Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bj27
Curious why this is the case? Not having TPE as a connection point is a real major PITA since it's a pretty large Asian destination / transit point.
CI isn't a preferred partner is why. I'm guessing because of this CI charges DL more for award seats.
Old May 22, 2019, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
CI isn't a preferred partner is why. I'm guessing because of this CI charges DL more for award seats.
But it is not just CI! You cant connect through ICN on KE (which is a preferred partner) either. The only carrier I see that DL allows connections through a hub is MU.

Last edited by ArlingtonTraveler; May 24, 2019 at 6:23 am
Old May 23, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTraveler
But it is not just CI! You cant connect through ICN on KE either. The only carrier I see that DL allows connections through a hub is MU.
Some connections at ICN are blocked, yes. Also, KE connections at NRT are also generally blocked.

DL has been indeed stepping up blocking booking connections, forcing you to book multiple separate tickets for the same through flights, thus creating all sorts of difficulties. DL res refuse, or cannot, put it on the same ticket even as broken fare and also will tell you, even after escalation to GTS, that you have to book your connecting flights as separate tickets. With something like a 1h05m connection (legal but tight) that is rather risky, not knowing can the connecting airline check you in at the gate when the plane is already boarding. But, that is what DL wants you to do. (And so forget about checking bags. From now on it's carry-ons only on award tix.)
Old May 24, 2019, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Some connections at ICN are blocked, yes. Also, KE connections at NRT are also generally blocked.

DL has been indeed stepping up blocking booking connections, forcing you to book multiple separate tickets for the same through flights, thus creating all sorts of difficulties. DL res refuse, or cannot, put it on the same ticket even as broken fare and also will tell you, even after escalation to GTS, that you have to book your connecting flights as separate tickets. With something like a 1h05m connection (legal but tight) that is rather risky, not knowing can the connecting airline check you in at the gate when the plane is already boarding. But, that is what DL wants you to do. (And so forget about checking bags. From now on it's carry-ons only on award tix.)
Yes, and in essence DL is exercising routing control on partner awards which they started doing on their own metal a long time ago and its nuanced. So in my searches, you can fly KE and CI but only to/from ICN and TPE and not beyond. For example, from MNL to LAX both KE and CI have award availability if you search segment by segment on many dates, but they are blocked on through routings. You can only fly for what used to be the saver amount in business on MU (85K) through PVG (and pay over $200 in fuel surcharges) or for whatever DL wants to charge you by flying KE to ICN and then DL metal to the USA or all DL metal through NRT (which in my searches has never been less than 120k or 35K more miles than the de facto saver amount). UA and even AA don't come close to this type of chicanery the way they run their FF program IMHO. It's true AA blocks almost all long haul business class awards, but they also don't exercise routing control over their partner awards except in limiting what zones your can connect through.

Last edited by ArlingtonTraveler; May 24, 2019 at 7:20 am
Old May 24, 2019, 7:21 pm

Greetings,

I am booking international travel to MLE for honeymoon and wondering if someone has experience with DFW>MLE using skymiles.

We have 800,000 skymiles at our disposal, though, we are trying to keep it to 300,000 on economy (perhaps paying for an upgrade)

Depart: 28 NOV, Return: 7 DEC ... it looks like the best milage is going through Rome on Alitalia (110,000/passenger)

Any ideas for a different route? This one is 41 hours start to finish... looking for the optimal setup.

Thanks for reading
Old May 24, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Looking for advice

Booked a flight 2 months ago for my wife and child using the companion ticket. Flight is in 3 weeks. The relative they're visiting unexpectedly will be in surgery in 3 weeks and stay for a week in part of the hospital where young children are not permitted.

Is the best thing for me to do:
A. Have my wife show up and use her own ticket and our child no-show for the departure (which i think means my wife's return will still be valid but my child's return will be cancelled and incur no fee)
B. Call Delta this week and explain the situation, hoping for a refund of my child's ticket
C. Something else?

TIA
Old May 25, 2019, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Booked a flight 2 months ago for my wife and child using the companion ticket. Flight is in 3 weeks. The relative they're visiting unexpectedly will be in surgery in 3 weeks and stay for a week in part of the hospital where young children are not permitted.

Is the best thing for me to do:
A. Have my wife show up and use her own ticket and our child no-show for the departure (which i think means my wife's return will still be valid but my child's return will be cancelled and incur no fee)
B. Call Delta this week and explain the situation, hoping for a refund of my child's ticket
C. Something else?

TIA
Is your wife the "primary" passenger on the PNR (the one whose ticket is paid for? If so, then your child can no show and your wife can just fly as planned (option A). You'll not be charged anything but also won't receive any refund.

For option B, if your child is using the certificate, then nothing was paid other than taxes/fees (usually ~$25) so there's not much to be refunded, though it's certainly worth a call given the situation. Unless you're asking if they will give the certificate back. I think technically that should not be possible, but again not much to lose by calling to explain the situation and ask.

Hope your relative is okay!
Old May 27, 2019, 1:16 pm

I found a Business award 11/28/19 via one-way search for 85,000 per person.....DFW-ATL-CDG-MLE....long layovers but a good price and AF metal.

Also, found a coach routing on 12/7/19 for 45K pp......MLE-FCO-LAX-DFW.
Old May 27, 2019, 7:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTraveler
Yes, and in essence DL is exercising routing control on partner awards which they started doing on their own metal a long time ago and its nuanced. So in my searches, you can fly KE and CI but only to/from ICN and TPE and not beyond. For example, from MNL to LAX both KE and CI have award availability if you search segment by segment on many dates, but they are blocked on through routings. You can only fly for what used to be the saver amount in business on MU (85K) through PVG (and pay over $200 in fuel surcharges) or for whatever DL wants to charge you by flying KE to ICN and then DL metal to the USA or all DL metal through NRT (which in my searches has never been less than 120k or 35K more miles than the de facto saver amount). UA and even AA don't come close to this type of chicanery the way they run their FF program IMHO. It's true AA blocks almost all long haul business class awards, but they also don't exercise routing control over their partner awards except in limiting what zones your can connect through.
I had no trouble a week ago booking a KE JFK-ICN-SIN J award for 85k miles for this fall and did it all over Twitter initially until the agent had to call me to complete the payment. I’ve also been successful booking a J award SIN-TPE-JFK on CI with an agent on the DM line with no issues.

gooselee likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by FSUnole03

I had no trouble a week ago booking a KE JFK-ICN-SIN J award for 85k miles for this fall and did it all over Twitter initially until the agent had to call me to complete the payment. I’ve also been successful booking a J award SIN-TPE-JFK on CI with an agent on the DM line with no issues.

There are many agents out there who know how to do their jobs, the problem for many people is finding them. I found an agent who knew how to piece together a KE award, and then found a GTS agent (the alleged experts) who had no idea how to price a China airlines award. Recently redeposited a China airlines award, rebooked the US-TPE portion online and then called to have the TPE-XXX segment added, and it still took the GTS agent 23 minutes to figure it out, despite the fact that I gave her the ticket number from the previous booking to prove what I was doing was valid.
RealHJ likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by FSUnole03

I had no trouble a week ago booking a KE JFK-ICN-SIN J award for 85k miles for this fall and did it all over Twitter initially until the agent had to call me to complete the payment.
If you had "no trouble" booking it though, why did you not simply do so online and had to resort to such unconventional means that is not even an authorized booking channel?
Old May 28, 2019, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by breyerpatch
Greetings,

I am booking international travel to MLE for honeymoon and wondering if someone has experience with DFW>MLE using skymiles.

We have 800,000 skymiles at our disposal, though, we are trying to keep it to 300,000 on economy (perhaps paying for an upgrade)

Depart: 28 NOV, Return: 7 DEC ... it looks like the best milage is going through Rome on Alitalia (110,000/passenger)

Any ideas for a different route? This one is 41 hours start to finish... looking for the optimal setup.

Thanks for reading
Wife and I did MLE on miles two years ago. I’d try TPAC VS TATL. First find the best operating carriers into MLE the days you’re there and then backtrack.

We flew DEN-LAX-PVG on DL metal with 18 ish hour layover (TWOV) and then on MU to MLE. Just watch out for MU YQ fees and difficult availability in J. We only scored one J seat on MU even though the cabin flew out 80% empty.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by seychellesbound
I found a Business award 11/28/19 via one-way search for 85,000 per person.....DFW-ATL-CDG-MLE....long layovers but a good price and AF metal.

Also, found a coach routing on 12/7/19 for 45K pp......MLE-FCO-LAX-DFW.
Hm... makes me think it's better to book a series of one ways vs return. Or at least do my searching that way. Thanks for the insight - business class would be awesome.

Originally Posted by mnredfox

Wife and I did MLE on miles two years ago. I’d try TPAC VS TATL. First find the best operating carriers into MLE the days you’re there and then backtrack.

We flew DEN-LAX-PVG on DL metal with 18 ish hour layover (TWOV) and then on MU to MLE. Just watch out for MU YQ fees and difficult availability in J. We only scored one J seat on MU even though the cabin flew out 80% empty.
Noted. I've been told from others transfer from PVG can be a pain but this is solid guidance. Thanks for your reply.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:23 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Seems like delta.com also blocks other carriers (not just Asian carriers) on multi-segment trips that include a Delta-operated leg.

For example, LAX-SYD is available in J with miles on VA, but SEA-LAX-SYD is not (Delta.com pushes you to book their own metal).

However, last year I was able to book SEA-(DL)-LAX-(VA)-MEL-(VA)-CNS with no issue (priced at low level). Seems not to be the case anymore.

UGH!
Old May 30, 2019, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by bj27
Seems like delta.com also blocks other carriers (not just Asian carriers) on multi-segment trips that include a Delta-operated leg.

For example, LAX-SYD is available in J with miles on VA, but SEA-LAX-SYD is not (Delta.com pushes you to book their own metal).

However, last year I was able to book SEA-(DL)-LAX-(VA)-MEL-(VA)-CNS with no issue (priced at low level). Seems not to be the case anymore.

UGH!
Indeed. Just one of countless "enhancements" to the SlyMiles program.
strickerj likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.