Clearing Customs Is A Joke At ATL

Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL PM '04; Hyatt Diamond
two possible solutions:

1) Clear

2) Global Traveler/Trusted Traveler... Have used in Canada. Takes two minutes to go through customs! Love it!
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by TheMoose
Sorry, but paying $100 to the U.S. Gov't for the privilege of giving them my biometric information (that they can share with almost anyone they please, if you read the fine print), just to skip the customs/immigration line is NOT going to help the TSA re-entry checkpoint problem at ATL when it's hundreds of people deep all coming off international flights, many of which may simply just be staying in ATL.

DTW, MSP, and other airports have the advantage of a separate exit for people who the international arrival point is their final destination. At ATL, everyone goes back through TSA, whether staying in ATL or continuing onward. Simply brilliant design.

Oh, I know, the brand new terminal will alleviate that. Just gotta hope the dice roll your way and your flight comes in at the new terminal, because the old terminal and it's problems (like seriously, a power outage?!) will still exist.
Agreed. Re-read original post, didn't realize crush was AFTER immigration. That's unacceptable.

That said, I remain a huge GE fan though would prefer not a single additional soul sign up for the service. If one values their time, clearly they will sign up.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:19 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by Tomphot
I didn't realize that - So is there going to be 2 sets of gov't employees staffing a customs area or will they bus the overflow over to Term-F?
I'm not sure all of the logistics have been worked out yet. Here's a recent article on it, which says they continue to work out some challenges:

http://www.smartplanet.com/people/bl...terminal/4892/
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:23 pm

Programs: Dl PM-MMX2, AA Gold, UA Priemier, Hyatt D, Hilton D, Marriott Plat, Avis President's
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter
Honestly it's a two hour minimum at that airport for the mess. As for Delta doing something... 1. It's Atlanta where the "elite" lines are generally LONGER then the normal lines (I no longer bother to go to the "sky priority" screening, the main screening is faster) 2. There are "physical limitations in that space" sad but true. 3. While DL has an elite line at ATL ,if you ask the TSA "anyone can use it" so......
1.True
2.True
3.True
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:30 pm

Programs: Dl PM-MMX2, AA Gold, UA Priemier, Hyatt D, Hilton D, Marriott Plat, Avis President's
Originally Posted by andrewpartyman
hmm doesn't the government control security everywhere? How is this any different?
It does indeed, but regular domestic screening can't to be compared to US Customs + Immigration + the TSA re-screening. I agree ATL is one of the worst, but not the worst overall. LAX and JFK were likely equally as bad, especially today, the Monday following a holiday where holiday and regular biz travelers merged.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
I've never had problems connecting in ATL. I agree the post - Customs is a pathetic mess, but I've connected in 1.5 hrs no prob.

However, when ever possible, opt OUT of ATL. DTW is a much better option.

Dave
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Andrew, given your recent debacles with foreign travel, I'd say you need some education in traveling 101! I remember reading about your moscow disaster, at least there wasnt a volcano this time around to deter your travels!

All jokes aside, GE is your answer, plain and simple.

I'm arriving into Atlanta tomorrow on a flight from TXL, connecting in AMS, at peak time. I plan on sashaying past the long lines for immigrations, smiling, happy as can be that the $100.00 I spent was a worthy investment for my time.

GE Andrew, GE. Well worth the $100.00 for 5 years of peace and mind.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 5:09 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by Tomphot
I didn't realize that - So is there going to be 2 sets of gov't employees staffing a customs area or will they bus the overflow over to Term-F?
Been thinking about that too - thought they'd construct a dedicated monorail that shuttles people from E to F. Anyone in the know?
Old Nov 29, 2010, 5:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nypdLieu

All jokes aside, GE is your answer, plain and simple.
Every time I've been in an airport with GE, it was closed. It is usually bags I'm worried about anyway, esp post customs.

Dave
Old Nov 29, 2010, 5:15 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Simply amazing. The government screws things up to begin with, makes you get re-screened which you don't have to do at other airports, and people say pay $100 and smile. I never return from overseas through Atlanta because of this re-screening processes. I live in LA and never have problems with lines for either domestic or international screening. And I fly a lot.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by waltinsocal
Simply amazing. The government screws things up to begin with, makes you get re-screened which you don't have to do at other airports, and people say pay $100 and smile. I never return from overseas through Atlanta because of this re-screening processes. I live in LA and never have problems with lines for either domestic or international screening. And I fly a lot.
Hate to say it, but there are other airports where you need to be rescreened post-customs. PIT, CVG, MCO (in some cases), CLE and others come to mind.

Definitely an inefficient system though.

Wasn't it mentioned at the DO that Delta had gotten TSA to put a SkyPriority checkpoint for the int'l recheck? I take it that hasn't happened yet - if so, that's disappointing news.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Have you been through MIA lately?

At least for AA intl-domestic connections, you are dumped out onto the street and have to fight your way back into the terminal and then clear security again.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Davescj
Every time I've been in an airport with GE, it was closed. It is usually bags I'm worried about anyway, esp post customs.
Dave
In the event that GE is closed (reader not working etc...), GE members are allowed to go in the front of the line.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 5:33 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Originally Posted by DeltaFirst
Mine to. What will change with the new terminal?
Yes, you will clear passport control. collect your bags and go home.^^^ No more re-cehcking the checked bags and no more going through security. By the way, access to the new terminal will be off I-75--not I-85.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 6:04 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
What do you think about this idea for ATL int'l arriving pax staying in ATL . . .

A shuttle bus from E to T (post security)! Simple!! Could be temporary, til the new terminal is opened. Maybe operate it only during peak int'l arrival hours!! No more bag re-check! No more re-screen!! It would also take huge amounts of people off the people mover system!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.