Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 1Banker
I was finally able to book a MR trip in J on China Eastern!
How can I be sure to get credit to my Skymiles account. I asked MU to add my Skymiles # to my reservation, but I cannot see it online. When I registered with MU online, the system automatically assigned me a MU frequent flyer number. I can't delete it.
Has anyone else had this issue if so how did you get it resolved?
You can try to do it at the MU website or call their LA office.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
I'm a year into the Delta Platinum AMEX card and it's "benefits" and mostly interested in using miles to upgrade a Companion Certificate from simple coach to C+. Possible? How?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
The card cancellation info that Amex provides now specifically mentions a certificate clawback. Any data points to report?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: Delta, IHG
Originally Posted by Old Hickory
I'm a year into the Delta Platinum AMEX card and it's "benefits" and mostly interested in using miles to upgrade a Companion Certificate from simple coach to C+. Possible? How?
The only way the Companion Cert can upgrade to C+ is based on status. You cannot spend money or miles to upgrade it.
Old Hickory likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: Delta, IHG
Originally Posted by WWads
The card cancellation info that Amex provides now specifically mentions a certificate clawback. Any data points to report?
I don't see anything specific to a claw back of the certificate in the Offer Terms. Can you copy and paste what you are reading? I am guessing it is referring to people who get the certificate upon the card renewal, then cancel the card within the 30 day refund window to receive the annual fee back.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 1:59 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
is this actually new? When I cancelled my Reserve last year the phone agent explicitly mentioned the cert would be revoked but as per the many reports on FT I had no trouble using a different AMEX card to use it.

Either way I agree that recent data points would be useful (esp since I'm about to cancel my DL Plat) -- maybe they've finally tightened up that part of their IT.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
"Upon completing this cancellation, you will no longer be eligible for an annual companion certificate. Any existing unredeemed companion certificates will now be void"
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:29 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
"Upon completing this cancellation, you will no longer be eligible for an annual companion certificate. Any existing unredeemed companion certificates will now be void"
That is more or less the same thing they read to me over the phone last year. So the language is not new; if they're actually enforcing it now, then that would be.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Based on that wording, it seems like you could use the cert as soon as it hits, then cancel. Although I am uncertain as to whether they consider the cert being applied as unredeemed or after flights. Regardless, I think there is a way to use it while still cancelling.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I want to fly from China to Tokyo on a partner award, however all flights get in in the evening to Japan where hotels are pretty costly. Is it possible for me to fly on day 1 from China to ICN and stay in ICN for the night and then take a morning flight to Tokyo all for the same amount of points as long as my flight departs ICN within 24 hours of when I landed? I figure doing this may save me money on a hotel night where and it would give me an evening to explore Seoul where I have never visited. If this is possible I would need to call delta to book it or can I do it through the website somehow? I've been unable to see how to do it on the website.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Red259
I want to fly from China to Tokyo on a partner award, however all flights get in in the evening to Japan where hotels are pretty costly. Is it possible for me to fly on day 1 from China to ICN and stay in ICN for the night and then take a morning flight to Tokyo all for the same amount of points as long as my flight departs ICN within 24 hours of when I landed? I figure doing this may save me money on a hotel night where and it would give me an evening to explore Seoul where I have never visited. If this is possible I would need to call delta to book it or can I do it through the website somehow? I've been unable to see how to do it on the website.
It should be doable, yes. However, connections now are often pricing out weirdly, esp. overnight connections. You'll need to call and insist on your routing. May need to HUACA if the first agent you get cannot price it right, or ask for escalation to global ticketing support.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Keep in mind the itinerary also must be a published revenue fare routing for it to even possibly work. Secret is to call the ST desk and have someone work with it.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:00 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Keep in mind the itinerary also must be a published revenue fare routing for it to even possibly work. Secret is to call the ST desk and have someone work with it.
It wasn't ever so, not until very recently. I still don't buy that it has to be published revenue fare -- as the whole point of awards is to get shorter, better, quicker routing than revenue fares, by optimizing the routing and airlines of all available within ST. And this isn't AA. Though yes, it may be now indeed so, which if so is a major stealth devaluation.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:30 am

These days it’s hard to know anything about the DL rules let alone IT. I feel like booking DL award tickets is such a crapshoot.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So "Exact Dates" always brings me to the "Flexible Dates" page when searching. Any way to skip that step?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.