Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clearing Customs Is A Joke At ATL

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2010, 8:07 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
P.S. I think I've posted this in other threads related to this issue, but worth repeating here:

The terminal, slated to open in 2012, will add 12 new gates designed for international departures and arrivals, with its own access from nearby Interstate 75 and dedicated security and check-in areas.

As the largest international carrier in Atlanta, Delta will have priority use of six of the gates, and access to the remaining six.

As said before, let's not all get our hopes up that we'll all be breezing through the new terminal on DL, inbound or outbound.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 8:08 pm

Programs: Delta 1 MM, Platinum. Marriott-Hilton Gold
I avoid ATL at all costs. I even pay extra for an itinerary that is not through ATL. Once I almost missed a connecting flight at ATL to PVG. I now regularly use DTW for international connections. The last time I flew in from PVG, I had a 1 hour connection at DTW and it was a breeze. I use the GE program and then use the security inside the customs area to connect for the domestic (MSP) leg. Unfortunately MSP does not have a GE kiosk.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by andrewpartyman
Perhaps I should have been more clear:

My problem is not necessarily Customs/Immigration. I am well aware that they are a mess almost anywhere. My point is that when I fly Delta, pretty much everywhere in the world, I always seem to have a Sky Priority security line to go through. I find it odd that in Atlanta, their main hub, after clearing immigration and customs, Delta does not provide a Sky Priority lane for their most frequent travelers to go through when having to go be re-screened by U.S. security (i.e. TSA) for connecting flights after arriving from overseas.

As for Global Entry, no thanks. I am not going to pay the government for the privilege of having my fingerprints on file. I am one of those people who don't trust the government, and the less they know about me, the better.
Sounds like someone with something to hide. Nonetheless, I'll waive bye to you as I exit in less then one minute from the GE kiosk.

Also, to respond to an earlier post, GE is a kiosk, since when does it close?
Old Nov 29, 2010, 9:45 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.8MM, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
ATL is on my ....-list for worst US airports. JFK beats them, though, and LAX is a bit below.

DTW, MSP, IAH and DFW are on the good list. I can feel confident scheduling a 90 minute connection at these airports, but usually try for 120 just to err on the side of safety. I'd need 2.5-3 hours at JFK or ATL. 2 hours would usually work for LAX.
I always schedule at least a 2 hr layover when arriving from overseas no matter which airport I fly to. I use GE so that's a line a I don't worry about. For departure or reentry to the US my preference is still ATL and EWR because of the simplicity and ease of movement through the terminals to connecting flights. Just didn't like the attitude of the customs and TSA screeners at DTW, they never strike me as anyone that's been anywhere besides Detroit but I'm sure they're doing their best.

BTW, I'd never fly Skyteam through EWR nor *A through ATL. You like IAH but to me a pain in the a$$ if you connect from Delta. Much like connecting Skyteam with *A in CDG, I won't do it again.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I'm seeing a subtle pattern here on the part of the OP ...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-joke-atl.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ate-747-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-upgrades.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...pit-fleet.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...lly-sucks.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...like-crap.html
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:48 am

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by fastflyer
Have you been through MIA lately?

At least for AA intl-domestic connections, you are dumped out onto the street and have to fight your way back into the terminal and then clear security again.
Cheers to that. I don't know how AA operates there!
Old Nov 30, 2010, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by fastflyer
Have you been through MIA lately?

At least for AA intl-domestic connections, you are dumped out onto the street and have to fight your way back into the terminal and then clear security again.
Not true at all.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 2:59 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Originally Posted by thesaints
That said, you've gotta re-screen at JFK as well...
When you rescreen at JFK (after just having gone through immigration and showing your passport) you have to show your BP and ID. At least you don't have to do this step in ATL. I don't understand the logic behind that. But then again logic and TSA are like oil and water.

BTW, there is a Black Diamond (expert) lane in ATL when re-entering the airport after customs. In all the many times I have gone through this security in the past several years, the line has either been closed or being used for "special needs" people. Once I asked if I could use then lane and was screeched at by the woman who seems to always be herding people there in ATL. I hate going through this security farce in ATL.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 3:39 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
Originally Posted by atldlff
Yes, ATL is busy and has a ton of people flowing through it, but there isn't another Delta HUB airport that can handle the volume of ATL. It has the daily total volume of DTW, MSP and SLC combined!
Why the apologizing? Delta explicitly chooses to force that much volume through ATL. They choose to make so many of their flights go through ATL when they have a network of (very capable, mind you) hubs they could easily distribute to. Considering this, and especially considering the issues ATL has (overcrowding, huge delays in summertime with storms, generally poor on-time departures/arrivals, poor experience for incoming int'l passengers, smaller terminals (less wide concourses, fewer seats near gates, etc.), random issues like a power blackout in one concourse) you would think Delta would love to balance some of the network load across other hubs.

But they don't, they continue to stuff more into ATL and this new international terminal will not do much to ease many of the issues (is a bus ride from E->F->back to T-E really more convenient?). Delta shouldn't simply get a pass because ATL is so busy -- they're the primary reason why ATL is so busy!
Old Nov 30, 2010, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by nypdLieu
Sounds like someone with something to hide. Nonetheless, I'll waive bye to you as I exit in less then one minute from the GE kiosk.

Also, to respond to an earlier post, GE is a kiosk, since when does it close?
Agreed. People with things to hide make me nervous flying. But the world needs suckers...people whom pay cash at tolls, people who prefer to avoid GE, and so forth. Seriously, I'm all for people going the slow and droopy route, so I can get home more quickly to my family.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 4:42 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Agreed. People with things to hide make me nervous flying.
Requisite:

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Frankin

How about those who have done nothing wrong but don't want to be treated like some criminal when returning to their home country (or flying within their home country, a la the body "scanners" and TSA groping).
Old Nov 30, 2010, 4:48 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Talking

Or as Mrs. jbcarioca is prone to say "SUB tel". Anyway what would FT be without mindless rants about perceived inadequacies?

I must remember that when I complete a US international arrivals process I am being "dumped". I never quite saw it just that way.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by TheMoose
Requisite:

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Frankin

How about those who have done nothing wrong but don't want to be treated like some criminal when returning to their home country (or flying within their home country, a la the body "scanners" and TSA groping).
I'm not going to get dragged into this. Your paranoia makes my life more efficient. There are folks who still wont use the Internet because they don't trust it. Good. It would slow my connection speed if they did. I don't see how shuffling through a 700 person line protects your liberty, but if you feel differently that's fine. The info on the GE application was less evasive than on a typical mortgage application. But maybe borrowing money and pursuing home ownership deserves neither liberty nor safety.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by motytrah
You gott'a be kidding. DTW is the only airport where I have gone from plane to lounge (with full bag re-check) in 15 minutes. The airport has been very good to me over the years. On the other hand ATL, EWR, and ORD. That's another story.
same here....though I've been fairly lucky with EWR & IAH, guess I'm unlucky with ATL
Old Nov 30, 2010, 5:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Just to give anyone interested a data point. I arrived from Quito at 6:10am, was 2nd off the plane and just got through security. 1 hr 20 mins! Crazy, there is no way I'd make a 7:35 connection. Luckily I booked the 8:15 and it is starting to board as I write this. The line for American citizens at 6:15am had to be 500-600 deep, while the visitors line maybe had 50 people in line.....seems odd that it would take longer for a us citizen to pass through

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.