Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unusual Cell Phone Statement

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Unusual Cell Phone Statement

The FA on my recent MIA-ATL flight announced, after the boarding door had been closed for a good five minutes, that "we could not leave the gate until everyone had their cell phones turned off, and the captain has detected that someone's cell phone is still on!" I had never heard the latter part of his announcement before. Maybe he was trying to scare someone in coach, but a man in first class immediately got up, went to his bag in the overhead compartment, and turned off his cell phone that he had forgotten about. From the reaction of the FA, I don't think this was the person he referring to.

So, on my cxn. to LIT, I was sitting next to a deadheading MD-80 captain. He's been with DL since 1991 and in our discussion of many things aircraft related, I asked him, in light of the previous FA's cell phone comment, if he could tell from the flight deck that someone's cell phone was still on. He said no, thay had no way of knowing. The FA was just blowing smoke.

I also asked him what his most interesting/unusual flight experience had been. He said it was a couple of years ago when a somewhat "hefty" man in first class proceeded to strip down to his underware. Since this was post
911, he wasn't allowed to open the flight deck door but could see thru the peephole the FA and fellow psgr. attempts to subdue the guy. Eventually they did. Of course, on arrival he was met by the police. Apparently his strange behavior was drug, and alcohol, fueled.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:35 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
yeah its a new technology that alerts the capt of cell phones that are powerd on even in airplane mode.

They issued a statement about it a few weeks ago. They are soon going to be using micro emp's that zap cell phones basically frying them. The president issued an excutive order allowing the FAA to permit airlines to use what they call mbemp (micro burst electric magnetic pulses) to actually zap and render a cell phone useless meaning you'd have to buy a new one. If they detect one powered on during take off or in flight.

If I am not mistaken it will zap any powered on electronic. The airlines are exempt from having to replace any electronic they zap due to the executive order.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL Platinum
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
yeah its a new technology that alerts the capt of cell phones that are powerd on even in airplane mode.

They issued a statement about it a few weeks ago. They are soon going to be using micro emp's that zap cell phones basically frying them. The president issued an excutive order allowing the FAA to permit airlines to use what they call mbemp (micro burst electric magnetic pulses) to actually zap and render a cell phone useless meaning you'd have to buy a new one. If they detect one powered on during take off or in flight.

If I am not mistaken it will zap any powered on electronic. The airlines are exempt from having to replace any electronic they zap due to the executive order.
Let me know when they develop a device to zap stinky feet. Or silence excessively talkative passengers! Now that would be useful.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium

I would like to see the FCC directive that allows that, jammers and the like a not legal. willful destruction of private property is another matter.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by s1c3r1a1b3b3l1e1
Let me know when they develop a device to zap stinky feet. Or silence excessively talkative passengers! Now that would be useful.
And a sleep ray for crying babies. Actually, that would be good to have at home.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
I suspect that what the FA was referring to is a GSM phone causing the "time slice buzzing" in the cockpit. This happens on most electronics, speaker phones, etc.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by WildUtah
And a sleep ray for crying babies. Actually, that would be good to have at home.
A shot of Woodford works wonders.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet

Yes this happened to me on a flight. I managed to turn mine off in time as they pressed the button but the guy with an iphone was very unhappy when it fried his device.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA - PP
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Yes this happened to me on a flight. I managed to turn mine off in time as they pressed the button but the guy with an iphone was very unhappy when it fried his device.
Let me tell you, the thing wreaks havoc on my pacemaker too...
Old Dec 3, 2010, 3:54 pm

I had a flight attendent not too long ago make a similar announcement. I just laughed. From the perspective of a frequent flier, it just sounded stupid. No such "cell phone detector" exists.

(I did have my cell phone off, so it wasn't me )
Old Dec 3, 2010, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Bonus feature of the Gogo installation?

Really hope I don't hear that rationale on a future flight.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 4:14 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
Bonus feature of the Gogo installation?
Isn't that 'NO GO' -- <lol>

Bob H
Old Dec 3, 2010, 4:18 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
A shot of Woodford works wonders.
I'm not giving Woodford to a baby. They can drink the crappy booze!
Old Dec 3, 2010, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL
I heard the same thing in August LEX-ATL. I proceeded to laugh and then later when the FA was serving drinks, he said "I see you liked my Cell Phone trick." Yes FA, I enjoy you lying directly to all of the passengers.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 4:39 pm

Programs: Delta Ham Sammich, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold, Chalet Suites Matterhorn
Originally Posted by skidv25
I had a flight attendent not too long ago make a similar announcement. I just laughed. From the perspective of a frequent flier, it just sounded stupid. No such "cell phone detector" exists.

(I did have my cell phone off, so it wasn't me )
Actually that's incorrect. A handheld cell phone detector is pretty cheap and easily available. Corrections officers use them to detect smuggled-in phones. Not that airlines have been known to use them (yet).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.