Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2021, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
No they definitely increased pricing again. 120K from 90K.

.... this airline.
Yep and US-Asia awards now appear to start at 165K one-way for saver business. Another reason to avoid DL.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 4:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fly747first
Yep and US-Asia awards now appear to start at 165K one-way for saver business. Another reason to avoid DL.
Right now, US-domestic redemptions as opposed to partner awards is where it's at.

Like 2k for LAX-SEA in BE or 2.5k in main. Transcons from 6k or 7k.
tfred likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly747first
Partner's are 120K one-way (CSMH1200, 60-day advance purchase). DL metal is currently same 120K each-way with roundtrip purchase (CSVR1200, 90-day advance purchase).

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 6, 2021 at 5:11 am
Old Feb 14, 2021, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I agree with gooslee, I use 2 a year. I always book online, sometimes far out and other times close in. I only call for changes that I couldn't handle online, even with a regular ticket.
For example, I have one which I booked online in advance. DL changed my flights from non-stops and changed them from mainline to a connection carrier so I called and got a change of flights and a destination co-terminal. Then, due to anticipated weather problems this coming week, I called this AM and changed to a different date and destination co-terminal. All of these were treated as even exchanges and handled quickly by phone, just as they would have been with any other ticket.

The value received for these more than pays for our Reserve Cards every year.
AeRoSpaceman and gooselee like this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 7:46 am

Programs: communist, liberal and love Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup
i've had good experience using amex res. cert. online couple times for BOS and OHR. recently used amex plat. via phone and was surprised that was able to use for holiday travel to FLL christmas week returning NY eve before cert. expiration. I think they are solid values.
gooselee likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 12:52 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
I am new to the Reserve card (received my first certificate in November.) I am able to create test bookings for main and comfort+, but bookings in first all error out once I select the final leg (using I or Z fares.) Haven't had a reason to travel yet, so its academic at this point.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 4:14 am

Has anyone gotten the online booking function to work for Companion Certificates lately? I search, it offers choices, indicates certificates are applied and I select outbound and return.

Then, the system just brings me back to the search page again.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Old Mar 4, 2021, 4:42 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by Auston
Has anyone gotten the online booking function to work for Companion Certificates lately? I search, it offers choices, indicates certificates are applied and I select outbound and return.

TIA
Same problem for me. I always end up having to call. The phone agents say you are supposed to be able to use it online, but they are aware of some "issues".

I downgraded to the DL Amex Blue last year, but while I had the DL Plat Amex I was able to always use my companion certificate. You have to be flexible and sometime creative, but it is possible.
Auston likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 4:19 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
As I was thinking about getting a couple of trips on the books for a hopefully post-widespread-vaccination summer, it occurs to me that the end of change fees actually seriously devalues the companion certificate, because (AFAIK) in order to make a voluntary change to a companion cert booking you need to find another itinerary also with companion cert availability. Whereas of course changing regular tickets is now done without even needing to pause to consider, at least as long as you don’t stumble into a huge fare difference.

So I’m not particularly worried about making a few regular bookings for the summer, even not knowing whether I might have business travel again by then or any other conflicts, since a regular ticket booking now is pretty much just establishing a credit balance with Delta that you just have to use at some point. (I discovered today you can even now pay for a fare difference on a booking by using a separate eCredit balance, which I’m not sure was always possible — but further contributes to the flexibility value.) But booking using a companion cert is not as easy to commit to.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 2:12 pm

Programs: Independent
I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere: with the newer T&C (I & Z fares) can you still book Delta One transcon tickets with the Reserve Companion Cert? The new sign-up offers are making it appealing if the certificate is useful.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 4:44 pm

TIA
I just booked my son on companion ticket with me to New Orleans, no problem. Might the problem be what platform you are using, a technical problem?. Most of my Delta stuff I do in the iPhone app, occasionally on Chrome on the iPhone, but companions I do on a PC with Chrome browser because there seemed to be limitations off the iOS platform . Might be something that simple?.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RealHJ
The issue I've found is that there IS inventory in the eligible fare classes, but it simply doesn't show online when doing a certificate search - most of it. Even when it does, it fails at the last step.

May be the problem lies with the HNL-MSP or HNL-ATL flights, which are the only ones I will go on. Well those two on A330 or 767 or HNL-SLC when it's the normal configured 767 also, though SLC usually has few connecting flight options and >4 hour long connections due to scheduling. (This is using - or trying to use, to be more exact - the Reserve companion certificate for F/J domestic travel.)

Been able to redeem it a grand total of one time over 5+ years. Have searched 1000s of times, literally. Tried to book 100+ times, I think.
The Amex certificates are not valid for travel to/from Hawaii (the platinum or reserve certs).
Old Mar 6, 2021, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by curl
The Amex certificates are not valid for travel to/from Hawaii (the platinum or reserve certs).
There's an exception for residents of Hawaii (and Alaska, PR, and USVI) --

Residents of Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico or the United States Virgin Islands (USVI) must originate from there to the 48 contiguous United States and have an address on their SkyMiles account in Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico or the USVI.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hkcj
I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere: with the newer T&C (I & Z fares) can you still book Delta One transcon tickets with the Reserve Companion Cert? The new sign-up offers are making it appealing if the certificate is useful.
The Companion Certs are not valid for Delta One flights according to T&C's -- "Eligible on Delta, Delta Connection carrier and Delta Shuttle flights only (excludes all other Delta-designated codeshare flights). Companion Certificate is valid for one round-trip First-Class, Delta Comfort+® or Main Cabin companion ticket with the purchase of certain adult round-trip fares on published routings within the 48 contiguous United States. " They do appear in the flight listings, but the booking engine errors out after you have selected them.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 4:24 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond Medallion, Delta Amex Reserve, Marriott Rewards Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Spire

TIA
Had same problem with Reserve trying to book FC. Would get to payment page in coach but errored out when selecting return on FC flights. Called Diamond line, got a wonderful rep who booked the flights I desired no problem after providing exact dates and flight numbers for ease of discussion. Used a plat cert earlier no issues, unsure if your issue was on a reserve in first like I had problems with or in coach or on a plat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.