Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2021, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by CaptainBiscoff
This made me realize that I may have broken the rules, but I’m not sure. I booked a FC companion pass flight departing from Airport A going to Airport B, the return is from Airport B to Airport C (Airport A is an hour from Airport C, but we are flying out of Airport A to fly a wide body and get access to the Skyclub that Airport C doesn’t have). I will say, I’ve spoken to probably 8 agents on this reservation for one thing or another (generally asking about when some better service will return to FC) and I always ask if the reservation with companion is good, and they always say yes. So, I’m not sure if I did anything wrong, and I’d like to assume one of the 8 agents would tell me if I did. Hopefully I’m in the clear and can enjoy the trip without modification.
This would not be possible to book with the companion cert unless the different city was NYC, WAS or CHI and you used co terminals for airports A and C. When using a companion cert you can only put in one origin city and one destination city. If it was booked and ticketed you should be fine.
CaptainBiscoff likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 4:37 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are A and C co-terminals?
Response below.

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
This would not be possible to book with the companion cert unless the different city was NYC, WAS or CHI and you used co terminals for airports A and C. When using a companion cert you can only put in one origin city and one destination city. If it was booked and ticketed you should be fine.
thank you both for your response! I did a quick search and it does appear that Airports A & C (in addition to one other) are considered a Co-Terminal. I didn’t know what Co-Terminals were until now. So this means I should be okay?
Old Mar 17, 2021, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by CaptainBiscoff
Response below.

thank you both for your response! I did a quick search and it does appear that Airports A & C (in addition to one other) are considered a Co-Terminal. I didn’t know what Co-Terminals were until now. So this means I should be okay?
If it ticketed you will be fine. The only way you successfully ticketed co-terminals was by putting in WAS, NYC or CHI.
CaptainBiscoff likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
If it ticketed you will be fine. The only way you successfully ticketed co-terminals was by putting in WAS, NYC or CHI.
Yeah, seems like BWI/DCA are most likely the airports in question.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 3:45 pm

Reserve Companion Ticket in Different Class of Service

Is it possible to book an AMEX DL Reserve companion ticket in coach outbound and in first-class on the return - or does it have to be booked in the same class of service in each direction?
Old Mar 17, 2021, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I’m pretty sure I have booked different cabins in each direction with the AmEx Companion Cert.. I’ve also had the AmEx Companion Cert book into different cabins in the same direction, even when both flights had an F cabin. Had an SEA-ATL-RDU itinerary booked with the companion cert where SEA-ATL booked into F and the ATL-RDU leg booked into Y. I didn’t care that much since SEA-ATL was the leg I really cared about and we were upgraded at some point on ATL-RDU anyway (don’t remember if it was in advance or at the gate).
jayc likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The T&C's say it's not allowed -- "Both passengers must be booked at the same time, in the same class of service and in the same record."
Old Mar 17, 2021, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by xliioper
The T&C's say it's not allowed -- "Both passengers must be booked at the same time, in the same class of service and in the same record."
The OP seems to want to book different segments in different classes of service, not to have the two passengers in different classes or service or different cabins, which clearly would be a problem as then the two passengers couldn't be on the same PNR.

My *guess* is that if delta.dumb permits you to book what you want as a RT on a single ticket/PNR, the companion cert should apply. Surely there wouldn't, for example, be a problem if some of the segments didn't offer FC while other segments do. OTOH, if it can only be booked using multicity search, I'd be less optimistic that the Reserve card companion cert can be used.
tardyturtle likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The OP seems to want to book different segments in different classes of service, not to have the two passengers in different classes or service or different cabins, which clearly would be a problem as then the two passengers couldn't be on the same PNR.

My *guess* is that if delta.dumb permits you to book what you want as a RT on a single ticket/PNR, the companion cert should apply. Surely there wouldn't, for example, be a problem if some of the segments didn't offer FC while other segments do. OTOH, if it can only be booked using multicity search, I'd be less optimistic that the Reserve card companion cert can be used.
Okay, my bad, I didn't read post carefully enough. Yes, it looks possible to have different class for outbound/return as long as both passengers in same class. It errors out when I try to select different cabins in each direction, but then it errors out frequently when I select same cabin in both directions, so I wouldn't really take it as definitively not possible.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 17, 2021 at 9:45 pm
Old Mar 18, 2021, 3:30 pm

Yeah, I can't get the site to accept the booking, as it returns an error message if I try coach outbound and first for our return.

Guess I'll just have to call the PM desk to have them manually ticket the itinerary. Wanted to see if it was even a possibility before I called.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by jayc
Is it possible to book an AMEX DL Reserve companion ticket in coach outbound and in first-class on the return - or does it have to be booked in the same class of service in each direction?
Yes I did this last month. Didn't have an issue doing this online. SEA-ATL-CRW roundtrip, economy outbound, firstclass inbound, made a search using roundtrip as normal.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yeah, I can't get the site to accept the booking, as it returns an error message if I try coach outbound and first for our return.

Guess I'll just have to call the PM desk to have them manually ticket the itinerary. Wanted to see if it was even a possibility before I called.
Are you using fare classes that are acceptable for the cert and that can be combined into a single RT ticket?
Old Mar 19, 2021, 10:10 am

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by xliioper
The Companion Certs are not valid for Delta One flights according to T&C's -- "Eligible on Delta, Delta Connection carrier and Delta Shuttle flights only (excludes all other Delta-designated codeshare flights). Companion Certificate is valid for one round-trip First-Class, Delta Comfort+® or Main Cabin companion ticket with the purchase of certain adult round-trip fares on published routings within the 48 contiguous United States. " They do appear in the flight listings, but the booking engine errors out after you have selected them.
Thanks for this. I wasn't sure if the terms were just poorly written, so it's helpful to have an actual datapoint about the erroring-out. I probably won't bother getting the Reserve then since for me D1 would be the primary value over the Platinum certificate.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 3:28 pm

Yes. Booking "L" class outbound and "I" on the return, but keep getting the pesky error message.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Well, I just booked a transcontinental trip where one direction was "I" and the other was "Z". Different fare classes although both front cabin fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.