.

My card account is an Amex Reserve, my wife is the secondary cardholder with an Amex Reserve. Hers isn't tied to her Skymiles account like mine but all she ever has to do is flash it to the front desk person and they verify the name on the card matches her ticket and they let her in. I can bring both of the guests into SkyClub under my account and my wife can get in on her own.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Jason Gaffney
I get two paid (discounted) guest passes with my Reserve. My wife is a secondary card holder and with the card they always let her in on her own (even if I'm not with her). I am under the assumption I can bring the other couple in as my guests and my wife can get in on her own.

To be honest I've never been in a Centurion Lounge. Would you recommend that over SkyClub? We'll be traveling through ATL and I don't think they have one but just curious for future travel.
It sounds like you have a good plan that should work.

You're correct that there's no Centurion Lounge at ATL. I personally think the food and alcohol selections are better at Centurion Lounges than SkyClubs, but they also tend to be more crowded in my experience. If you're at an airport where you have complimentary access, it's worth a bit of a walk to check it out.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 11:31 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Data point: If you use a main cabin companion certificate and there is confirmed space available to use an RUC, you can apply the RUC and still change flights with the RUC staying.

EXAMPLE
Original Itinerary: Oct 15 - Oct 20 JFK-ATX with RUC applied immediately after booking

Changed itinerary: Oct 18 - Oct 21 JFK-ATX with RUC applied at reticketing with phone agent.

Furthermore, the changed itinerary was ~$50 cheaper than the original itinerary resulting in a $51.20 credit to the original payment method (not a Delta credit).
Old Sep 13, 2021, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL FO
I just noticed that my companion cert (issued 11/2019 and most recently extended until 6/30/2022) now expires 1/31/2023
hurnik, mattp1987 and williwaw like this.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by hoth300
I just noticed that my companion cert (issued 11/2019 and most recently extended until 6/30/2022) now expires 1/31/2023
Thanks for pointing this out. I just checked and all three in my account have been extended to 1/31/2023 as well.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 2:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold (LT), Nat EL Exec, Hertz PC
Is SDC possible while booked in First with a companion? (DL Reserve companion certificate)

Also, IF possible... Companion is not a Medallion, but I am DM so I am thinking we'd have to pay for the other SDC fee?
Old Sep 20, 2021, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by brkandjfk
Is SDC possible while booked in First with a companion? (DL Reserve companion certificate)

Also, IF possible... Companion is not a Medallion, but I am DM so I am thinking we'd have to pay for the other SDC fee?
Yes, and yes one SDC fee at companion's rate.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 12:30 pm

For Delta One Upgrades for US Flights (LAX-JFK), the website states upgrades clear on the day of departure. What does this actually mean? For example, is from 12:00am of the departure date to boarding? Or just before boarding?

Is there a waitlist to see where you are on the Delta One upgrade list?
Old Sep 24, 2021, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tomtaylor23
For Delta One Upgrades for US Flights (LAX-JFK), the website states upgrades clear on the day of departure. What does this actually mean? For example, is from 12:00am of the departure date to boarding? Or just before boarding?

Is there a waitlist to see where you are on the Delta One upgrade list?
It's whenever they release the seats into the OU upgrade bucket which for the most part will happen at the gate. Your name will appear on the upgrade list after checking in for the flight just as it does for FC flights and you can be bumped down the list as people with higher upgrade priority than you check-in just as it does for FC flights.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 8:41 am

I have 3 Delta companion certificates saved up from my Amex Platinum Delta card. Can I book 1 ticket and use all 3 companion passes for 4 total tickets for our family of 4? Or do I have to book 2 tickets and use 2 companion passes?
Old Sep 25, 2021, 8:52 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Vcize
I have 3 Delta companion certificates saved up from my Amex Platinum Delta card. Can I book 1 ticket and use all 3 companion passes for 4 total tickets for our family of 4? Or do I have to book 2 tickets and use 2 companion passes?
Are these certificates via Amex? If yes, I don't think you can use more than 1 certificate per paid ticket (i.e., only 1 companion can accompany you; the person who has the certificates). Someone please confirm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.