Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clearing Customs Is A Joke At ATL

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2010, 6:10 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by atl runner
Yes, you will clear passport control. collect your bags and go home.^^^ No more re-cehcking the checked bags and no more going through security. By the way, access to the new terminal will be off I-75--not I-85.
Hopefully they could also provide a bus shuttle from E to the new terminal groundside.

This would help connectors also by reducing the TSA load.

A very easy improvement to the existing setup that would help somewhat is a direct line post immigration that bypasses baggage claim and TSA rescreen. All it would take is a blocked off line and a single customs agent. In return, all the pax w/o bags avoid the TSA.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 6:11 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by davetravels
What do you think about this idea for ATL int'l arriving pax staying in ATL . . .

A shuttle bus from E to T (post security)! Simple!! Could be temporary, til the new terminal is opened. Maybe operate it only during peak int'l arrival hours!! No more bag re-check! No more re-screen!! It would also take huge amounts of people off the people mover system!
Again, just my opinion, but not going to happen. There's so much about the new terminal that hasn't been worked out, I don't see radical changes happening on E between now and 2012. Unless you want to sneak on to the employee shuttle somehow. But I hear that can be a long wait too.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL Plat/SC 1MM, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Sam's Club
Welcome to ATL immigration early morning! At lease I don't have to connect. Most times it works quite well, unless there's a snag. Just like late afternoon when the European flights start swarming in.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 6:40 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
By the way, access to the new terminal will be off I-75--not I-85.
More new info for me - as I use Park-N-Fly, I'm wondering how all of these logistics will work.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 6:42 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by DDCT
Quote Deleted.
Regardless - on this subject I'm learning something new.

Last edited by thezipper; Dec 3, 2010 at 7:04 am Reason: quoted post deleted
Old Nov 29, 2010, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by DeltaFirst
I'm happy that you're happy with DTW but I'm not. IMO, absolutely the worst airport for reentry. Two flights entering at once and suddenly we have a problem. OP, I think you saw ATL on it's worst day. I've come in early quite a few times and was surprised to not be delayed. Really though, no airport can handle things when it's gets busy. I take it back, DTW is not the worst, Dulles is. Sorry....
ATL is on my ....-list for worst US airports. JFK beats them, though, and LAX is a bit below.

DTW, MSP, IAH and DFW are on the good list. I can feel confident scheduling a 90 minute connection at these airports, but usually try for 120 just to err on the side of safety. I'd need 2.5-3 hours at JFK or ATL. 2 hours would usually work for LAX.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Hopefully they could also provide a bus shuttle from E to the new terminal groundside.

This would help connectors also by reducing the TSA load.

A very easy improvement to the existing setup that would help somewhat is a direct line post immigration that bypasses baggage claim and TSA rescreen. All it would take is a blocked off line and a single customs agent. In return, all the pax w/o bags avoid the TSA.
All passport control will be in the new international terminal--the current area on E will no longer exist. Obviously if an international arriving flight comes into E instead of the new terminal, they will have some provision in place to get people directly over there. If your final destination is Atlanta, you will not need to go through security upon arrival.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:01 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
All passport control will be in the new international terminal--the current area on E will no longer exist. Obviously if an international arriving flight comes into E instead of the new terminal, they have some provision in place to get people directly over there.
Which I suppose means for most of us who fly DL we'll be shuttling over, unless we win the gate lottery for the 12 new ones...if DL even uses those new gates. I haven't read about any definitive system for getting folks between terminals, to rental cars, MARTA, etc. but will be curious to see how it all works out. If anybody has updated info I'd love to hear it. I've tried to monitor the latest news, but could have missed something.

As to the post RE: OP is a troll...can't the mods block users who continually post nonsense? Though seems other thoughts have steered this thread beyond the original grievance.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Passengers who stay in ATL should be let out after immigration/customs, without having to rescreen.

Passengers connecting without checked baggage also should have their own channel, with no re-screening, since they can be kept sterile.

By implementing these two simple (and very reasonable) policies ATL would be a much better place.

That said, you've gotta re-screen at JFK as well...
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by thesaints
Passengers connecting without checked baggage also should have their own channel, with no re-screening, since they can be kept sterile.

By implementing these two simple (and very reasonable) policies ATL would be a much better place.

That said, you've gotta re-screen at JFK as well...
IIRC the rationale for re-screening all pax is because you could be coming from somewhere w different security procedures than the US, hence even carry-on bags need to be screened.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:21 pm

Programs: Dl PM-MMX2, AA Gold, UA Priemier, Hyatt D, Hilton D, Marriott Plat, Avis President's
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
If anybody has updated info I'd love to hear it. I've tried to monitor the latest news, but could have missed something.
This is about all I can fin of late... http://enr.construction.com/infrastr...lExpansion.asp

Rest-assured, these engineers and designers are not stupid. Anyone here who thinks that there is not a plan to move people where they need to go at the world's busiest airport have some serious ego issues.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
IIRC the rationale for re-screening all pax is because you could be coming from somewhere w different security procedures than the US, hence even carry-on bags need to be screened.
They think the Evildoers would pass on crashing a widebody on NYC or ATL in order to crash a CRJ somewhere in Kansas ?
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL:PM - Reserve, 2MM, FC, RW; HH: SILVER MR: SILVER
Here is the latest article on the new International Terminal in ATL - click here. This also includes a new virtual tour of the facility. Pretty impressive.

I read somewhere that the plan is for all international arrivals to happen in the new terminal and international departures will be from both Terminal E and F. Between E & F there will be 46 gates capable of handling the wide body international aircraft.

Yes, ATL is busy and has a ton of people flowing through it, but there isn't another Delta HUB airport that can handle the volume of ATL. It has the daily total volume of DTW, MSP and SLC combined!
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by LALAland
This is about all I can fin of late... http://enr.construction.com/infrastr...lExpansion.asp

Rest-assured, these engineers and designers are not stupid. Anyone here who thinks that there is not a plan to move people where they need to go at the world's busiest airport have some serious ego issues.
Hey thanks for the update. My subscription to Engineering News Record lapsed when my PR client in the building industry went belly up and stopped paying their bills. (sincerely, I used to read it regularly) This still doesn't address if/how the new terminal will connect w rental cars, MARTA transit, etc w/out going back through the original terminal. My eco ego often takes public transit to ATL. If I'm going to have to go through the existing system w the new terminal, my time ego will surpass my eco ego and I'll drive. But I'll be sure & drive our car that gets 35+ MPG for better eco ego.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)
Perhaps I should have been more clear:

My problem is not necessarily Customs/Immigration. I am well aware that they are a mess almost anywhere. My point is that when I fly Delta, pretty much everywhere in the world, I always seem to have a Sky Priority security line to go through. I find it odd that in Atlanta, their main hub, after clearing immigration and customs, Delta does not provide a Sky Priority lane for their most frequent travelers to go through when having to go be re-screened by U.S. security (i.e. TSA) for connecting flights after arriving from overseas.

As for Global Entry, no thanks. I am not going to pay the government for the privilege of having my fingerprints on file. I am one of those people who don't trust the government, and the less they know about me, the better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.