Wiki Posts
Search

DL warns: Yes Cargo = No Non-Revs

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2010, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
DL warns: Yes Cargo = No Non-Revs

Checking in at EZE last night, there were stacks of pamphlets on the counter, english one side spanish on the other, with the following message:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR NON-REVENUE PASSENGERS

Non-revenue and family and friend passengers travel may be difficult from Lima, Peru; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Santiago, Chile; Guayaquil, Ecuador; Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Even though travel may have spaces available on the system, departures from these cities may experience weight and balance situations that restrict the number of space available passengers that may board, in spite of having available seats.

We expect to have heavy volumes of cargo until further notice. It is Delta's policy that cargo is boarded prior to non-revenue. Please take this into consideration before planning travel. If you are an employee, please advise family and friends with travel plans to these destinations.

So I guess next time you see a bunch of empty seats, maybe its a new cargo contract filling the bottom of the plane. Wonder what's being carried?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 5:04 am

Delta's policy is that it will carry all revenue cargo/freight before it will board non-revenue passengers. This situation exists on other routes beyond those mentioned, but is particularly important during certain times of year where cargo/freight shipments from a particular region is higher than anticipated, or when an aircraft type is used on a route where it is near its maximum operating parameters.

Having personally experienced this weight-restricted situation before, and been denied a seat on an aircraft with numerous open seats, I can attest to it.

But it makes sense, don't you think? Delta and all airlines earn some portion of their revenue strictly from cargo/freight, and just like they do from revenue passengers, they should board those items first.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 6:50 am

I think the other key factor is that we're getting into the holiday season, when more non-revs will be trying to fly.

Nothing new here but just a reminder to avoid confusion and caution that non-revs shouldn't plan solely based on space available seats.

One question, out of curiosity: I know Delta employees can check loads online when trying to figure out what flights to take. Does that system indicate blocked seats, or would it just show open seats with no info as to whether they'll truly be available or not? (Recognizing, of course, that last minute cargo may change the situation)
Old Dec 3, 2010, 6:56 am

Programs: Skyteam
South America is becoming a booming cargo market, I'd believe it. Cargo at 100kg goes for $4.25 / kg and it doesn't require leg space.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 7:00 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by skchin
South America is becoming a booming cargo market, I'd believe it. Cargo at 100kg goes for $4.25 / kg and it doesn't require leg space.
Yep. Cargo can be more profitable than paying pax - not to mention non-revs.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 8:03 am

Programs: Delta, United
I have seen paying PAX removed from flights for weight and balance issues.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 8:20 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
EZE/SCL/LIM & JNB are amongst the hardest in their summer for NRSA to access.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 8:26 am

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by ULDB65
So I guess next time you see a bunch of empty seats, maybe its a new cargo contract filling the bottom of the plane. Wonder what's being carried?
Had a friend who couldn't get on non-rev from SCL who said he was the victim of fish, fruit & flowers. Going into summer season in South America now...next time you get fruit at your local store from Chile, thank Delta!

RE BizJet:
One question, out of curiosity: I know Delta employees can check loads online when trying to figure out what flights to take. Does that system indicate blocked seats, or would it just show open seats with no info as to whether they'll truly be available or not? (Recognizing, of course, that last minute cargo may change the situation)

TravelNet shows the available # of seats on a flight, by class if applicable. Some employees might be able to check cargo loads via other resources I would guess. Of course, not all non-rev fliers are active employees.

Last edited by PRWeezer; Dec 3, 2010 at 8:33 am
Old Dec 3, 2010, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
This is not just a Delta situation. All airlines will take paying passengers and cargo before non-revs. The Caribbean and Latin America are particularly heavy cargo markets. Having also worked for a grocery chain, it seems that the vast majority of fruit and vegetables come from Latin America!
Old Dec 3, 2010, 8:40 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Poor non-revs. BE might go out with Empty seats. What will Delta do!?!?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 8:43 am

Certain cargo will fly even before revenue PAX. I get shipments from Delta Cargo all the time. They have big stickers all over them that say "MUST FLY - MUST SCAN".
Old Dec 3, 2010, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by ULDB65
Wonder what's being carried?
Asparagus.

There's an article in this months sky magazine about Delta setting a cargo record from south America to Atlanta. The cargo was, of all things, Asparagus. So, if you get denied boarding as a non-rev, blame it on, of all things, Asparagus!!

edited to ad: The record was set on a flight from Peru to Atlanta back on Christmas day 2006. On that day, 56,000 pounds of Asparagus was shipped from Peru to Atlanta!

Its in the November issue of Sky and on page 132.

http://msp.imirus.com/Mpowered/book/vds10/i12/p0

Last edited by DL2SXM; Dec 3, 2010 at 9:31 am Reason: edited to ad correct info
Old Dec 3, 2010, 8:54 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by skchin
Cargo at 100kg goes for $4.25 / kg and it doesn't require leg space.
And it 1) doesn't bit#h and moan about upgrades/service, 2) doesn't demand compensation for every little shortcoming, and 3) sits quietly on the tarmac if there is a delay.

No wonder cargo is often chosen over pax....
Old Dec 3, 2010, 9:02 am

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
While this must be distressing for most non-rev passengers, I guess they could just do what the rest of us mere-mortals do, and just buy a ticket if they want to fly and become a revenue passenger.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 9:09 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by secretsea18
While this must be distressing for most non-rev passengers, I guess they could just do what the rest of us mere-mortals do, and just buy a ticket if they want to fly and become a revenue passenger.
Oh no! But that means they have to sit in coach and leave BE for those that paid their way in with miles/money. That would be horrible!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.